FG Kicking Game

SHOSS

A bad alum(just rails on our precious mean green) and I were having a "discussion" about the fg kicking game, and I stated that I thought the kicking game would be a strength going into the season.

He asked me why, and I told him that Olen was a pretty solid kicker... We looked at the stats for the last 2 seasons, and it was kind of shocking to me what I saw... Blocked fg's aren't tracked for a kicker's stats, but I was shocked to see that Olen only made 50% of his kicks as a sophomore, where in his freshman year, he burst onto the scene with 87%...

Here are his makes/missed broken down by distance...

xtra points

2010 21 - 23

2011 32 - 33

2012 8 - 9

1 - 19 -------kind of surprised that we didn't have ANY attempts from this close. don't think we are all that amazing with red zone efficiency. so, do we either score, turn the ball over, or go for it and fail on 4th down?

2010 0 - 0

2011 0 - 0

2012 0 - 0

20 - 29

2010 5 - 5

2011 2 - 3

2012 1 - 1

30 - 39 - darn near automatic. again, blocks not being counted on stats?

2010 1 - 1

2011 1 - 2

2012 5 - 6

40 - 49 - this is the biggest fall off... blocks?

2010 2 - 3

2011 3 - 9

2012 0 - 3

50+ - seems like when we have a kick in the 40 yard range, we should take an offsides/delay of game or sack to move us back to 50+.

2010 1 - 1

2011 2 - 2

2012 0 - 0

Hope Mr Olen rights the ship. We'll see.

Go Mean Green!

Maybe our offense needs to score and not rely on the kickers 4 times in one game..Thompson over throwing receivers all day isn't gonna cut it.

Red-zone offense needs improvement as well. Thompson really struggled here (4th down pass out the back of the end zone anyone?) and has for most of the year, save for a couple passes to Chancellor where BC made it happen after the catch. Troy stacked the box most of the game but especially in the red-zone.

• Upvote 1

1 - 19 -------kind of surprised that we didn't have ANY attempts from this close. don't think we are all that amazing with red zone efficiency. so, do we either score, turn the ball over, or go for it and fail on 4th down?

You have to be inside the 2 to kick a field goal under 19 yards. I imagine all three of those scenarios you mention have happened during Zach's time here.

Maybe our offense needs to score and not rely on the kickers 4 times in one game..Thompson over throwing receivers all day isn't gonna cut it.

I would say that we aren't allowed to blame the kicker if he misses one or two (especially if they're long). But the 40-49 yard field goal is where nearly half of his kicks have been taken from. It's the yardage window that takes the most kicks. You simply cannot miss this window three times in one game.

The kicker is there to at least get SOMETHING if the offense did stall.

Keep in my mind, we left at least 5 FG's on the field on Saturday. I'm counting the two times we went for it on 4th and 10+ in FG range. We went for it their because Coach didn't trust Olen. I understand that the last time we went for it on 4th was with about 4-5 minutes left (and we needed to go for it)., but if we make some FG's before that, we wouldn't have needed to go for it.

The kicker missing three FG's caused us 15 points from 5 missed opportunies and 3 missed FG's.

The offense may have not been able to score, but they gained yardage and got us into position to get at least some points.

The Kicker, NOT the offense lost the game for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Thompson's job is to deliver a quality-thrown ball. Did he do his part?

He got the team in scoring position several times. If the field goals were made, we would have won. Yes, Thompson had a few bad passes but it happens. Did he pull his weight, I believe he did.

There is no excuse for the kicking game. It was pathetic.

People that gave me -2... What's your reasoning.

The offense at the very least put the kicker in the position to get some points.

I didn't -2 you, but when you say "the kicker" that's not entirely fair to Olen. He missed two in the 40-49 yard range, then wasn't given the chance to kick the short one (27 I believe?) because they brought in the backup. I think giving him a shot at the one would have gotten a chance to have his confidence going. I really question the switch of a kicker in the spot. Olen should have made the first two, no question, but they weren't exactly chip shots.

• Upvote 1

Olen needs to take a break from starting for sure. That first kick? No excuse. Watch all three missed field goals on this link.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=322660249

I don't care how many times in practice he nails the crap out of it....he sucks on the field. If he can't perform under pressure he needs to hop in the backseat and enjoy the free ride.

It has been noted many times on here so far but if we make 3 of the 5 field goal opportunities we win this game. Instead we lost... it is on him. I don't think he has the disposition to put this behind him and get better either. Some people don't have steady nerves and what we need is the Audie Murphy of kickers to come in here and perform on every gameday. His freshman year was great but he has just gotten worse. I don't expect to see him play any further games.

