The Mwc

I've been a fan of UNT going back to the Mean Green days. Glad to see the new stadium and recent hire of a great coaching staff. UNT should become a dominant force in Texas once again in a few years.

Guys, I have it on good authority that the pair of UNT and UTSA are high on the MWC's list of potential candidates if they can not land the pair of SMU and UH (which does not look likely). The prime objectives for MWC expansion is media markets to increase revenues and recruiting. With UNT the MWC will gain access into the Top 5 Metroplex market. Combine this with the large market of San Antiono, South Texas and Hill Country with UTSA and revues look very good. The MWC Com. recently made a comment that expansion would not dilute per team pay outs. The only expansion that will grow per team payouts is entry into Texas. El Paso is a small media market and UTEP wishes to stay in Texas which only improves the stakes of UNT and UTSA.

Who knows, but if the MWC continues to be the strongest non AQ conference maybe UTEP, TSU, LaTech and Utah State could join for a 16 team league.

BTW, you guys needs a baseball team. Texas is a stronger collegiate BB state than FB state these days and you guys would be part of the action with the Metroplex as your recruiting backyard. Just look at what DBU has accomplished!

Edited by UNT Fan From a Distance
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It would be fantastic, but I just don't see the attraction of UT-SA considering they have never fielded a football team and their other sports are mediocre at best.

I would also argue that Texas is now a stronger baseball state than football state. I think they are about even. Heck, just take a peek at Oregon's football roster. They would be nothing without their Texas athletes. Yes, we do need a baseball team though, and I would expect that to be the focus of the Athletic Department once our football stadium opens this fall.

Back on topic, I would also be interested in knowing where your source of information comes from.

It would be fantastic, but I just don't see the attraction of UT-SA considering they have never fielded a football team and their other sports are mediocre at best.

I would also argue that Texas is now a stronger baseball state than football state. I think they are about even. Heck, just take a peek at Oregon's football roster. They would be nothing without their Texas athletes. Yes, we do need a baseball team though, and I would expect that to be the focus of the Athletic Department once our football stadium opens this fall.

Back on topic, I would also be interested in knowing where your source of information comes from.

UTSA is in a great destination city and with a stadium that 2 AQ teams annually have no problems accepting bowl invites to the Alamo City.

UH & SMU would merely be re-arranging their respective deck chairs to go with the MWC, but North Texas would be getting a ticket on a nice, new luxury cruise ship if we got in. We would not come into the MWC hat in hand, either--we have an upside to offer this league that I'd bet their top officials already recognize.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

I believe that if the MWC is set on adding a team back in Texas, North Texas has a good chance of being that team. I just can't see any of the C-USA West teams moving.

But I can't see the MWC adding a UTSA team that has never played a game. I doubt North Texas would demand a travel partner as an incentive to joining the MWC. TCU didn't get one when they joined. Personally, I think Utah State will still be the other team added.

I'd be happy with North Texas in a 12 team MWC. If that happened I'd think Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming and one other team, would all be with UNT in the Eastern Division.

The MWC is meeting later this month. Maybe we will know more then.

Edited by Side Show Joe

I've been a fan of UNT going back to the Mean Green days.

What does that mean? The team down in Austin may have had a sucky year in football, but college baseball will NEVER surpass college football in Texas. I do agree that we need a baseball program in Denton ASAP though. Thought we had one a couple of years ago, but they pulled the rug out from under us. Hopefully increased revenues from a much improved football program willl help get us there.

I'd take either CUSA or MWC, although the future MWC will be a glorified WAC. Neither Smut, Boise, nor Nevada offer baseball (I didn't check current MWC members).

If you think the MWC is "just" a glorified WAC, I will match with the fact that CUSA is just a glorified SBC. CUSA, although having other Texas schools, offers very little in national prestige or coverage. With Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State, and Hawaii all having strong success over the last 5 years and knowing that San Diego State, Air Force, Colorado State, and New Mexico have had good teams over parts of the last decade, I will take those teams everyday over SMU, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, UCF, etc. TCU made their way by ditching the Texas teams and making their way through the MWC. We can do the same thing.

• Upvote 2

If you think the MWC is "just" a glorified WAC, I will match with the fact that CUSA is just a glorified SBC. CUSA, although having other Texas schools, offers very little in national prestige or coverage. With Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State, and Hawaii all having strong success over the last 5 years and knowing that San Diego State, Air Force, Colorado State, and New Mexico have had good teams over parts of the last decade, I will take those teams everyday over SMU, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, UCF, etc. TCU made their way by ditching the Texas teams and making their way through the MWC. We can do the same thing.

