WKU Defensive Coordinator gets 3rd DWI

Harry

Taggart also had a reply to those who might have suggested that Guidry be fired.

"If they were the head coach, maybe they’d do that,” he said. “I did what I felt was best for this football program, this team and this university. I stick by my decision.”

Is a football coach in the best position to make a decision on what's best for the university?? Rings a little hollow in light of what's going on at Penn St.

Edited by TIgreen01

Let's see...one in 1990...another in 2003...this one in 2011. They're getting closer together.

Gee, I wonder if these are the only three times in his life he's gotten behind the wheel drunk? Probably.

Look, this is college athletics. They won't do anything about this guy until he injures or kills someone.

WKU's already taking the easy way out, "It didn't come out in the back ground check." Oh, okay. They've done all they legally can. But, surprise. Somehow news outlets can discover within 24 hours he'd had two others in spite of their "background check."

Accountability: Not at Penn State. Not at Western Kentucky.

"Oh, Fake Lonnie...you're such a priggish hard ass. No one was hurt." Oh, good. Well, keep letting him go without consequences until someone does get hurt. There aren't enough drunk driving accidents these days. Let's keep all the ticking time bombs on the streets.

After he kills or maims someone, we can be as sanctimonious as they are at Penn State...praying for the victims they ignored for at least nine years...reading a special letter from Joe Pa before the game.

Someday we can all pray for the victims of Coach Guidry's drunk driving. All the families affected...right, Penn State? Coach Guidry can write a special letter for the players to read before the game. Coach Taggart can mewl to the press about wishing he had "done more."

Frauds.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Ridiculous bullsh*t from the WKU press releases...remember, these are adults:

From Lance Guidry:

"I would like to apologize to my family, our players, coaching staff, administration and fans for the undue attention my poor judgment has caused. Our football team put forth a tremendous effort against the nation's top ranked team, and I have done a disservice to our entire program by shifting the focus away from where it belongs."

Comment: Uh, Lance...drunk driving is cause for attention, son. Also, the point should be the danger you have caused on the road multiple times, not how WKU performed against LSU. Can the routine.

Also, if you "would like to apologize" then go ahead and do so. Nothing's preventing you.

From Willie Taggart:

"While Coach Guidry did not miss any meetings or functions while he was away from our team hotel, his conduct was certainly not consistent with our value system and how we must operate. He understands the seriousness of his actions, and he and I spoke to our entire team about this before we left the stadium last night. This type of conduct is not acceptable, there will be disciplinary measures as a result, and they will be handled internally. Our football team is a family, and families stick together during challenging times. We have two very important games remaining, and our program will be focused on finishing the season strong and reaching our goal of winning a Sun Belt Conference championship."

Comment: What a relief that Coach Guidry was at all the meetings and functions. What you do in front of people is as important as what you do when no one is looking. In fact, at WKU, it's a wash - you act right in public and make the meetings and function, we'll let whatever you do in your free time slide without penalty of missing games.

It's good that the team got to hear Coach Guidry talk after the game Saturday night. It was important for the WKU players to see that drinking and driving will not keep the coaches off the sideline. Accountability is never to be public, shameful, or meaningful.

Finally, it's good that Coach Taggart can brush it all aside by handling it "internally" so as not to impede progress towards a possible championship. Rings and trophies are far more important than punishing someone for driving drunk and endangering the lives of others.

From Ross Bjork, Director of Athletics...this one's long and, by far, the most full of crap:

"I am personally disappointed in Lance’s actions during our trip to Baton Rouge. Lance is a great football coach and has brought great energy to our team and defense since he arrived."

Comment: How awful. Because a guy can coach and get kids excited, we thought he was Jesus. You must have been shattered.

"Right away, Lance was very forthcoming, remorseful and accepted total responsibility for his actions...In terms of Saturday's game, we assessed all of our options and felt it was in the best interest of our student-athletes to have Lance coach them against LSU. Removing Lance from the sideline would have been a detriment to our players who have worked so hard to be in this competitive position so late in the season. Lance’s punishment should not be at the expense of our student-athletes. Because of Lance’s contriteness and honesty after the arrest and the information we gathered, it was decided that he would coach the game."

Comment: We never want to be mistaken for people who try to show kids that you pay for mistakes. Our lesson to the kids should be plain: Football is so important that drunk driving should not keep you out of the big game. Just say you're sorry and suit up. After all, other people have worked so hard. Your continual reckless disregard for human life over a period of years outside of a football stadium should have no bearing on what happens inside a football stadium.

“When all university employees are hired, outsourced criminal background checks are performed....

Comment: We checked and found nothing, and even so...we don't even do the background checks ourselves. So, if there was something we hadn't found, it wouldn't be our fault anyway, it would be the third party vendor's fault.

Unfortunately, mistakes are a part of life, and how you deal with them will determine much about the future and how we all make decisions as a leader. Lance owned this mistake from the moment we became aware of it, and he understands as a public figure the standards are different from others. I am convinced he will learn from this and our team and staff will be focused on the last two games of the regular season as we compete for a championship.

Comment: It's unfortunate that they make police reports public so that we have to be going through the motions here. We've already told you Lance is sorry, and by letting him coach we are giving our players the example we cherish at WKU - words speak louder than actions. Our athletes need to understand that the important thing is pursuing championships, not whether you've piled up a DWI or two over the years.

FREEBIE: Big Ten, take that old trophy with Joe Pa's name on it out of the trash can and give it to WKU - they're trying real hard to earn it...because their student athletes are working so hard, you understand. When athletes work hard, coaches can't be held responsible for piling up DWIs.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

A few sign suggestions:

"Hey WKU, your defense is DRIVING us MADD"

"Please don't let Guidry drive the team bus after you lose"

Or, all you students could just join together in a rousing rendition of "99 bottles of beer on the wall"

I KNOW the Green Brigade could do an outstanding cover of the old "Tequila" instrumental.