The mean green not only looked bad on special teams but they were caught off guard at the start of the second half. The onside kick we lost coupled by the 3 missed FG took the air right out of us and whats up with us not returning any punts?

I am sure the mean green coach is doing whatever is needed to correct the issues we are having...if not the upcoming game in Florida will be another bummer! :(

Its time for a Change!

• Upvote 1

I didn't -2 you, but when you say "the kicker" that's not entirely fair to Olen. He missed two in the 40-49 yard range, then wasn't given the chance to kick the short one (27 I believe?) because they brought in the backup. I think giving him a shot at the one would have gotten a chance to have his confidence going. I really question the switch of a kicker in the spot. Olen should have made the first two, no question, but they weren't exactly chip shots.

I totally agree with that. Yes, Olen was putting in a pretty sucky performance, but it was almost as if he was pulled out of anger and spite. He should have been allowed to keep on kicking, and that includes the two times we went for it on fourth. All in my perfect 20-20 hindsight opinion of course.

• Upvote 2

I did a little hunting on percentage of field goals made. The data is from 2005 and based on the NFL so I would expect the college numbers to be a little worse.

Olen mised 2 47 yarders. That has a 72% chance which is good but not automatic. Your going to miss 28 times out of 100. At 48 yards, the percentage drops to 62%. Olen just had 2 of his 28 in a row which is unusual, but within the normal stats for an NFL kicker.

My personal thought was Olen should have been given the chance at the 27 yarder, certainly over a true Freshman who had never kicked in a game before.

I still think losing was a group effort and certainly not Olen's sole fault.

I'm pasting the link below if I can from my iPad.

http://bookofodds.com/Daily-Life-Activities/Sports/Articles/A0153-Behind-the-Numbers-It-s-Easier-to-Kick-a-Field-Goal-Today

• Upvote 1

I did a little hunting on percentage of field goals made. The data is from 2005 and based on the NFL so I would expect the college numbers to be a little worse.

Olen mised 2 47 yarders. That has a 72% chance which is good but not automatic. Your going to miss 28 times out of 100. At 48 yards, the percentage drops to 62%. Olen just had 2 of his 28 in a row which is unusual, but within the normal stats for an NFL kicker.

My personal thought was Olen should have been given the chance at the 27 yarder, certainly over a true Freshman who had never kicked in a game before.

I still think losing was a group effort and certainly not Olen's sole fault.

I'm pasting the link below if I can from my iPad.

http://bookofodds.co...ield-Goal-Today

You know I agree Olen should have taken the 3rd FG attempt, going by the stats he had a better chance of making it than Paul.

If you are going to let a new kicker kick it is better to start off with that kicker or at least use the 2 kicker system that Alabama uses.

They kick off with Foster and use Shelley to kick FG's up to 45 yrds, beyond 45 they use Foster again?

Hey could not hurt look at what it did for them last year, I think Shelly had like 5 FGS in the Champ game?

• Upvote 1

Since Paul had not ever kicked in a college game, how do the stats suggest that Olen had a better chance?

Olen is 8 out of 9 between 20-29 yards (per an earlier post). That equates to a 89% chance of making it!

I am looking up stats on Paul and he made 7 FG's in 2010 and 0 through his first 4 games in 2011 per max preps.

Does not take rocket science to see the big picture. (IMO)

• Upvote 1

Olen is 8 out of 9 between 20-29 yards (per an earlier post). That equates to a 89% chance of making it!

I am looking up stats on Paul and he made 7 FG's in 2010 and 0 through his first 4 games in 2011 per max preps.

Does not take rocket science to see the big picture. (IMO)

But how has he done in college and how has any training and preparation he has done in the past year impacted his abilities? Was he coming off of missing two field goals in the same game? Where was his head compared to Olen? Stats are a nice indicator, but sometimes you have to look at the situation and make the best determination in the moment. This one game was not the big picture, it was the small picture. The coaches looked at the situation and made a decision. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean that it was wrong. I probably would have done the same thing given how things had gone to that point.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Downvote 1

But how has he done in college and how has any training and preparation he has done in the past year impacted his abilities? Was he coming off of missing two field goals in the same game? Where was his head compared to Olen? Stats are a nice indicator, but sometimes you have to look at the situation and make the best determination in the moment. This one game was not the big picture, it was the small picture. The coaches looked at the situation and made a decision. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean that it was wrong. I probably would have done the same thing given how things had gone to that point.

I agree, the coaches went with their gut and made a change, but it was the wrong change. I stated in a different post that the MG have 3 kickers (2 being freshman) and Olen. Olen is the veteran and should be leading but when you make a change you go with the best next in line, Paul was not the best next in line.

Never the less the MG are going to get things going right against FAU and Thompson is going to lead us to a 14 point victory!

• Upvote 1