Is our problem the stadium location?

shaft

Please look at some of the nuggets in this thread as feedback, not moaning and groaning. For the people who have upclose parking (MGC) it is difficult to realize what some people who don't go through on gameday. The 81 year old is a perfect example. We do not have a clear system for those with mobility issues. Let's get a clear system for those with mobility issues set and communicated before the next game. The same can be said for very overweight people, people with injuries, people lugging over multiple small children. The bridge is a year away. We have 1 more game with 2 weeks of opportunity. If we wait until next year to address the transfer challenges so be it. But every piece of feedback from people who experience the Mean Green in different ways should be appreciated. Yes our crew plans on providing that feedback to the Athletic department at the end of the year. But what about the athletic department sending out a survey monkey survey or something that solicits raw honest feedback from all season ticket holders. All Mean Green Club members. All one time ticket buyers. Multiple time ticket buyers. Visiting guests.

Think about the wealth of information you could mine from simply asking a few targeted questions and an open comments section. Also as a Mean Green guest I want that survey to find me. I want to do as little as possible to provide you my valuable feedback. I am speaking as the casual fan here and not the Mean Green diehard I am. But make it easy for the groups above to participate. If there are extra Mean Green towels or commemorative anything incentivize our guests and get that feedback.

For the record my crew will be there at 8:00 AM on 12.3. We will see the same security officer who always asks us if we know the drop off policy (we dig him because we have seen him 5 times this year with the same vehicles and we assure him we know the routine. He is great!) Full on bloody mary bar, brunch tailgate, UNT win and 5-7 record, 1 hour post game wait beverage, departure from Apogee with sad face in tow because Year 1 is over.)

GMG

• Upvote 3

Full on bloody mary bar

The bloody marys that we've had on tap at every game have been my ultimate undoing. I'm afraid that I may never drink them again. They go down soooo good on game day. So, so good. And so, so potent! Bloody marys have turned me into a teetotaller at games.

But this brunch tailgate you speak of. I need to consider this. Our standard ribs will be out of the question because I'm not showing up at 4 in the morning to give them time to cook.

What are you cooking so I can steal the idea and call it my own? If I knew there were going to be fewer than 50 people, I'd consider doing a two burner omelet bar, but I don't know if I can keep up with peak demand with such a small setup.

+1, I wish I could give more.....its the proverbial "just win baby". You win, they have something to cheer for and they come on droves. Simple as abc.

These threads lately have been pretty effin bad.... REALLY, lack of fans is due to one reason...LOSING RECORD. Fans dont make it a priority to go to games when there team sucks, plain and simple. For example, Boise State, they were a no name school before Peterson came along and turned the program around. TCU was unforgotten before LT came. Once your team starts winning the fans will come.

• Upvote 2

Here in Jacksonville, cyclists operate rickshaw bikes to take fans from distant parking lots to the Jaguars' stadium on game day. I think they charge $10 or $20. Is anyone doing that at UNT games?

Yes pedicabs operate on gamedays and they work for tips alone, no other charge I believe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I am definitely joining the Mean Green Club next year. Mainly for the tailgate access. I want to say I tailgated about 3 games this year and it was a beating dragging all that stuff up near the hill. Especially when the side road is closed off right after the game. And I really don't want to tailgate at Fouts, I just really like the feeling of tailgating and overlooking Apogee (great view of the homeside/pressboxes).

I've tailgated at every game this year in the premium lot across Bonnie Brea from the stadjium (aka softball field parking). It's only $10 if purchased before gameday with a student ID or $20 otherwise. It's been an awesome spot where you can tailgate out of your car and still be within easy walking distance of the hill to go back and forth.

• Upvote 1

Spawled out tailgating is my biggest complaint. Why don't they face the bandstand/stage toward the parking lots (where the people are) instead of uphill (where there aren't many). I think being able to hear the band would help the atmosphere greatly (at least in that area).

At Fouts, we would walk around the Village and there would be 3 or 4 vendors selling MG gear. Now, there's only one. What happened?

• Upvote 1

Well the menu is not fully baked other than the olives, pickled okra, pickles, celery...for the bloody bar. I imagine the food will have a Spanish tint consisting of breakfast fajita tacos (beef and chicken), some barbacoa, lime drenched salsa and pandulce (Mexican sweetbread). Eggs scramble easy with some grilled papas and queso - yum.

No brunch is complete without the fresh squeezed mimosa. We talked about arriving at 10:00 AM and were bummed about only 5 hours of tailgating bliss - so 8:00 AM here we come.

Finish off Tailgate season in style!

GMG

• Upvote 1

Spawled out tailgating is my biggest complaint. Why don't they face the bandstand/stage toward the parking lots (where the people are) instead of uphill (where there aren't many). I think being able to hear the band would help the atmosphere greatly (at least in that area).

At Fouts, we would walk around the Village and there would be 3 or 4 vendors selling MG gear. Now, there's only one. What happened?

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I am not interested in hearing whatever band they trot up there. I like the stage placement and direction. More room is not a bad thing.

• Upvote 3

If you've ever been to a college football game at another campus whose stadium is shoe-boxed inside their campus with no up close stadium parking for visiting fans but rather you have to take a shuttle bus which is about 2 or so miles from said campus stadium, then you would think that we are land rich with our North Texas Athletic Complex (Mean Green Village) and then this whole thread about our stadium location being a problem is about as silly as they've been of late.

