Joe Paterno Retiring at End of Season

UNTflyer

This is just Paterno announcing what HE wants to happen. The Board of Regents are meeting. He may still be fired if he doesn't step down immediately.

This man had a great career, and stood for what was great in college football. A squeaky clean image will be tarnished because he made a very bad decision. What his motives were in the way he "reported" his pal, be it protecting the program, the school, his friend (or all of the above) really doesn't matter.

It's a sad ending to an era, but not as sad as what Sandusky did.

This is just Paterno announcing what HE wants to happen. The Board of Regents are meeting. He may still be fired if he doesn't step down immediately.

This man had a great career, and stood for what was great in college football. A squeaky clean image will be tarnished because he made a very bad decision. What his motives were in the way he "reported" his pal, be it protecting the program, the school, his friend (or all of the above) really doesn't matter.

So we think

Guys.

I grew up a huge Penn State fan, before I went to UNT. This whole event just makes me sick, because I once idolozed Jerry Sandusky as a defensive coordinator. JoePa to me is still everything that college football coach should be.

Jerry Sandusky is a horrible man that has ruined so many peoples lives. As a parent myself, I can't imagine the negative impact that his actions have had on those innocent kids. The man should burn in hell for what he did.

The AD and VP also deserve whatever punishment is given them by the grand jury.

However, I am sad that so many people are quick to judge JoePa's actions. I know that Joe regrets not doing more, now that all the facts are out about Sandusky. However, Joe did not actually witness the event himself. So, we really don't know what the graduate assistant told him exactly.

I don't know too many people that would go to the police, based on 2nd hand information about things. Nobody really knows what the graduate assistant told JoePa. Joe insists that the assistant did not actually tell him that he witnessed sexual acts, only something disturbing that took place in the showers.

As more information comes out, maybe Joe will be deserving of the criticism that he gets. But, after following the man for all these years and seeing him give his life to his university (plus 4 million dollars) and doing everything he can to see his players achieve success on and off the field, I would have hoped that the media would not be so quick to judge. But, that is the way things are today. Very sad.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

JoePa has always stood for being the cream of the crop in college football. He has always had the reputation of what everyone should want in a college coach. After all of this has come out about Sandusky and the rest of Penn State's leadership, the tarnish to his reputation will be severe at first, but will eventually fade away. I think he should get fired, but if he coaches the rest of the year, I think it will hurt Penn State even more. The university needs to move forward immediately.

This was brought up on the Ticket this morning, but if it somehow comes out that Paterno was over a program that was cheating bigtime and he covered this up so that the program wouldn't get caught (ala Baylor Basketball with Dave Bliss), then this scumbag should get prosecuted just like the AD or anyone else associated with this mess. I am not calling Paterno a scumbag-yet--because he did follow the letter of the law. Obviously, he violated the spirit of the law and he is getting his just due for doing the bare minimum. But, if it comes out that people got paid or there were academic frauds occurring during his half-century there, he should get prosecuted for perjury, obstruction of justice, fraud, and anything that can be thrown at him.

I really hate college athletics right now. Between the greed of realignment and network coverage, along with bowl money and who controls the NCAA, I am barely hanging on. Seriously, this $hit is about to do me in as a fan.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

JoePa has always tood for being the cream of the crop in college football. He has always had the reputation of what everyone should want in a college coach. After all of this has come out about Sandusky and the rest of Penn State's leadership, the tarnish to his reputation will be severe at first, but will eventually fade away. I think he should get fired, but if he coaches the rest of the year, I think it will hurt Penn State even more. The university needs to move forward immediately.

This was brought up on the Ticket this morning, but if it somehow comes out that Paterno was over a program that was cheating bigtime and he covered this up so that the program wouldn't get caught (ala Baylor Basketball with Dave Bliss), then this scumbag should get prosecuted just like the AD or anyone else associated with this mess. I am not calling Paterno a scumbag-yet--because he did follow the letter of the law. Obviously, he violated the spirit of the law and he is getting his just due for doing the bare minimum. But, if it comes out that people got paid or there were academic frauds occurring during his half-century there, he should get prosecuted for perjury, obstruction of justice, fraud, and anything that can be thrown at him.

I really hate college athletics right now. Between the greed of realignment and network coverage, along with bowl money and who controls the NCAA, I am barely hanging on. Seriously, this $hit is about to do me in as a fan.

I agree with everything you said. My interest in college football is at an all time low right now because of the greed. To see this happen to Penn State (my #2 school behind UNT), one of the few universities that seems to put ethics above winning, just makes my interest wane even further.

I wish JoePa would have retired after last season.

As Coffe and Tea pointed out, none of us can say with 100% certainty what we would have done in that situation when we hear secondhand information.

A graduate assistant comes and tells you he saw your best friend sexually assaulting a 10-year-old boy. I imagine the reaction to this would be first shock, then doubt and denial. Then you wonder how you should respond. Go to the police? Confront your friend? Report him to your boss?

Let's keep in mind that once a person is accused of these things, even if exonerated it never, NEVER goes away. Maybe JoePa thought the best course was to keep it within the university until evidence came forward? Maybe he thought there must have been a misunderstanding? I don't know.

Lots of blame to go around. At the university and law enforcement, who apparently took their own sweet time investigating and obtaining an indictment.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Any halfway competent person would have had both McQuiery and Sandusky in his office ASAP to explain what went on in those showers. I mean, if Paterno and Sandusky were friends, wouldn't Paterno want to eventually know the precise details as to why his dear friend and campus icon was having restrictions imposed on his campus activities? Absolutely ridiculous and naive to think that Paterno wasn't involved in the coverup. Either that or the guy is senile, and has been senile for years.

