The Scott Hall Debate

BIG DAWG

No. 11 - Scott Hall - All He Did Was Win Ball Games

Scott Hall was the definition of leadership throughout the winningest period that North Texas football has ever seen. Compared to today’s wide open offenses Hall’s stats don’t jump off the page, but what he inspired was nothing short of extraordinary.

In fairness, those stats are nothing to balk at either – 5,975 passing yards (4th in NT history), 50 touchdowns (3rd) and a 132.26 passing efficiency (1st).

But, it was the fact that he earned a pair of All-Sun Belt Conference nods while handing the ball off to some of the best running backs in the country, all while guiding his offense to numerous conference titles and bowl appearances, that made Hall such an asset to the Mean Green.

Hall led the Mean Green to a 52-14 Fouts Field win over the Big 12’s Baylor, and lost only a single Sun Belt game in his career. Only one other QB in school history led the Mean Green in passing four years.

Hall will always be remembered fondly by the Mean Green Nation as not just a great quarterback, but a winner.

Thank you Mean Green Sports.com for making my argument crystal clear on why Scott Hall should be in the NT Hall of Fame!

• Upvote 3

He should be a first ballot entry. Many here never saw it, but if you saw the Miracle In The Desert game alone you would understand. One of the greatest individual efforts by a QB I have ever seen, all with meniscus damage btw.

He will go down as one of our toughest athletes of all time. I'm very appreciative to have gotten to witness most of it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I definately didn't appreciate Scott while in school and wacthing him. It's only in retorspect and after wacthing the efforts of others do Irealize what Scott brought to the table and how winning cannot be undervalued at any cost.

Gets my vote for 1st ballot.

• Upvote 1

He was eligible last year, I believe I was told by the Sports Information office.

It is a CRIME that he and Booger, who was passed over again this year, are not in the NT Hall Of Fame.

As you can see I support Booger for the Hall of Fame in my signature.

I definately didn't appreciate Scott while in school and wacthing him. It's only in retorspect and after wacthing the efforts of others do Irealize what Scott brought to the table and how winning cannot be undervalued at any cost.

Gets my vote for 1st ballot.

This is the very reason that we all need to soak up some Lance Dunbar this season. After all is said and done he will very likely be the most prolific running back in Mean Green history. Although we will all miss his greatness after this year, we will look forward to him plying his trade on Sundays in 2012.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

I didn't know there was any sort of debate...Scott Hall and Brandon "Booger" Kennedy are locks for the Hall of Fame. The only question is when, and for me it is past time...so, any year now and the sooner the better!

With Walter Chapman continually left out, anything is possible with the NT HOF. I think Hall and Kennedy are sure things. I do wonder why the selection committee seems to be putting so many athletes in only a few years after their playing days. I would propose a 5 or 10 year time frame before anyone could be admitted measured from their playing days. More time gives the committee a better perspective on the playing careers. Dunbar for example is a sure thing, but why not wait a while were it will be more meaningful to the athlete and the fans.

Even with my usual Chapman rant, I don't think the HOF is restrictive enough. It should be something special and putting anywhere from 4 to 6 in every year will quickly dilute the honor. Obviusly, bigger classes to account for all those years that there was no HOF was necessary but in my view it is time to cut back the classes. Just being good IMO is not good enough, athletes should be special. Most already in deserve to be there, but there are a few I wonder about.

He should be a first ballot entry. Many here never saw it, but if you saw the Miracle In The Desert game alone you would understand. One of the greatest individual efforts by a QB I have ever seen, all with meniscus damage btw.

He will go down as one of our toughest athletes of all time. I'm very appreciative to have gotten to witness most of it.

Rick

This the other part of Scott Hall that not many give him credit for...the guy was tough as nails!

Scott Hall epitomizes the old adage of "He couldn't run. He couldn't pass. All he could do was beat you."

Yes, I know that he could run and pass but he was at his greatest when he needed to be.

The other adage from the oft played NFL Films.

"Great players aren't always great, they're just great when they have to be."