The Chick-Fil-A controversy

He's also East Coast. They have a different political philosophy regarding homosexuality than we do down in these here parts. They're so smart that they ignore God and science to push their agenda.

I'm done with the arguing about this subject, but you really aren't doing yourself any favors by making such a rash generalization.

Flaw 1: I do not, nor anyone else* on the East Coast (which includes incredibly conservative Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida), have an agenda.

Flaw 2: I do not ignore science, in fact I am a science buff. The arguments you're making with science have nothing to do with marriage. Just because someone on a Christian Apologetic science website says that biology is a good reason to outlaw gay marriage doesn't make it a valid argument. You have yet to refute the fact that there are hundreds of other mammals who engage in homosexual activity, nor even acknowledge it.

Flaw 3 (that I forgot to put originally): The East Coast is incredibly diverse. But I think the worst implication of your post is how you assume we have a similar political philosophy, or even how homosexuality is a part of politics. None of that is true. See first flaw for the list of very conservative East Coast states. That last statement you made is also pretty offensive and is loaded. Go live on the East Coast for awhile, instead of just taking what the conservative media spews about a location that isn't Texas or the Deep South as fact.

Keep using science where it helps your cause, and ignoring it when it doesn't. That's the best way, right? Science is only correct and useful when it coincides with the Bible, right?

*as a group. Obviously, there are people across the world with an agenda, but implying that there is some kind of East Coast agenda where we want to paint the world with our coastal qualities is absurd.

Edited by UNTstormchaser

However, I wonder what would Jesus do about all of this? He'd probably, you know, associate with homosexuals, Christians and other sinners alike. He'd befriend them, He'd support them, He'd likely learn about their pain, their joy and their hopes. It's that whole love your neighbor thing again. The man stopped the stoning of a women doing things he very much disagreed with and, without being a dick about it, said go and sin no more. He didn't demand anything of her and didn't put any conditions on that love.

Yeah, there's the "go and sin no more" that would be the problem today. That was the condition Jesus gave her. He didn't say, "Let her go, she's done nothing wrong." He acknowledged that she'd sinned and, in helping spare her life, gave her the opportunity to stop sinning, repent, and begin a new life.

None of that scenario is congruent with homosexuals protesting Chik-Fil-A. They do not accept or acknowledge that they are sinning. Therefore, they have no intention of repenting.

Quite the opposite. They want total acceptance of their action by those who do recognize their actions as sinful and harmful. And, further, they intend to go to Chik-Fil-A's on Friday and flaunt their sin in front of the stores. This is nothing like the woman caught in adultry.

Jesus said, "Go and sin no more." He didn't say, "Go and flaunt your sinfulness publicly."

The original post of this thread was the gal in the video trying to take Christians to task for the view of homosexuality. And, she misused the Bible in her effort. Stormchaser entered and pretended to rap us on the knuckles for opposing gay marriage...also mistating the Bible, but at least he admitted not having full knowledge of it. He's intelligent, and I hope he will study it more in depth. It's unlikely that gal in the video would do so, but I hope she does someday as well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

That Quoner thing is both hilarious and awesome. Quoner is one of my new favorite people.

Just tried to go here for lunch, completely forgetting about the whole "controversy". Line in the drive thru was 4 times as long as usual and the inside was the same way.

Genius marketing.

Could a "no such thing as global warming" proclamation be far behind??

Edited by UNT90

Yeah, there's the "go and sin no more" that would be the problem today. That was the condition Jesus gave her. He didn't say, "Let her go, she's done nothing wrong." He acknowledged that she'd sinned and, in helping spare her life, gave her the opportunity to stop sinning, repent, and begin a new life.

None of that scenario is congruent with homosexuals protesting Chik-Fil-A. They do not accept or acknowledge that they are sinning. Therefore, they have no intention of repenting.

Quite the opposite. They want total acceptance of their action by those who do recognize their actions as sinful and harmful. And, further, they intend to go to Chik-Fil-A's on Friday and flaunt their sin in front of the stores. This is nothing like the woman caught in adultry.

Jesus said, "Go and sin no more." He didn't say, "Go and flaunt your sinfulness publicly."

The original post of this thread was the gal in the video trying to take Christians to task for the view of homosexuality. And, she misused the Bible in her effort. Stormchaser entered and pretended to rap us on the knuckles for opposing gay marriage...also mistating the Bible, but at least he admitted not having full knowledge of it. He's intelligent, and I hope he will study it more in depth. It's unlikely that gal in the video would do so, but I hope she does someday as well.

That's actually the plan. Despite my atheism, I'd like to have a sound knowledge of the Bible, the Qur'an, etc. I have the Confucian Analects saved in a word document on my computer (although that's because I love Confucian philosophy, not because I want to learn it in order to refute it). I figure that if I am going to disagree with and not believe in something, I should know 100% about what it is. I'm getting there, but it's a long process.

Of course she sinned again. She sinned probably thousands of times. Maybe she really enjoyed unwed sexual relations and never let go of that. Maybe she liked to cuss. Maybe she liked to throw pebbles at lepers. It's all possible. If Jesus knew he could walk up to her, say those words and have it be cool, he wouldn't have needed to die.

