Big East Commissioner forced out

This is big... if you're SMU it's like the guy that sold you the car has left the dealership...

And I also worry about will they target Banowsky as the replacement...?? Benson seems to stalk us, could he end up C-USA commish?

This is big... if you're SMU it's like the guy that sold you the car has left the dealership...

And I also worry about will they target Banowsky as the replacement...?? Benson seems to stalk us, could he end up C-USA commish?

Jeez Harry. Monday's are bad enough. You may have ruined the whole week with that thought.

Keith

• Upvote 7

Could this be the first step in the “Basketball” schools looking for a complete split, or at least a football only split from the “Football” schools? Something will happen out of this move. Could U of H, SMU, Boise and SDSU be heading to the MWC sooner than later? Without the AQ there is no way to justify this massive spread of teams.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

I think this is similar to how the BIG 12 kicked Beebe to the curb. It didn't spell the end for the Big 12 and it won't for the Big East either. They both screwed up and let their conferences get picked apart. He turned down that Big tv deal from ESPN and there is no telling if they will be able to match it.

• Upvote 2

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Ha! Fate may poop upon SMU before the 2013 football season even begins and begats! La Big East is nothing but a house of cards built upon a shaky table at Thanksgiving with children and relatives' children running around it like a raving band of wild ass apes!

Could this be the first step in the “Basketball” schools looking for a complete split, or at least a football only split from the “Football” schools? Something will happen out of this move. Could U of H, SMU, Boise and SDSU be heading to the MWC sooner than later? Without the AQ there is no way to justify this massive spread of teams.

SMU, Houston and UCF could justify it because the increased revenue from the TV contract and the impact on basketball being aligned with the Big East. Boise and SDSU are a different story being football only. I would not be surprised to see Boise and SDSU go back to the Mountain West. If I'm SMU and Houston CUSA East makes more sense geographically.

SMU, Houston and UCF could justify it because the increased revenue from the TV contract and the impact on basketball being aligned with the Big East. Boise and SDSU are a different story being football only. I would not be surprised to see Boise and SDSU go back to the Mountain West. If I'm SMU and Houston CUSA East makes more sense geographically.

Should UNT try to block SMU if they attempt a return to CUSA ?

Just kidding................just kidding..............just kidding............just kidding :bbq:

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 6

SMU would go to the Southland before they'd admit they made a mistake (if it comes to that) and try to come back to CUSA. Yes, a bit melodramatic with the Southland part but some of you know where I'm coming from.

Talked to a higher up this very AM about this and suggested UH and SMU would go with the MWC if this NCAA soap opera continues, but he said the MWC is probably holding a couple of spots open for Boise State and SDSU.

As one of the last lines in the Bridge Over the River Kwai went: "This is insanity."

GMG!

PS: I look for the Big East to solidify but for how long is the main question now.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

as much as being able to reject any attemp by SMU to get back into CUSA would be awesome.... we have to let them in.... then they wont have an excuse not to play us anymore....

at least once a year in every sport....i think that may be better than the satisfaction of being able to decline there acceptance....

• Upvote 1

as much as being able to reject any attemp by SMU to get back into CUSA would be awesome.... we have to let them in.... then they wont have an excuse not to play us anymore....

at least once a year in every sport....i think that may be better than the satisfaction of being able to decline there acceptance....

We will be nicer to SMU than they have us is an easy prediction.

Still...I believe the Big East will temporarily rally their troops for the moment, but in the next 2 years the football part (IMO) will not have been worth the move for SMU and UH.

GMG!

PS: If you were at SMU, can you imagine the expense for the minor sports, ie, you having to fly up to Connecticutt to play a round of volleyball then fly back to DFW and all their minor sports doing that if the TV monies do not come thru for the Big East in significant numbers?

GMG ! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

This situation has so many potential worm turns in it that it is impossible to predict. Look at the unanswered questions:

1. Will the Big East presidents approve a new TV contract and how will the contract affect the new additions?

2. Will the basketball schools break away from the Big East (or vice versa)?

3. Would the Big East give in and form some sort of alliance with CUSA and the Mountain West?

4. Would the Big East lose Boise State and SDSU should the new TV contract not please them?

5. In the event of the former would SMU return to CUSA or go to the MWC?

6. What would Houston do in that scenario?

7. If the BEC only lost the two western members who would they add with East Carolina?

8. Can Army be persuaded to join with Navy in 2015?

9. Can any commissioner solve the Big East mess?

Notre Dame could have solved this problem earlier but I doubt that they could right the ship now.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

SMU has played North Texas-Denton 33 times since 1922

that is 33 times in 89 seasons including the two seasons that SMU did not play football so that is an average of one game every 2.69 years that is hardly "not playing you" and they are 28-4-1 in those games so I doubt they are "scared" as some might think

more so they are looking out for the best interest of SMU VS worrying about dragging some other program along with them because that program constantly needs a helping hand from everyone else

SMU also plays you several times in the next few years as well....if North Texas-Denton fans had as much concern for their own program VS what SMU does maybe they would be in the Big East instead of SMU

also if the Big East collapses (unlikely) then SMU and several of the others will be forming a new conference I am sure along the lines of UCF, USF, ECU, USM, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis in the east and SMU, UH, Tulane, Tulsa, LaTech, Rice and UTEP in the west

discussions like this are similar to those that thought UT would be left out in the cold because of the LHN and everyone moving around without them when the reality is that UT had more options than anyone they they made the choice of what best suited UT similar to how SMU learned from TCU about making the best choices for THEIR program instead of the choices that make North Texas-Denton fans happy

