Notre Dame to ACC

golfingomez

Big East is losing Pittsburgh too.

--- The Big East is huge still, especially basketball (16 teams this year) ... just not in football..... I don't see U Conn.., St.Johns ..., Seton Hall .... Marquette..., DePaul..., Providence...,etc. wanting to add more CUSA universities.. Louisville, Cincinnatti, Memphis, Houston, were attactive because of their basketball history more than football ... toss in SMU to keep Houston happy as a regional opponent and besides they are fairly well known and have some football history (some bad) ..... and is a private school as many of them are .

--- This whole BE deal especially SMU reminds me of an old guy who leaves his long-term stable wife for a young hot chick who then takes his money and leaves. They left a rather stable conference ( CUSA ) for a supposedly bigger name one and the name colleges there ..then those names (football-wise) up and leave. SMU is now screwed. Lots of travel expense, no close opponents other than Houston and not a lot of local fan interest in teams they play...

--- I have always felt the Big East breakup would happen and cause a somewhat domino effect because it is so huge and basketball only schools don't get along well with the football ones... that was a large factor in what killed the old Missouri Valley that I knew at UNT when I was a student. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

And hockey... Not that anyone here cares.

Call me crazy but I do think hockey could work at a university in Texas and it only seems natural it would be North Texas with Dallas already having the pro team and a pretty decent hockey market. You team up with the Stars with a nice Stars Center in Denton with small arena and it would work in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

There may have been some very preliminary discussions about hockey :ph34r:, but the problems come in three areas. First, and as a surprise to those outside the sport, hockey is expensive compared to other sports, and when you add the costs of renting ice for practice and games (the Pit is not convertible, games would be at Starscenter Frisco) - it ends up being prohibitive. Second, and no surprise here - baseball is a priority. Third, travel will be a problem. The only team we'd be familiar with is Denver, and we would be looking at joining the NCHC - to be ritually killed on a weekly basis. The "close" teams would be Denver, Colorado College and Nebraska-Omaha.

However, there are a few good reasons to join. Hockey is doing will in the DFW market even with the Stars in a rough patch, it provides a unique yet news-worthy sport to the market and the cost of adding a women's team would be minimal in addition to the men's.

The most interesting reason is that we're starting to see Dallas-area players have an impact in the college and AHL ranks. One of the biggest shocks in the last few years was having a native Texan lead the NCAA in goals - Colgate University and Dallas Jesuit alum Austin Smith, who will probably join the Dallas Stars next season.

• Upvote 1