Sins are flaunted all the time by people who really want to be right with God. It's fallen nature, and if you're going to focus on publlic displays of a behavior everyone knows is sinful, I hope you'll be tightening the screws on everyone who overindulges next St. Patrick's Day or even around the tailgate lots this fall.

This just bothers people more because it is a cultural and social change and these types of things never go well. I'm not arguing for anyone to change views on sexuality, just stop demonizing this group of people. I think the CFA boycott is dumb as hell, but just stating my opinion re: some of the rhetoric in this thread.

I also hope the girl in the video comes to study the bible more later as well, but I don't think we've necessarily figured out a good way to encourage her to do so.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I don't know - at the very least I'm hoping Greenmachine will call me a queer and make fun of any girls I know.

He's actually already sent threatening messages to me for my views. He deemed it perfectly acceptable to call people on being rude and for namecalling, but when I called him on being an inconsiderate asswipe, he spazzed. I got a message entitled "FU" in which he attempted to set up a fight with me, and he called me a fat MF...all because I called him a douchebag hahahaha. I'm assuming this guy has a track record of being a totally immature douche, can anyone confirm this? I find it hysterical that at 43 years old, people can still lack basic social skills, maturity, and sensibility, and find it okay to challenge someone 24 years younger to a fight.

Over half a million expected to turn out in support of a nation wide Chic-Fil-A appreciation day.

http://chicago.cbslo...preciation-day/

Rick

What I love about that article FFR is that Rahm Emanuel speaks out against Chick-Fil-A because he states they don't share Chicago's values. This is the same man that has reached out to Louis Farrakan for assistance with the city's crime problem. Hmmm, isn't Farrakan a known racist that preaches violence as a means to change? Guess that reflects Chicago's values, and if so and I owned Chick-Fil-A, I wouldn't want to be in their city.

• Upvote 1

Of course she sinned again. She sinned probably thousands of times. Maybe she really enjoyed unwed sexual relations and never let go of that. Maybe she liked to cuss. Maybe she liked to throw pebbles at lepers. It's all possible. If Jesus knew he could walk up to her, say those words and have it be cool, he wouldn't have needed to die.

Sins are flaunted all the time by people who really want to be right with God. It's fallen nature, and if you're going to focus on publlic displays of a behavior everyone knows is sinful, I hope you'll be tightening the screws on everyone who overindulges next St. Patrick's Day or even around the tailgate lots this fall.

This just bothers people more because it is a cultural and social change and these types of things never go well. I'm not arguing for anyone to change views on sexuality, just stop demonizing this group of people. I think the CFA boycott is dumb as hell, but just stating my opinion re: some of the rhetoric in this thread.

I also hope the girl in the video comes to study the bible more later as well, but I don't think we've necessarily figured out a good way to encourage her to do so.

Good post.

• Upvote 2

I love me some Jesus, and I know He loves me, but I'll be darned if I'm not in need of some forgiveness when I'm speeding up I-35 on gamedays because I'm so excited to see the Mean Green.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

He's actually already sent threatening messages to me for my views. He deemed it perfectly acceptable to call people on being rude and for namecalling, but when I called him on being an inconsiderate asswipe, he spazzed. I got a message entitled "FU" in which he attempted to set up a fight with me, and he called me a fat MF...all because I called him a douchebag hahahaha. I'm assuming this guy has a track record of being a totally immature douche, can anyone confirm this? I find it hysterical that at 43 years old, people can still lack basic social skills, maturity, and sensibility, and find it okay to challenge someone 24 years younger to a fight.

Now I have to call you a blatant liar. I said if you would like, we could discuss our differences at a tailgate. If you find that threatening, I am sorry and will say you need to grow some thicker skin.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now I have to call you a blatant liar. I said if you would like, we could discuss our differences at a tailgate. If you find that threatening, I am sorry and will say you need to grow some thicker skin.

If you'd like, I'll copy and paste the messages in a brand new forum dedicated to that for all to see, and we can all debate on whether or not you actually meant "discuss", or if you meant fight. I think given the contextual clues of frequent profanity, and calling me a pussy after I told you I wouldn't fight you, that most would see things through my eyes. Like I told you, grow up.

• Upvote 2

If you'd like, I'll copy and paste the messages in a brand new forum dedicated to that for all to see, and we can all debate on whether or not you actually meant "discuss", or if you meant fight. I think given the contextual clues of frequent profanity, and calling me a pussy after I told you I wouldn't fight you, that most would see things through my eyes. Like I told you, grow up.

I did call you a pussy, I think you are a pussy. But I never mentioned a fight, I said we could discuss our difference. FFR got pissed at me a long time ago and offered to discuss our differences at a tailgate, I never once thought he was threatening me. Sorry if you don't like that I don't agree with you, I do think you a brash little prick.

• Downvote 5

I did call you a pussy, I think you are a pussy. But I never mentioned a fight, I said we could discuss our difference. FFR got pissed at me a long time ago and offered to discuss our differences at a tailgate, I never once thought he was threatening me. Sorry if you don't like that I don't agree with you, I do think you a brash little prick.

I did? Did we discuss it, and if so how did it go? I hope we ended up sharing beers and stories afterward.

This is the best part about being a guy and dissagreements. At least it was in HS and college. You may kick my ass but odds are later we're gonna end up respecting each other and throwing down some brews later.

Rick