• Upvote 1

You can debate if most people would have rushed into the shower and put a stop to the actions immediately, but for anyone to have even the slightest knowledge of the details and not contact the authorities... They may as well of commited any of the rapes that followed themselves.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You can debate if most people would have rushed into the shower and put a stop to the actions immediately, but for anyone to have even the slightest knowledge of the details and not contact the authorities... They may as well of commited any of the rapes that followed themselves.

But the issue is that if Joe Pa had "rushed to the authorities" and later it was revealed the allegations were false then he could leave himself or the school open to a lawsuit. Joe Pa did the best thing by contacting his superiors and leaving it to them to handle. As only a head coach Joe Pa should never be the one to contact the authorites in this situation. The AD should have contacted the school's lawyers and let the legal counsul determine how to handle the situation.

Perhaps Joe Pa should have pressed his AD to get something done. Maybe he did but was told "the laywers are handling it". Who knows. The realy breakdown was with the AD and/or the legal counsil.

• Upvote 3

But the issue is that if Joe Pa had "rushed to the authorities" and later it was revealed the allegations were false then he could leave himself or the school open to a lawsuit. Joe Pa did the best thing by contacting his superiors and leaving it to them to handle. As only a head coach Joe Pa should never be the one to contact the authorites in this situation. The AD should have contacted the school's lawyers and let the legal counsul determine how to handle the situation.

No. That only floats if they don't already know of his inappropriate contact with little boys from 1998. You can't tell me that everyone in the athletic department was not already well aware of his transgressions.

• Downvote 1

I don't believe Joe had any motives...nothing to be gained by hiding a pedophile...he just didn't know and wasn't aware...it's not like the soddomite Sandusky let everyone know he's molesting little boys..."Hey Joe, after watching some film, I'm going over to the showers to inappropriately touch children...what're your plans?" Joe Paterno would not have stood by while that happened for anyrthing - be it protecting the program, the school, his buddy, etc...not buying what you're selling.

• Upvote 3

I don't believe Joe had any motives...nothing to be gained by hiding a pedophile...he just didn't know and wasn't aware...it's not like the soddomite Sandusky let everyone know he's molesting little boys..."Hey Joe, after watching some film, I'm going over to the showers to inappropriately touch children...what're your plans?" Joe Paterno would not have stood by while that happened for anyrthing - be it protecting the program, the school, his buddy, etc...not buying what you're selling.

If it was all brand new...sure, defend him and his honor.

However, if a local report from April like this was basically ignored...screw his legacy.

No. That only floats if they don't already know of his inappropriate contact with little boys from 1998. You can't tell me that everyone in the athletic department was not already well aware of his transgressions.

I disagree. If Joe Pa walked in and saw the crime as it took place then he should have immediately contact authorities. However, when he's made away of allegations after the fact the best way to handle it is to contact the proper authories at the university. That is how things work in a large organization ... or even a small one.

It doesn't matter if they knew of previous allegations ... Joe Pa had no reason to contact the police himself. It's something that should be handled by the higher ups in the university.

Another...incredibly simple theory. Many from his generation are totally incapable of thinking about or speaking about such things. I doubt my grandfather (roughly the same age) would/could.

That's not a defense, just a difference in generations.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I disagree. If Joe Pa walked in and saw the crime as it took place then he should have immediately contact authorities.

Just to be clear, you are saying that he should not have encouraged the person who reported it to him to go to the police? To say that getting a second hand report of the incident can make it difficult to go to the police is fair (although multiple second hand reports make it much easier), but he should have at least told the witness to go to police. On top of that, why did he not investigate this matter himself?

However, when he's made away of allegations after the fact the best way to handle it is to contact the proper authories at the university. That is how things work in a large organization ... or even a small one.

Sorry, if I hear about a crime of this nature committed at my place of work (not talking about taking a pen home), I am going to report it to the police. I can tell my boss about it, but I have a personal moral obligation to do what I can to make sure that the issue is reported and pursued by the police.

It doesn't matter if they knew of previous allegations ... Joe Pa had no reason to contact the police himself. It's something that should be handled by the higher ups in the university.

Just don't buy this, if you know of a crime, report it.

Edited by forevereagle

Yes, because administrators always do the right thing, right?

It was his responsibility as a coach and father to report this directly to the police. In Texas, he would be indicted for Failure to Report Child Abuse. How did Joe Pa know he was abiding by Pennsylvania law? Did you know the law on reporting child abuse without looking it up? I promise you that an attorney somewhere told Joe Pa that this was the least required of him by law, and Joe Pa jumped all over it, thinking (rightfully so) that it would be swept under the rug like the 1998 incident (perhaps ordering that to happen. He is the only one who has that power).

Joe Pa tried to hide and protect Sandusky and his legacy at the same time, not giving one flip about current or future victims.

Unforgivable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was his responsibility as a coach and father to report this directly to the police. In Texas, he would be indicted for Failure to Report Child Abuse. How did Joe Pa know he was abiding by Pennsylvania law? Did you know the law on reporting child abuse without looking it up? I promise you that an attorney somewhere told Joe Pa that this was the least required of him by law, and Joe Pa jumped all over it, thinking (rightfully so) that it would be swept under the rug like the 1998 incident (perhaps ordering that to happen. He is the only one who has that power).

Joe Pa tried to hide and protect Sandusky and his legacy at the same time, not giving one flip about current or future victims.

Unforgivable.

Yes, yes and FREAKING YES!

Unbelievable people are willing to give JoePa a pass in all of this. Bear in mind I had the utmost respect for that man...I just can't have that same feeling anymore after something like this.

Unforgivable.

He may as well have raped all the future victims himself. How that university can allow him to represent the school on the sidelines for even one more game is beyond me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1