Wind Turbine Update

What's Better? $2M grant for a new technology that may be beneficial and will provide valuable research for the future, or a $2M tax break to industries recording record profits?

A $2 Million dollar tax break to industries recording record profits that creates and maintains secure jobs.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I said it on another thread. The area where the turbines will be installed is too low to generate any substantial electricity anyway. I will not be surprised if power is actually given to the turbines to make them appear to be working. It's too low and not enough wind. Do the calculations for turbines. Do it.

OwenStarskyHutchSignatureDoIt.jpg

I said it on another thread. The area where the turbines will be installed is too low to generate any substantial electricity anyway. I will not be surprised if power is actually given to the turbines to make them appear to be working. It's too low and not enough wind. Do the calculations for turbines. Do it.

Shhhhhhhhhh.. Don't burden us with your bothersom facts! We are much too busy basking in the "We are the first Ultra-Green Stadium, which makes us care more than you" glow to be bothered by something as trivial as simple mathmatical calculations.

At a time when this state faces a budget problem, this is a waste of 2 million bucks, no matter whether you like these things are not.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Shhhhhhhhhh.. Don't burden us with your bothersom facts! We are much too busy basking in the "We are the first Ultra-Green Stadium, which makes us care more than you" glow to be bothered by something as trivial as simple mathmatical calculations.

At a time when this state faces a budget problem, this is a waste of 2 million bucks, no matter whether you like these things are not.

I could care less. If the money was already going to be wasted on wind turbines that don't work then I guess I would rather them at UNT for their uniqueness than at some other school. Either way its 2 million wasted like you said.

• Downvote 1

I could care less. If the money was already going to be wasted on wind turbines that don't work then I guess I would rather them at UNT for their uniqueness than at some other school. Either way its 2 million wasted like you said.

Here is an idea: How about we not waste 2 million on anything.

Wow, what a freaking concept.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

A $2 Million dollar tax break to industries recording record profits that creates and maintains secure jobs.

Rick

.....until the oil/gas/coal runs out. Creating construction/maintenance jobs for renewable energy devices sounds like pretty secure jobs to me. Not to mention the monitoring and research jobs to continue to improve the product.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Where is the link for this research?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Yes, that makes perfect sense: investing in something that is counter productive.

I think there is political justification for all of this. Where is euless when you need them?

.....until the oil/gas/coal runs out. Creating construction/maintenance jobs for renewable energy devices sounds like pretty secure jobs to me. Not to mention the monitoring and research jobs to continue to improve the product.

The oil and gas industry isn't the only industry that benefits from a tax break. And just those two alone

employee no telling how many more thousands than the wind industry does. The turbines will be installed within weeks, so it seems, if they are to be ready by August. That doesnt sound like a very sustainable employment period to me? And it seems to me if the wind industry is going to help in any measurable longterm way it must develope better quality storage systems. Is developing better storage systems part of this grant? And if so, what facility at Eagle Point will house this research? That to me is why if this is a serious grant meant for research that will truly make a difference the turbines needed to be at research park, not next to our beautiful new stadium.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

What's worse? $2M grant for a new technology that may be beneficial and will provide valuable research for the future, or a $2M tax break to industries recording record profits?

1. Those tax breaks are available to all industries making long-term capital investments, not just oil companies. You cannot take that away from just one industry, that would be unconstitutional. The rhetoric on "tax breaks for the oil industry" only serves to distract from energy policy changes that would have a meaningful daily impact on the American people and the economy as a whole.

2. A grant is a totally different story - funding funneled into pet projects happen all over the budget. $2 million here, $30 million there... pretty soon you're talking real money.

• Upvote 2

1. Those tax breaks are available to all industries making long-term capital investments, not just oil companies. You cannot take that away from just one industry, that would be unconstitutional. The rhetoric on "tax breaks for the oil industry" only serves to distract from energy policy changes that would have a meaningful daily impact on the American people and the economy as a whole.

2. A grant is a totally different story - funding funneled into pet projects happen all over the budget. $2 million here, $30 million there... pretty soon you're talking real money.

So what is worse? "Wasting" $2M on a pet project, or not even collecting that same tax money?

Texas' SECO has given money for over 40 energy projects. I wouldn't define that as a pet project, seems like the beginning of a long term investment in renewables.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

windmill_beard.jpg

I think I'll trust the research done by those actually involved in the project over 'calculations' done by message board posters.

Why can't we just enjoy and be proud of one of the best things to happen to our program and university instead of finding anything and everything wrong with it and the process?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think I'll trust the research done by those actually involved in the project over 'calculations' done by message board posters.

Why can't we just enjoy and be proud of one of the best things to happen to our program and university instead of finding anything and everything wrong with it and the process?

Because we're just not happy unless there are wrinkled $100 bills laying around to be picked up. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

One of the principle problems with "renewables" such as wind and solar is that sometimes the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine. When that happens, the power still needs to be supplied and that is done by "traditional" power generation. So, every kilowatt potentially provided by renewal power sources also needs to be accounted for (and the capacity to supply it needs to be increased) on the traditional side. So renewable power is at least twice as expensive...the cost of providing the already expensive renewable power itself *plus* the cost of expanding the traditional power grid to supply that same power demand when the renewable cannot. So for those that think they are sticking it to the power company by putting up turbines or solar panels, that's probably not the case.

Keith

One of the principle problems with "renewables" such as wind and solar is that sometimes the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine. When that happens, the power still needs to be supplied and that is done by "traditional" power generation. So, every kilowatt potentially provided by renewal power sources also needs to be accounted for (and the capacity to supply it needs to be increased) on the traditional side. So renewable power is at least twice as expensive...the cost of providing the already expensive renewable power itself *plus* the cost of expanding the traditional power grid to supply that same power demand when the renewable cannot. So for those that think they are sticking it to the power company by putting up turbines or solar panels, that's probably not the case.

Keith

BIG ASS BATTERIES PERHAPS? I mean really Big Ass batteries...can't the eco/green folks come up with some bad ass big ass batteries for this problem? Just sayin...... :ph34r:

I'm not a tree hugger, and personally I don't care how they power our new stadium, as long as the lights turn on for the night games. I will say, I'm not a fan of wasting taxpayer money. I pay too much in taxes.

I saw a bit on TV once about a guy who had his own turbine in his backyard. It generated power but it all fed straight back into the grid.

His house was powered by the grid, and the electric company paid him back/reimbursed him for the power fed from the turbine.

I don't know how our's work, but that could be a possibility.

'Ya got that right, Eppie.

• Downvote 1

If putting up ugly wind turbines is the "best thing to happen to our program and university" then I'm going to start looking for a new team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4