Can SMU Save The Big East?

Harry

SMU is among the Big East's potential targets for expansion, according to the Boston Globe.

The story also lists SMU's Conference USA counterpart Central Florida, along with Navy and Temple as possible targets. The Big East is in desperation mode with Syracuse and Pitt jumping to the ACC. It's also unclear if the Big 12 will target remaining members such as Louisville and West Virginia, further weakening the conference.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/can-smu-save-the-big-east.html

It reeks of desperation - especially desperation to make sure TCU stays put. SMU brings decent, Syracuse-level football, but a small market, horrible attendance (was at Amon G. Carter for the Skillet, and if only about 3,000 Pony fans travel for that game, imagine how many will be in Connecticut), no basketball worth mentioning, and is barely a research university. I have to thing that the Big East already went asking to Houston and got a stern no.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes. The Big East is really lacking in the pink polo department.

:lol:

Anyway, SMU alone wont be saving any conference. With the addition of UCF, SMU, Navy, and Temple, coupled with a better sense of solidarity and direction within the Big East (or increase the price of abandonment) yes, the conference might be saved.

It reeks of desperation - especially desperation to make sure TCU stays put. SMU brings decent, Syracuse-level football, but a small market, horrible attendance (was at Amon G. Carter for the Skillet, and if only about 3,000 Pony fans travel for that game, imagine how many will be in Connecticut), no basketball worth mentioning, and is barely a research university. I have to thing that the Big East already went asking to Houston and got a stern no.

Umm the SMU allotment of tickets was only 1,000. TCU does this on purpose.

Edited by Comet7745
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If SMU is to move up the Big East is the perfect spot. I think that's a conference which has it's arrow pointing down even when being the lowest of the major conferences.

I could see a strong possibility of them losing their BCS AQ tie-in, regardless of whether they are successful of landing their targets. Their targets don't come close to replacing the schools that are leaving as far as football strength is concerned.

:lol:

Anyway, SMU alone wont be saving any conference. With the addition of UCF, SMU, Navy, and Temple, coupled with a better sense of solidarity and direction within the Big East (or increase the price of abandonment) yes, the conference might be saved.

Umm the SMU allotment of tickets was only 1,000. TCU does this on purpose.

Comet...if you keep posting on here the way you do (with courtesy) it will change my stereotypical view of SMU fans. Welcome to the board. Now kneel before Mac.

Zod.JPG

SMU brings nothing to the Big East. Comet7745, you seem like a good person, an oddity based upon my past experiences with SMU, so please don't take my comments personal.

No problem, I am fully aware of the stereotype of SMU.

Anyway, SMU does offer the Big East something. Unfortunately, what I'm about to argue assumes that TCU will stay in the conference, which is far from a certainty at this point. If the Big East wants to increase appeal for its football adding natural regional rivals for its members is a good idea. Emphasizing SMU/TCU and UCF/USF rivalry games would be good for the conference. Just look at the intrigue already created by us beating TCU and Patterson making a fool of himself today. People are already interested about the rematch. Why not add even more intrigue by making that game a conference one which could decide a division? Another benefit for SMU is that it provides travelling partners for other schools when they visit TCU. It's easier to knock off two scheduled games in DFW as opposed to spending more resources to go to TCU for one game then down to Houston for another. And judging from things I've heard around the rumor mill, the Big East is fond of the whole private/academic orientation of SMU. I suppose that's all I've got regarding SMU to Big East stuff.

• Upvote 2

We should be begging the Big East to take SMU. It would virtually lock us into C-USA.

Sadly, a lot of people on this board would rather see us stay in the Sun Belt than take SMU's spot in C-USA.

Once again, we should be careful what we wish for. As was sated in another thread, SMU going to the Big East would now mean NT would be the only metroplex school not in an AQ conference, thus minimizing our already nonexistent media coverage.

Second, I don't think we can say with 100% certainty that we'd be a lock to replace SMU.

Once again, we should be careful what we wish for. As was sated in another thread, SMU going to the Big East would now mean NT would be the only metroplex school not in an AQ conference, thus minimizing our already nonexistent media coverage.

Second, I don't think we can say with 100% certainty that we'd be a lock to replace SMU.

Those points are valid but our play on the field is a direct reflection of the media coverage we get. I am not saying the metroplex can't do a better job of covering us but we need to give the news outlets a reason to cover us. We need to win and if we do that consistently and make some noise doing it then we'll get plenty of coverage in my opinion.

SMU is among the Big East's potential targets for expansion, according to the Boston Globe.

The story also lists SMU's Conference USA counterpart Central Florida, along with Navy and Temple as possible targets. The Big East is in desperation mode with Syracuse and Pitt jumping to the ACC. It's also unclear if the Big 12 will target remaining members such as Louisville and West Virginia, further weakening the conference.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/can-smu-save-the-big-east.html

Let me answer you here.

No.

• Upvote 1

Those points are valid but our play on the field is a direct reflection of the media coverage we get. I am not saying the metroplex can't do a better job of covering us but we need to give the news outlets a reason to cover us. We need to win and if we do that consistently and make some noise doing it then we'll get plenty of coverage in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't think it matters. When we beat Indiana on the same day that SMUt beat Memphis, who got the coverage? If SMUt goes to the Big East and gets trounced by West Virginia on the same day we beat up on UAB, who do you think gets the coverage?

• Upvote 1

:cigar:Did anyone ever think that Coach Patterson (not known for such antics) had maybe even rehearsed this rant because it will give him (and TCU) an out on sponsoring SMU for the Big East?

TCU has been operating (and recruiting) rogue since they entered the MWC while at the same time trying to keep their distance from ex SWC schools now in CUSA for definite reasons and just observing at what happened at Pasadena, CA, last January at the Rose Bowl I think TCU's modus operendi of being separate from their former SWC/CUSA bretheran has paid some very nice dividends.

Yet if SMU is in the Big East then TCU has lost some of their exclusivity and operating in rogue status?

I think this a possible reason for Coach Pat's rant at ACS versus SMU and from one usually not prone to ranting. Just sayin'...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen