We Complain alot

shaft

I haven't seen much hate around the internet. Where is this hate you speak of coming from? What is wrong with complaining about a losing program that can clearly be better if better play calls are made? This team could be 4-3 this season if certain realistic things had been changed during play time. Fans should expect more from their team and should stick with them even through tough times, but expect more nonetheless.

By the way, did you mean to say mean green fans complain "a lot"?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I haven't seen much hate around the internet. Where is this hate you speak of coming from? What is wrong with complaining about a losing program that can clearly be better if better play calls are made? This team could be 4-3 this season if certain realistic things had been changed during play time. Fans should expect more from their team and should stick with them even through tough times, but expect more nonetheless.

By the way, did you mean to say mean green fans complain "a lot"?

Dan has raised our expectations for steak and we are getting dog food...I see an improved defensive line...but the secondary isn't so great and the offense down right stinks....but with so many years of crappy UNt football, I should be adjusted by now...at least we have a new stadium and admin support and money....now...for a football team..and conference!

• Upvote 2

I think the frustration on the part of many is that we essentially wasted the previous four years with a coach who had no business running a Division I program as a head coach and there was hope the opening of our new stadium would coincide with a return to winning football. Unfortunately, we opened our new stadium and are starting over with rebuilding rather than competing for a conference title. I also am frustrated the UNT did not make the head coaching change a year earlier when the writing was on the wall and we'd at least have somewhat of a foundation set going into this season at Apogee but hindsight is always 20/20 they say.

Edited by stryker
  • Upvote 2

We have a reason to complain. New coach or not, we still get dumb penalties, can't block for field goals (4 or 5 blocks this season), and give up at least one blown coverage TD a game. I think most people would feel better if we were able to show improvement in these areas, I know I would.

• Upvote 2

I'm starting to see why other fan bases don't like.

There are UNT "fans" allover the internet complaining about the game.

All reasonable projections had this team with 3-5 wins.

UL-L just earned their first bowl bid ever, why the hate?

Because this game was winnable! At the beginning of the year I didn't think this was a win, but after the game I see how many chances we pissed away! ULL isn't that good! How does losing a game to a team that you probably should have beat not upset you?

• Upvote 2

How does losing a game to a team that you probably should have beat not upset you?

I don't know how you get that UNT probably should have beaten them or anybody else decent in the Sun Belt yet. We were terrible the past five years. We have to prove ourselves.

Because we have seven eight straight years of losing football games. I damn sure hope we are complaining

I think it goes to the fact we have given this staff the resources it needs in regards to facilities/salary upgrades etc. & are just so hungry for a ROI. after the last regimes lack of performance the current one is paying for our past patience.

• Upvote 5

I think it goes to the fact we have given this staff the resources it needs in regards to facilities/salary upgrades etc. & are just so hungry for a ROI. after the last regimes lack of performance the current one is paying for our past patience.

This. And I have been wondering as to the extent the current staff understands that issue. Still, recognizing a problem and being able to fix it are two different things.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think that deep down most people know what the new staff is up against, know that Rome wasn't built in a day, and know we hired a guy whose rebuilding resume consisted of a methodical, deliberate 5 year turnaround.

What frustrates some in the moment, though - besides the elevated bitter taste on gameday - is seeing other schools on our level make hires that don't need "their guys" and a four year plan. Hudspeth, for instance, took over a team that was picked to finish dead last - behind NT, mind you - in just about every SBC preseason poll - most experts thought our talent level was on par with or above that of the Cajuns, and their first year coach, with no excuses or complaints, has his guys on the way to winning conference and they've clinched a bowl game. It was a similar feeling many of us had watching Cristobal and Stockstill go to bowl games and turnaround their programs in the first two years of the Dodge area... it just feels like we've seen this before, regardless of how kneejerky it is.

Again, I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying we're not improved. I'm not even saying it's how I feel personally. I just understand the frustration even in year one... and frankly, I welcome it. The facilities are in place. This staff has more than Dodge ever got to experience, and more than Dickey could have possibly imagined. It has more than similar staffs on our level that are outpacing us on the field. I get it. I'm not losing faith, but I get it.

We need to finish strong.

• Upvote 2

Check the ESPN.com comments.

I just did and, honestly, I didn't see much whining about us losing on espn.com. Again, where is alll this whining and annoying commentary coming from? Like I said, NOTHING wrong about UNT fans feeling sick of losing games we can clearly win. We have to expect more from our team and coaches until we start finishing off winnable games.

I think that deep down most people know what the new staff is up against, know that Rome wasn't built in a day, and know we hired a guy whose rebuilding resume consisted of a methodical, deliberate 5 year turnaround.

