Green Brigade

UNTLifer

Took my parents to their first UNT game tonight. My parents are both retired professors and have both taught at over 10 universities across the US so they've seen their share of college football games. My dad said it was by far the best marching band performance he's seen at a college game before, couldn't stop talking about it.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Took my parents to their first UNT game tonight. My parents are both retired professors and have both taught at over 10 universities across the US so they've seen their share of college football games. My dad said it was by far the best marching band performance he's seen at a college game before, couldn't stop talking about it.

I meant +1. iPad problems....

Hard to rate the Ocean of Soul half time performance as they performed to the student side, but they were loud and enthusiastic throughout the game. The GB was great but the team, cheerleaders and band could come up with better entrances. NT has a giant band this year and musically they are always first rate; but this could be the best performing band in a long time.

• Upvote 1

The brigade is better by all measures. They have a bigger outfit, but their marching is always complex, intricate and equally sharp. The brigade also has far more complex music choices as well.

TSU's band relied on easily recognizable (and in this case, far easier) music, easier to execute formations, small size, and showmanship. Too bad that as good as they might be, and as loud as they might think they are, they're still outclassed.

Silver, you and I both got what we wanted from the GB!! Big drum break and a Tuba break!

Go Green Brigade!

What I want from them is not filing into the stadium. Then getting in line and THEN starting their pre-game pageantry(a misnomer for sure). Saturdays entrance is actually worse than what I've been critical about up to this point. And as to the drumline. What I had in mind is a full FEATURE like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqbHvZIzpgE&feature=related

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Well, I enjoyed both bands at halftime...actually stayed to watch. Both are very different sort of bands and each has something to offer.

As usual, the Green Brigade can outplay anyone...I liked the pageantry and "up beat-ness" of the Ocean of Soul and actually thought the announcer added to the fun of watching the Ocean of Soul. But, they are no match musically for the Green Brigade...they were even out of step during most of their marching...but loved the drum majors and the spirit that band put into their presentation.

Drum line for the Green Brigade sounded great....

I am wondering if the size of the Green Brigade does anything to dampen the type of show Silver would like to see it preform? Would it be tad more agile and able to do more from a pageantry and exciting movement standpoint if it were a tad smaller? Lots of pieces just sit in place with the Green Brigade. Having never played in a marching band, I wonder if "size matters"? No pun intended.

• Upvote 1

My one complaint was after the National Anthem/Alma Maters, the band just kind of moseyed down the field for the football teams entrance and then kind of lined up and got ready. Wish this was an organized march. That is all.

Edited by UNTLifer

I agree the entrance to the stadium could be way more powerful and impressively done. Other than that, you don't have time for a full on drum feature when you have to march your show, play for the dancers and leave time for the other band to play their show at halftime. ...but I would like to see a drum line feature along the sidelines every game, perhaps between quarters?

Well, I enjoyed both bands at halftime...actually stayed to watch. Both are very different sort of bands and each has something to offer.

As usual, the Green Brigade can outplay anyone...I liked the pageantry and "up beat-ness" of the Ocean of Soul and actually thought the announcer added to the fun of watching the Ocean of Soul. But, they are no match musically for the Green Brigade...they were even out of step during most of their marching...but loved the drum majors and the spirit that band put into their presentation.

Drum line for the Green Brigade sounded great....

I am wondering if the size of the Green Brigade does anything to dampen the type of show Silver would like to see it preform? Would it be tad more agile and able to do more from a pageantry and exciting movement standpoint if it were a tad smaller? Lots of pieces just sit in place with the Green Brigade. Having never played in a marching band, I wonder if "size matters"? No pun intended.

I have no earthly idea why the band has ballooned up to it's current size (supposedly about 350 to 400). You can make the same "big sound" with a much smaller unit (250 will get it done). And as KRAM1 speculated, you can be much more.....nimble. As of Saturday, they have gotten pretty unwieldy.

The only reason that I can think of to let the band balloon up in size is that if you have 400 instead of 250 or 300, then you have the family and friends of 100 to 150 more band members coming into the stadium to watch their friend/loved one perform.

I understand they made a concerted effort to expand the band. Previously, most of the members were music ed majors. That is still the case but non-majors are now welcomed as well. The rationale being membership in the band brings more spirt to the fold, interested and surportive alumni, etc etc. It must be working, just look at how many former band members are active in this forum.

• Upvote 2

What I want from them is not filing into the stadium. Then getting in line and THEN starting their pre-game pageantry(a misnomer for sure). Saturdays entrance is actually worse than what I've been critical about up to this point. And as to the drumline. What I had in mind is a full FEATURE like this.....

I don't disagree with you regarding the entrance the GB makes. But I completely disagree with you regarding the halftime show. To my ears, the main piece WAS a drumline feature, re-arranged for the entire band. I don't know what more could be asked for.

...and I LOVE having a band this big, filling up the field!

I have no earthly idea why the band has ballooned up to it's current size (supposedly about 350 to 400). You can make the same "big sound" with a much smaller unit (250 will get it done). And as KRAM1 speculated, you can be much more.....nimble. As of Saturday, they have gotten pretty unwieldy.

The only reason that I can think of to let the band balloon up in size is that if you have 400 instead of 250 or 300, then you have the family and friends of 100 to 150 more band members coming into the stadium to watch their friend/loved one perform.

Just to make sure I understand you.... Adding to your list of complains about the GB is now "the band is too large"? Give me a break.

• Upvote 4

I don't disagree with you regarding the entrance the GB makes. But I completely disagree with you regarding the halftime show. To my ears, the main piece WAS a drumline feature, re-arranged for the entire band. I don't know what more could be asked for.

To my ears they had a piece of the action (solo), but they still were not the feature like they used to be.

...and I LOVE having a band this big, filling up the field!

....and having even less showmanship than ever.​

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 4