SHOULD THE BELT GO ON THE OFFENSIVE?

El Paso Eagle

Should the Sun Belt Conference extend offers to La Tech, Texas State, UTSA, and NMSU immediately and play on the potential of the MWC taking other schools and killing the WAC? I know LT might be the first to say no, but if the other 3 say no it would put LT in a very did corner.

Right behind that, if I were the Sun Belt, I would start talking to the MAC about an alliance similar to what CUSA and the MWC are discussing.

I'd start with offers for NMSU and Idaho since they're at least FBS. LT will be way too arrogant to listen much less consider and accept so I'd make them wait and see if they go through some suffering stages if CUSA overlooks them. Then I would give Tx State and UTSA a call to join in.

I think that having TX St. and UTSA in our conference would be better than FIU and FAU. They (at least Tx St.) would bring more fans to Denton. And because they are local, I would think that they would have more appeal to our students/fans. I am very indifferent to being in a conference with La Tech....and La Monre for that matter. I much prefer La La.

• Upvote 1

This is such a warlike thread. Attack. Killing.

Can't we all just get along ?

Funny, Joe, but don't think Imentioned "kiiling" anything or anyone,...just attacking the situation to the Belt's advantage. Killing is such a negative word and so final. :rolleyes:

I wonder about our soon departing Wright Waters when he opined that Belt schools would stay loyal to the Belt. My guess is that any Belt school maybe with one exception would jump at the chance to go CUSA . This conference realignment is moving very quickly and I doubt even adding schools to the Belt would help a lot. The Belt will survive even if they lose multiple teams. The realignment has moved down to the MWC and CUSA level, nothing much is going to happen to conferences below that until those decisions are made. My guess would be that the Belt will ultimately lose several teams then they will fill those places with WAC or FC teams. There is no reason for the Belt to move before it is known how the MWC and CUSA shake out. No teams with perceived other options are going to jump to the Belt while there is a chance for their inclusion in a higher rated league. Likewise, the teams that would be open to Belt membership now will still be there.

• Upvote 2

It's eat or be eaten... So if the Sun Belt wants to stay alive- they need to start eating out of other conferences.

It took the Big XII almost too long to figure that out. They were getting eaten off of, and decided that they themselves needed to start eating. Remember how we all thought the Big XII was dead... Then they started going out for other teams.

It's eat or be eaten. Kill or be killed.

This is such a warlike thread. Attack. Killing.

Can't we all just get along ?

You must be a baseball fan. Just remember what George Carlin said:

...And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!

My answer would be yes! Attack...attack...attack now! Who knows? The Sun Belt could emerge a better/stronger conference in the wake of all this realignment mess.

Been watching some re-runs of Patton Mark?

*from the movie Patton 1970.

"Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that "we are holding our position." We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose!"

Been watching some re-runs of Patton Mark?

*from the movie Patton 1970.

"Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that "we are holding our position." We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose!"

Saw that movie with Joyce Fief at an Angleton, Texas, drive in theatre. Thanks for the cinematic memory, SE!

I wonder about our soon departing Wright Waters when he opined that Belt schools would stay loyal to the Belt. My guess is that any Belt school maybe with one exception would jump at the chance to go CUSA . This conference realignment is moving very quickly and I doubt even adding schools to the Belt would help a lot. The Belt will survive even if they lose multiple teams. The realignment has moved down to the MWC and CUSA level, nothing much is going to happen to conferences below that until those decisions are made. My guess would be that the Belt will ultimately lose several teams then they will fill those places with WAC or FC teams. There is no reason for the Belt to move before it is known how the MWC and CUSA shake out. No teams with perceived other options are going to jump to the Belt while there is a chance for their inclusion in a higher rated league. Likewise, the teams that would be open to Belt membership now will still be there.

plus 1