What frustrates some in the moment, though - besides the elevated bitter taste on gameday - is seeing other schools on our level make hires that don't need "their guys" and a four year plan. Hudspeth, for instance, took over a team that was picked to finish dead last - behind NT, mind you - in just about every SBC preseason poll - most experts thought our talent level was on par with or above that of the Cajuns, and their first year coach, with no excuses or complaints, has his guys on the way to winning conference and they've clinched a bowl game. It was a similar feeling many of us had watching Cristobal and Stockstill go to bowl games and turnaround their programs in the first two years of the Dodge area... it just feels like we've seen this before, regardless of how kneejerky it is.

Again, I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying we're not improved. I'm not even saying it's how I feel personally. I just understand the frustration even in year one... and frankly, I welcome it. The facilities are in place. This staff has more than Dodge ever got to experience, and more than Dickey could have possibly imagined. It has more than similar staffs on our level that are outpacing us on the field. I get it. I'm not losing faith, but I get it.

We need to finish strong.

Exactly. I am utterly sick of hearing fans talk about "rebuilding." You can't lose and allude everything to rebuilding. ULL is a perfect example of how it IS possible for a team in the belt to completely change a program quickly. Coach Mac needs to be able to teach these guys how to finish off games because they have no idea how to play 4 quarters of football. If can't do that, I'm not sure he's the right guy for this program. Sorry to say, but there are no excuses for us losing so much, especially in winnable games. We aren't trying to rebuild a program competing against the OU's, Alabamas, A&M's, etc.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't know how you get that UNT probably should have beaten them or anybody else decent in the Sun Belt yet. We were terrible the past five years. We have to prove ourselves.

I am sorry, but quit putting up excuses. ULL was also terrible in the past and picked behind us in the preseason polls. Look what their coach has done to a losing team in his first year. There is no excuse for us to lose winnable games like this, especially the way we do. So many stupid mistakes and questionable play calls and not being able to finish off a game IS reason to demand the program to step up now. I'm sick and tired of hearing excuses and accepting losing. How much we let Dodge damage our image is beyond mind blowing, let's not continue this tradition anymore. I fully expect this team to quickly learn how to finish off winnable games.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Turnarounds happen at every level, and different coaches go about it different ways.

As a point of reference, Texas State went 1-6 in the Southland last year. This offseason they hired Dennis Franchione (and some Diet Coke drinkin' dude named Darrell to run the offense), and they already have 5 wins (undefeated against FCS opposition - only losses to Texas Tech and Wyoming).

If we wanted the quick turnaround, wanted the quick fix, this was our hire. We went another way... I believe that RV's feeling was that McCarney was a more solid long-term choice - it's either that or he was scared away by Fran's off field issues (marginal though they may be) or tendency to job-hop. Regardless, Texas State pulled the trigger we didn't, and by early returns, anyway, they're quite happy they did. The flip side, of course, is where TxSt is in five years. Will Fran be there? Historically, the answer is no - though if you're at a critical moment in your program's history and you need to win now (as they move towards FBS), I can scarcely imagine a better scenario for the Cats.... and they could have banked on this: In all his stops other than the A&M debacle, Fran has had his team at 7 wins or more within 1 or 2 years, regardless of what he inherited.

It's all in style, of course. I'm assuming RV went with the more steady, slow-building, methodical McCarney. Most here felt this was a solid choice, and most still do. What many need to realize is that in our small sample size, McCarney is not the quick fix turnaround artist Fran is. He built Iowa State in a very different manner.

Mac's first FIVE seasons at ISU:

3-8

2-9

1-10

3-8

4-7

Now, in his sixth season he broke out with 9 wins, and many argue that it's easier to get good quickly in the Belt (probable, but also consider the sliding scale affects ISU vs. NT as well as the conferences). Some would also point out that McCarney's big seasons were directly linked to the arrival of Sage Rosenfels & Seneca Wallace, which may give us an idea as to how important it is to excel at the QB position in this system.

I think we all expect McCarney to do much better (much faster) here than at ISU. We all agree that if he duplicates his ISU win totals here, he'll never see the fifth season, much less the sixth. I just felt it's worth noting that this is what we bought - a lifer coach who has never been a part of a "quick" turnaround from the head coaching position. This is in NO WAY an indictment of the choice, mind you - I'm still feeling pretty good about where we are - I'm just putting out the idea that it seems RV & Co. was interested in other things beyond the "win now!" philosophy many are expecting to see from this staff. Fran was a win now choice. Mac is the kind of guy, historically, that may play freshmen and build things slowly - which is what we're seeing now... it just needs to move faster this time.

• Upvote 3