The Chick-Fil-A controversy

"Dallas PD" Sgt. Left Holding Bag Over Chick-Fil-A Sandwich"

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/08/08/dpd-sgt-left-holding-bag-over-chick-fil-a-sandwich/

"The association says what concerns them most is that before the internal investigation into the matter was resolved the sergeant was moved to a midnight shift at the Lew Sterret Justice Center, which the association views as punishment."

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

BFD. He has every right to say what he said even if it is discriminatory speech.

Social Media only proves that the old saying to be very much true "Better to be thought a fool then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

• Upvote 1

What was discriminatory about it? He was simply expressing his opinion of the SC decision. Does he not have every right to do so?

Whether you or I agree with his position...it was not hateful in any way...simply the guys opinion. Seems i have seen and heard several others expressing the same view...or is it only OK to express your view if you agree with the decision?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some might disagree as to whether it's a "sad day," but the rest of his quote really isn't up for debate.

What...about the founding father's take on the whole thing? Probably...but then they probably would've been equally disturbed on days like December 6, 1865, July 9, 1868. February 3, 1870 and August 18, 1920 so I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in their perceived opinions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What was discriminatory about it? He was simply expressing his opinion of the SC decision. Does he not have every right to do so?

Whether you or I agree with his position...it was not hateful in any way...simply the guys opinion. Seems i have seen and heard several others expressing the same view...or is it only OK to express your view if you agree with the decision?

Perfectly fine for him to express his opinion.

Just as it's perfectly fine for others to express their opinion of Cathy as a narrow-minded and bigoted old man who, ironically, is being a HUGE drama queen.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

What...about the founding father's take on the whole thing? Probably...but then they probably would've been equally disturbed on days like December 6, 1865, July 9, 1868. February 3, 1870 and August 18, 1920 so I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in their perceived opinions.

But if Karl Marx had something to say on the matter, you'd be all ears?

Just as it's perfectly fine for others to express their opinion of Cathy as a narrow-minded and bigoted old man

He's 60 years old. Not young, but not really that old. As far as narrow-minded and bigoted, he has the same views regarding homosexual marriage that Comrade Obama expressed just a few years ago.

who, ironically, is being a HUGE drama queen.

How so? Surely nothing to compare with the dates you cutely and dramatically put into your post above.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

But if Karl Marx had something to say on the matter, you'd be all ears?

He's 60 years old. Not young, but not really that old.

How so? Surely nothing to compare with the dates you cutely and dramatically put into your post above.

Probably not. Groucho now...

That's it...looks like a hard 60.

Simply making the point that some of our white, slave-holding founding FATHERS would probably be pretty put out and disturbed by the idea of minorities and women voting. Disagree? so maybe its about time we stopped going to the "Founding Fathers must be rolling over in their graves" or "this is the end of our once-great nation" well every time America skews in a way that doesn't line up with your ideology.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Simply making the point that some of our white, slave-holding founding FATHERS would probably be pretty put out and disturbed by the idea of minorities and women voting. Disagree? so maybe its about time we stopped going to the "Founding Fathers must be rolling over in their graves" or "this is the end of our once-great nation" well every time America skews in a way that doesn't line up with your ideology.

My ideology? Or are you talking about Cathy's ideology? Regardless, our nation was founded with a certain common ideology in mind. Our nation is still governed by the Constitution, the document that the founding father created based on that ideology. So it's very natural for Americans to consider the words of our founding fathers.

If Cathy said, "This is the end of our once-great nation," I'll admit that that's a little over the top. If he didn't, then you're just making things up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It seems lately if you say something that isn't popular or en vogue you are labeled a bigot and whatnot.

I remember when #44 took office if people disagreed with his policies they were labeled as racists and bigots.

/shrugs

Just a sign of the divisive times we live in today.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Probably not. Groucho now...

That's it...looks like a hard 60.

Simply making the point that some of our white, slave-holding founding FATHERS would probably be pretty put out and disturbed by the idea of minorities and women voting.

What gives you the indication they would be? After all, despite having flaws... because mankind have flaws, they were the ones who wrote that "All Men Are Created Equal". Seems in just a few short years their overall plan came true and became a shining light of freedom and oportunity for all men and women world wide?

Rick

What gives you the indication they would be? After all, despite having flaws... because mankind have flaws, they were the ones who wrote that "All Men Are Created Equal". Seems in just a few short years their overall plan came true and became a shining light of freedom and oportunity for all men and women world wide?

Rick

Nope. All men were not, in their opinion, "created equal". Some could be sold at a much higher price.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1269536/The-Founding-Fathers-and-Slavery

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Nope. All men were not, in their opinion, "created equal". Some could be sold at a much higher price.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1269536/The-Founding-Fathers-and-Slavery

Yet in a few short years they were ALL freed as our founders meant for them to be... 20 years before serfdom would end in Russia and 148 years and counting before its ended on the Ivory Coast, as the slave trade, child slave and sex trade is still in full motion there today.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Yet in a few short years they were ALL freed as our founders meant for them to be... 20 years before serfdom would end in Russia and 148 years and counting before its ended on the Ivory Coast, as the slave trade, child slave and sex trade is still in full motion there today.

Rick

If we consider the gap between the founding of the country and the freeing of slaves a few short years, I don't see why you get so worked up about our current athletic administration.

• Upvote 3

I have been calling Chick-Fil-A Homophobic chicken for months. It has not stopped me from eating there. I think gay people should be able to get married and have all the rights of a man and women who are married. I also believe many of the people who own large companies are old, white, and republican. So, they probably are against gay marriage. If I let their stance on the subject stop me from eating or going to a business they own then I would not leave my house too much, and I would have to cook all the time. They have the right to believe what they want and so do I. Of course if they tried to push their ideals on too me I would have to go ape shit on them.

P.S. GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Rick

Tell ya what. Let's make Obama President for just "a few short years" past his term in office...he'll be out by 2093. Deal?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2