The Chick-Fil-A controversy

The above post is for informational purposes only. I think the video presents both sides well. It also talks about the two events that are planned for Aug. 1. I will not be going to Chick-Fil-A on August 1 because I think the product sucks. I have not been to a Chick-Fil-A in more than 25 years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

If gay people wanna marry, I got no problem with it. If Chic Fil A wants to oppose that, I'm fine with that, too. They lose enough of my business on Sundays, which is theoretically the best day for Chic Fil A, btw.

Fact of the matter is that I have no idea what the money I spend at the grocery store, auto dealership, gas station, or electronics store goes to. I know it purchases me a product I want at a price I'm agreeable to. That's the business of the place. Just like I could give a crap about some idiot celebrities politics as long as they entertain me.

Just. Don't. Care.

But hey, it's cool if these other people do. Support them. Don't. Buy more. Buy less. Actually, I guess I prefer people buy less, because no matter what location you're at, Chic Fil A drive-thru lines are OBSCENELY long. I bet it's because people can't get it on the best day - Sunday.

• Upvote 3

She quotes and gives examples of the Old Testament, God's law to his chosen people at the time, the Israelites, and their history. Christians don't live under the old law. There were no Christians in the Old Testament because...Christ hadn't been born yet. Crazy, right? She doesn't even know what audience she is addressing.

She should flip on through to the New Testament, read the letters of Paul, Jesus' appointee to take the gospel to non-Jews. However, I don't think she really has an interest in the Bible. My real guess is, she doesn't have the intellectual honesty or capacity to grasp the Old Testament versus the New Testament anyway.

But...that's what happens when people who haven't studied the Bible try to interpret the Bible.

TFLF's Really, Really Basic Bible Basics:

Old Testament - God creates. God makes rules for his chosen people; they sometime follow them, sometimes not. God send prophets to foretell the coming of Jesus.

New Testament - Jesus comes to Earth, brings gospel to God's chosen people; they reject it, kill him, he is resurrected. Jesus appoints Paul to take the gospel to the Gentiles. Paul takes the gospel to the Gentiles. Coverted Jews and accepting Gentiles comprise the first Christians. John has visions of the end times.

Video girl has no idea that she doesn't know what she's saying. Sadly, enough.

Finally, there's nothing controversial about a professing Christian understanding the Bible and applying the principals taught by Jesus, Paul, etc. therein. It's only controversial, I suppose, to homosexuals.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Boy, she sure loves to label the views of Mr. Cathey (sp.?) as hate. Never did he say that he hates anybody. By her own definition and usage of the word, I am only left to assume that she hates the Lord Jesus.

I agree with 90, the leap from disagreement to hatred is a wide rift.

• Upvote 3

In the now famous words of the great philosopher, Forrest Gump...or someone..."Stupid is as Stupid Does"...this women is just plain stupid. If I can remember...and that's a BIG IF...I'll stop by Chick-Fil-La on August 1st and grab a sandwich....the world is just full of these nut cases who want to take everything to the extreme and "make assumptions...99% of the time wrong assumptions) about what others believe and think.

The women is a first class IDIOT!

And, as with most of this sort of short-sighted and wrong "crap"...it will only serve to enrich Chick-Fil-La...and bring them new clients...the exact opposite of what this fool woman wants....stupid!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How is this a controversy?!?!

Let's see... Chick-Fil-A has always been a Christian company, and this is certainly not new or really even interesting news. The fact that the folks at the helm of the company line up ideologically with the Church, considering the company's background, which is wide-spread public knowledge is hardly a surprise.

...someone's got to help me understand what the big deal is here?

• Upvote 3

How is this a controversy?!?!

Let's see... Chick-Fil-A has always been a Christian company, and this is certainly not new or really even interesting news. The fact that the folks at the helm of the company line up ideologically with the Church, considering the company's background, which is wide-spread public knowledge is hardly a surprise.

...someone's got to help me understand what the big deal is here?

Agreed, I think this has gone beyond ridiculous. Both sides are being real real dumb here, the mayor of boston looks like an idiot for political grandstanding, and I really don't give a crap what a chicken sandwich mogul has to say. This is just another "controversy" people feel the need to pick teams over. Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

The local Chick-Fil-La folks are restaurant partners of UNT and the Mean Green. They help support the Mean Green... as such I help support them. Simple...and as one other member of the great Mean Green Nation has posted on Facebook........

Let;

's all boycott Chick-Fil-La on SUNDAY, July 29th. Seems like the perfect day for a boycott of Chick-Fil-La to me...I think I'll stop by Chick-Fil-La during during tomorrow's Mean Green Football Poster distribution event to thank them for their support and to buy a yummy sandwich in appreciation of that support!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I feel like I can give a unique viewpoint to the situation, or "controversy" as it may have turned into at this point. Being an atheist that lived 45 minutes from Boston my entire life that has a gay family member that I love dearly. I never ate Chick-Fil-A (I'm typing CFA from now on, I hate having to type the damn dashes) until last August when I began attending UNT, so I have no bias towards the fact that I grew up in love with their food as we don't have it here in New England, save for a couple of random malls in Massachusetts that I've never even been to.