Tulane, LaTech, ECU, USM, Tulsa, UTEP and Rice would be chomping at the bit to ditch the CUSA to get in the conference above and it has plenty of "markets" and schools that know each as well and it is pretty compact

schools that had options before are not suddenly just going to be forced to go begging all of the sudden....they had options for a reason and they will have future options for a reason as well because they are proactive instead of reactive

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

SMU also plays you several times in the next few years as well....if North Texas-Denton fans had as much concern for their own program VS what SMU does maybe they would be in the Big East instead of SMU

You have finally admitted you are not a Mean Green fan. Thank you for that. My question to you now is, why are you still here?

• Upvote 2

also if the Big East collapses (unlikely) then SMU and several of the others will be forming a new conference I am sure along the lines of UCF, USF, ECU, USM, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis in the east and SMU, UH, Tulane, Tulsa, LaTech, Rice and UTEP in the west

The Big East divorce you hypothesize would be very messy. There is no guarantee that the new conference would be anything close to the old Big East in terms of revenues generated, so some schools would be at risk of losing huge amounts of money.

I expect the conference to stay together because the money is just too good.

PS. You may be the only person I have ever seen hyphenate the flagship campus of North Texas.

SMU has played North Texas-Denton 33 times since 1922

that is 33 times in 89 seasons including the two seasons that SMU did not play football so that is an average of one game every 2.69 years that is hardly "not playing you" and they are 28-4-1 in those games so I doubt they are "scared" as some might think

more so they are looking out for the best interest of SMU VS worrying about dragging some other program along with them because that program constantly needs a helping hand from everyone else

discussions like this are similar to those that thought UT would be left out in the cold because of the LHN and everyone moving around without them when the reality is that UT had more options than anyone they they made the choice of what best suited UT similar to how SMU learned from TCU about making the best choices for THEIR program instead of the choices that make North Texas-Denton fans happy

Tulane, LaTech, ECU, USM, Tulsa, UTEP and Rice would be chomping at the bit to ditch the CUSA to get in the conference above and it has plenty of "markets" and schools that know each as well and it is pretty compact

schools that had options before are not suddenly just going to be forced to go begging all of the sudden....they had options for a reason and they will have future options for a reason as well because they are proactive instead of reactive

When it comes to saying that "SMU won't play us" I think rather than seeing the entire historical record most posters here aren't long enough in the tooth to care about games that took place from 1922 to 1970 whatever. Since 1990 NT and SMU have met in football 4 times, with NT going 2 and 2. So it took from 1995 when we returned to I-A until 2006 to get a game with them. I myself stil wouldn't call that "ducking NT" either but I would definitely say it when it comes to men's basketball. The two schools have not met in that sport since 2002 despite many attempts by our AD to schedule them.

Regardless, you truly are a pathetic individual. Your hatred for all things North Texas really makes you appear to be an obsessed, disturbed, sad sack of a human being as you trash the University all over various fan forums with long winded rants using many different names/handles. What on EARTH did North Texas ever do to you?! For Christ's sake, get the HELL over it already. I also imagine it pissed you off to NO end when we got the CUSA invite. Admit it..........you probably threw something through the wall, or kicked the crap out of your dog, didn't you?

I suggest you put the EXTENSIVE time you have on our hands to a better, more productive use. Maybe the link below can help you get started. Good luck.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/forgiveness/MH00131

• Upvote 4

LOL. This was expected for months. Every indication coming out of Big East schools is that they expect anywhere from 10-18M per school. To put this in perspective SMU made roughly 1.75M from their CUSA deal this past year. This move is entirely about preparing for 2014 and covering all possible bases. Any speculation that this is a bad thing is flat out wrong.

BTW, look at the list of potential commissioners posted by CBS Sports. Any of them would be an upgrade over Marinatto. Also, UNT should be hoping and praying that the Big East remains viable and intact. If it all falls apart (and it won't), then you can be certain a new league will form out of its ashes that will not include UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

LOL. This was expected for months. Every indication coming out of Big East schools is that they expect anywhere from 10-18M per school. To put this in perspective SMU made roughly 1.75M from their CUSA deal this past year. This move is entirely about preparing for 2014 and covering all possible bases. Any speculation that this is a bad thing is flat out wrong.

BTW, look at the list of potential commissioners posted by CBS Sports. Any of them would be an upgrade over Marinatto. Also, UNT should be hoping and praying that the Big East remains viable and intact. If it all falls apart (and it won't), then you can be certain a new league will form out of its ashes that will not include UNT.

Dickhead Alert -- For every 1 good SMU poster there seems to be 3 or 4 of this

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

New league? I would highly doubt that...I think the max has been reached as how many FBS football leagues there should be. The fact remains is UH and SMU won't be worthy of the Big 12 and I think the pill will be way to big for you guys to swallow to come back to CUSA. If anything I can see making a shift to the MWC as it is a more than viable conference and I think it would make both UH and SMU happy.