Just win, baby..............win. That will solve so many of our problems.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Please look at some of the nuggets in this thread as feedback, not moaning and groaning. For the people who have upclose parking (MGC) it is difficult to realize what some people who don't go through on gameday. The 81 year old is a perfect example. We do not have a clear system for those with mobility issues. Let's get a clear system for those with mobility issues set and communicated before the next game. The same can be said for very overweight people, people with injuries, people lugging over multiple small children. The bridge is a year away. We have 1 more game with 2 weeks of opportunity. If we wait until next year to address the transfer challenges so be it. But every piece of feedback from people who experience the Mean Green in different ways should be appreciated. Yes our crew plans on providing that feedback to the Athletic department at the end of the year. But what about the athletic department sending out a survey monkey survey or something that solicits raw honest feedback from all season ticket holders. All Mean Green Club members. All one time ticket buyers. Multiple time ticket buyers. Visiting guests.

Think about the wealth of information you could mine from simply asking a few targeted questions and an open comments section. Also as a Mean Green guest I want that survey to find me. I want to do as little as possible to provide you my valuable feedback. I am speaking as the casual fan here and not the Mean Green diehard I am. But make it easy for the groups above to participate. If there are extra Mean Green towels or commemorative anything incentivize our guests and get that feedback.

For the record my crew will be there at 8:00 AM on 12.3. We will see the same security officer who always asks us if we know the drop off policy (we dig him because we have seen him 5 times this year with the same vehicles and we assure him we know the routine. He is great!) Full on bloody mary bar, brunch tailgate, UNT win and 5-7 record, 1 hour post game wait beverage, departure from Apogee with sad face in tow because Year 1 is over.)

GMG

Good post. The stadium is where it is, and although getting to and from may not be as easy as Fouts was for some, it's still nothing that cannot be overcome. Hopefully solutions will evolve over time that simplify things.

• Upvote 1

For all the complaints about attendance and tailgating is our problem the location of the stadium?

Is the off campus nature of the stadium that's keeping the students away?

I hate the remote layout of the parking lots and sprawled tailgating.

Huh??? It's 1000 feet south of the old stadium.

• Upvote 2

They moved into the two teams stores within the stadium. DUH!

Im sure if you call the AD and ask them how you can get your 81 year old mother into the game Im sure theyll give you an answer, but if you dont ask you dont know... and they worst they could say is No, and the best is that youll get premier parking that you might not of gotten before. Just dont think it will be free, get your check book out

Over weight people... If you cant walk .5 a mile go start working out, and youll be able to make the small walk

Our alumni bring kids to our fraternity tailgate and they dont b*tch about the walk... They actually ask where do they sign for 4 seat for only 1000 a year, because in reality that is a steal

Finally, if your only gonna join the MGC because of parking/walking, thats pretty sad... You join to give back, its better to give than to recieve

Edit: Walking from fouts field to the stadium is the same distance for general parking for the cowboys...

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Here in Jacksonville, cyclists operate rickshaw bikes to take fans from distant parking lots to the Jaguars' stadium on game day. I think they charge $10 or $20. Is anyone doing that at UNT games?

I saw one of these guys at the game last weekend. They are out there and if there is a demand I'm sure there are other poor college students willing to do it.

If you've ever been to a college football game at another campus whose stadium is shoe-boxed inside their campus with no up close stadium parking for visiting fans but rather you have to take a shuttle bus which is about 2 or so miles from said campus stadium, then you would think that we are land rich with our North Texas Athletic Complex (Mean Green Village) and then this whole thread about our stadium location being a problem is about as silly as they've been of late.

I agree. Possibly the stupidest thread I've ever seen on this board.

• Upvote 2

Apogee could be across the street from someone's house and they would find something to complain about. This is a great stadium in a great location in the first year of operation. Good management always evaluates their operation looking for improvements. This year was/is about identifying the issues and correcting them as we move forward.

• Upvote 2

At the University of Arkansas, they have free parking and free bus service. Paying $10 is unheard of then walk a mile to the stadium. Also, for the Mean Green Club, you don't get anything but priority seating? At the Alumni Pavilion you pay $40 a year and drink beer much like the club at Fouts. Sometimes, we don't know what our competition is doing and it makes our fans mad. Go Mean Green!!!

At the University of Arkansas, they have free parking and free bus service. Paying $10 is unheard of then walk a mile to the stadium. Also, for the Mean Green Club, you don't get anything but priority seating? At the Alumni Pavilion you pay $40 a year and drink beer much like the club at Fouts. Sometimes, we don't know what our competition is doing and it makes our fans mad. Go Mean Green!!!

The problem you will have with attempting to run a bus service is with the traffic patterns UNT has been forced into prevents the easy flow of buses from the stadium to remote parking makes the wait not worth it. After standing for 15 to 30 minutes waiting for the bus you could already be at your car starting your drive home.

The Alumni Pavilion is separate from the Athletic Department, so the Alumni Association has every right to limit access to the facility. The Ben E. Keith deck has been replaced by the Club Level. The deck from Fouts was such a low rent thing to begin with so I am glad we no longer have something like that anymore.