So anyways, I hear all the sides to this. I understand the freedom of religion part of it, the freedom of speech part of it, the fact that everyone has their right to an opinion, etc. I also see the side of gay activists and the mayor of Boston (and now also Chicago) that are angry at CFA. I really think what it comes down to is this: all sides are taking it way farther than necessary. Gay marriage and equality is absolutely my biggest passion, nothing ever gets me angrier than a bigoted Christian trying to legislate his or her religion by making gay marriage illegal, yet even I was not overly upset at what CFA's owner said. I believe what he said was that the company was "guilty as charged" in that they believe in the bible's definition of a family. I disagree with his standpoint, but it wasn't like he went out of his way to bash homosexuals. I think that what his statement did was bring the fact that CFA is a very Christian company that donates millions of dollars to organizations whose primary objective is to protect the biblical definition of marriage and family, and are fighting to legislate it. That's what most people seem to be angry at. CFA is also going to great lengths to cover it's ass on this, including making a fake facebook account to spread lies about when and why some toys were pulled from their stores (they got called on it, and yes it was funny. The company that provided the toys ended their partnership with CFA due to their stance on gay marriage, and the next day CFA said they were pulling the toys due to safety issues. The fake account was created to argue with people that the toys had been called weeks ago, which they had not, and they executed it incredibly poorly) As for the activists, I completely applaud them for standing up for what they believe in (especially considering they're right), and I support them 100%. If someone wants to boycott CFA, fine. If someone, for whatever reason, completely agrees with CFA and supports them, that's fine too, as dumb as it may be. The mayor of Boston, in my opinion, is correct as well in this scenario. Massachusetts was the first state to legalize gay marriage, and Boston is the population, cultural, and economic center of Massachusetts. The mayor of Boston shook the hands of same sex couples as they walked into the place in Boston to get married the first day that it was legalized. Boston also has a very long history of tolerance and of fighting oppression, highlighted by the Freedom Trail in the city. The proposed CFA was planned to be put in the area of the CFA, right across the street from part of it if I remember correctly. It would be a backhanded slap to the city to put a company that is fighting against progression in that spot, so I do not disagree with him. Whether or not it's legal is up for debate, but we'll find that out in due time. But I believe morally, he is correct.

I guess, in conclusion, while I completely disagree with how CFA feels, it's their right to feel that way. As long as they continue to hire indiscriminately and aren't saying anything worse than what they did, then it's okay. They're owner may have half of a brain, as does the PR part of the company, but stupidity isn't a crime. I support the activists to make a stand and make their point. I think personally, what is better than a boycott is my idea, and another idea that a friend of mine had. 1: If you disagree with CFA, every time you eat there donate the amount that your meal costed to a gay rights charity or organization (my idea). 2. Eat there wearing a shirt that says Legalize Love, or something like that.

Regardless, opinions are what make the world go 'round. Cheers everybody. I mean no offense in my post, this is just my opinion.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

The local Chick-Fil-La folks are restaurant partners of UNT and the Mean Green. They help support the Mean Green... as such I help support them. Simple...and as one other member of the great Mean Green Nation has posted on Facebook........

Let;

's all boycott Chick-Fil-La on SUNDAY, July 29th. Seems like the perfect day for a boycott of Chick-Fil-La to me...I think I'll stop by Chick-Fil-La during during tomorrow's Mean Green Football Poster distribution event to thank them for their support and to buy a yummy sandwich in appreciation of that support!

My only thought here is that some things are bigger than sports. If a person that's a part of Mean Green Nation feels strongly against CFA, they should stand up against them and we should all support their decision. If someone stands with CFA, we need to support that decision as well. All one needs to do is look at Penn State to see what happens when people let sports interfere with issues of morality and humanity. This is 1000 times smaller scale obviously, one making the decision whether or not to support the local CFA that supports UNT sports isn't the same as a child sex abuse scandal, but the same logic applies. We need to leave sports out of issues or morality and humanity.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Unbelievable nonsense. One either likes to eat there or they don't. Support them or don't. People have a right to their opinion, like it or not. I doubt Chick fil a will be impacted one way or another except getting a ton of free publicity.

EAT MORE CHICKEN!

• Upvote 1

I will for sure be at chick fil a Aug 1 and I do support gay marriage but I also support freedom of speech. He is not discriminating against gays. He gave his view point. Now what the city of Boston and others is discrimination. A city can not let a business into the city bc said business doesnt have the same beliefs as the city. Boston could be in for a nice little lawsuit if it tries to stand its ground.

Gagree. He never said gays and lesbians were not allowed in their restraunts. He gave his point of view. As it was already pointed out, It's hypocritical how if you support gay marriage, you are open minded, however if you don't then those "open-minded" label you. What the hell happened to one being entitled to their own opinion??

I can't believe that many of you took the time to watch the video. I saw 5:24 and was out.

Got you beat brah. I got 0.00 in and I was out.

• Upvote 4