Inside The New Stadium And Logo

Harry

The video board dimensions that Brett was given have to be wrong. 49 X 25 puts us at 1225 SF, which isn't the third biggest in Texas. We need to get above 1500 SF to pass SMU for third place. He did say it was just an off the top of the head number, but most everyone in the athletic department has been saying for months now it would be the third biggest.

Even if it is only 1225 SF though, that is still really, really big.

The video board dimensions that Brett was given have to be wrong. 49 X 25 puts us at 1225 SF, which isn't the third biggest in Texas. We need to get above 1500 SF to pass SMU for third place. He did say it was just an off the top of the head number, but most everyone in the athletic department has been saying for months now it would be the third biggest.

Even if it is only 1225 SF though, that is still really, really big.

Brett is way off on his dimensions. If you will count the 4x8 panels on the backside you will find that there are 11x8'=88' across the bottom and 8x4'=32' in height. That would calculate to 2814 SF; more than twice Vito's figures. Maybe the entire area will not be videoboard but I can't imagine that less than half would be viewing area.

• Upvote 2

Only 7 of those panels across represent the video screen (in between the pillars). My super accurate (lol) ruler on the monitor test puts those panels at about 7'x4' assuming that the 4' measurement is correct. Also there's a 1' run at the bottom of the board visible here.

That would be 49'x33'...pretty close to Brett's number. About 175 square feet bigger than SMU's for third place in the state and 40 square feet bigger than ULM's.

UNT: 1617 sq ft

ULM: 1577 sq ft

SMU: 1440 sq ft

Edited by ColoradoEagle

49'x25' doesn't sound right. If the video board has a standard aspect ratio of 16:9, then with a factor of 3, it could be 48'x27', for 1296 sq ft. A 16:10 aspect ratio would be 48'x30', for 1440 sq ft - the same as SMU. Of course, it doesn't necessarily need to be in multiples of a foot, and it doesn't necessarily have to have a standard aspect ratio.

I wonder if Soundman has any experience with stadium video boards...

49'x25' doesn't sound right. If the video board has a standard aspect ratio of 16:9, then with a factor of 3, it could be 48'x27', for 1296 sq ft. A 16:10 aspect ratio would be 48'x30', for 1440 sq ft - the same as SMU. Of course, it doesn't necessarily need to be in multiples of a foot, and it doesn't necessarily have to have a standard aspect ratio.

I wonder if Soundman has any experience with stadium video boards...

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Pandora's box.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Only 7 of those panels across represent the video screen (in between the pillars). My super accurate (lol) ruler on the monitor test puts those panels at about 7'x4' assuming that the 4' measurement is correct. Also there's a 1' run at the bottom of the board visible here.

That would be 49'x33'...pretty close to Brett's number. About 175 square feet bigger than SMU's for third place in the state and 40 square feet bigger than ULM's.

UNT: 1617 sq ft

ULM: 1577 sq ft

SMU: 1440 sq ft

originally posted as being 30 x 50 ft by UNT in the last year or two.

• Upvote 1

Let's stop dancing around the inevitable: if the dimensions aren't exactly as expected, some of ya'll are gonna tee up the AD and be upset it isn't exactly as they said it would be, right?

Truthfully (and this isn't meant as a flame), I think the difference between some fans and others is those that take things as gospel/promises vs. those that don't. This results in a rift because some of you think you've been betrayed. I may be alone, but I don't feel that way.

I really don't know what will turn of all this. I just don't care for drama. If we are the 4th largest instead of the 3rd largest screen in Texas, I don't think recruits are going to hold that against us.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

Let's stop dancing around the inevitable: if the dimensions aren't exactly as expected, some of ya'll are gonna tee up the AD and be upset it isn't exactly as they said it would be, right?

Truthfully (and this isn't meant as a flame), I think the difference between some fans and others is those that take things as gospel/promises vs. those that don't. This results in a rift because some of you think you've been betrayed. I may be alone, but I don't feel that way.

I really don't know what will turn of all this. I just don't care for drama. If we are the 4th largest instead of the 3rd largest screen in Texas, I don't think recruits are going to hold that against us.

A voice of reason in the wilderness. +1 for you, Sir.

And...GO MEAN GREEN!

hopefully the put "North Texas" in the middle of the fields, and SOW on the helmets.... i already know its going to be vice versa though.... im just ready to see the view from the wingzone.... i wasnt big in the begining on the eagle wing but after seeing the steepness or elevation of the stands i think the viewing will be 10 fold what you got sitting in the endzone at fouts!!! but maybe im the only one on this board who will be sitting there haha i dont care where i sit as long as we beat houston!