I tend to agree with this.

The MWC-lite will become a glorified WAC by trading TCU, BYU, and Utah for Boise, Nevada, Fresno, and Hawaii. It will be better than the current WAC but basically just a re-mix of the same schools from the past WAC. CUSA is above the SBC in national prestige and coverage, from number of Bowl games to national conference rankings. Ask anyone on the street too.

The MWC has Air Force, ColoSt, SD State, LV and NM. This is hardly a glorified WAC, it is much more.

• Upvote 2

The MWC-lite will become a glorified WAC by trading TCU, BYU, and Utah for Boise, Nevada, Fresno, and Hawaii.

Losing those teams is a big blow to the MWC, no doubt. But gaining the other four makes it pretty close to an even exchange. Boise has been better in football in recent years than any of the teams the MWC is losing.

Why TCU ditching the other CUSA Texas teams worked for them as a MWC school I will never know--but it did.

I do know the MWC and some good Mean Green football teams means Top 25 rankings while good Mean Green teams in the 'Belt may just garner some votes for Top 25. 10 years in the SBC with not 1 of our teams in the Top 25 should be a pretty big eye-opener for those wanting to go another 10 in the Sun Belt (and who knows, that still may be our conference in 10 years).

Yet it seems UNT may soon have a "win-win" whether UH/SMU stays or leaves. Win-win? :blink: What a most rare conference alignment scenario for us to have in Denton.

Wonder how La Tech fares in all this? Have they started passing out the syanide capsuls yet? :o

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All those schools are former WAC. Glorified WAC in terms of conference name as the schools are the same as in the historical WAC, not in quality to the current WAC. Geez. :rolleyes:

I think about half the D1 schools in Mountain and Pacific time zones were at some point associated with the WAC.

Edited by UNTFan23

FWIW, I think CUSA has the most bowl tie-ins of any non-AQ.

Something to consider when arguing media prestige/exposure...

And CUSA has a MUCH better TV package in terms of both coverage and dollars to the conference. More than one TCU alum had to go to a sports bar in search of a system that carried the channel their game was on as they couldn't get it at their home.

All those schools are former WAC. Glorified WAC in terms of conference name as the schools are the same as in the historical WAC, not in quality to the current WAC. Geez. :rolleyes:

I don't get it. The three that you say were traded...TCU, BYU, and Utah are also former WAC members. If this has now become a glorified WAC then it was a glorified WAC before. Not that that is bad; the WAC was once a very respected conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been a fan of UNT going back to the Mean Green days. Glad to see the new stadium and recent hire of a great coaching staff. UNT should become a dominant force in Texas once again in a few years.

Guys, I have it on good authority that the pair of UNT and UTSA are high on the MWC's list of potential candidates if they can not land the pair of SMU and UH (which does not look likely). The prime objectives for MWC expansion is media markets to increase revenues and recruiting. With UNT the MWC will gain access into the Top 5 Metroplex market. Combine this with the large market of San Antiono, South Texas and Hill Country with UTSA and revues look very good. The MWC Com. recently made a comment that expansion would not dilute per team pay outs. The only expansion that will grow per team payouts is entry into Texas. El Paso is a small media market and UTEP wishes to stay in Texas which only improves the stakes of UNT and UTSA.

Who knows, but if the MWC continues to be the strongest non AQ conference maybe UTEP, TSU, LaTech and Utah State could join for a 16 team league.

BTW, you guys needs a baseball team. Texas is a stronger collegiate BB state than FB state these days and you guys would be part of the action with the Metroplex as your recruiting backyard. Just look at what DBU has accomplished!

I don't really care where you got your information because you have already given me a stiffy...BUT I do question why you think that SMU and Houston wouldn't jump as this opportunity. I hate to be second in line to them but I also don't see the attraction of UTSA.

I don't really care where you got your information because you have already given me a stiffy...BUT I do question why you think that SMU and Houston wouldn't jump as this opportunity. I hate to be second in line to them but I also don't see the attraction of UTSA.

Because CUSA makes a lot more money than the MWC and has more national exposure due to a low install base for the Mtn. Also, I'm sure most of our alums would rather see us in CUSA than the MWC if given the choice, which should tell you all you need to know of why those schools probably don't want to jump. As others have said, though, the choice between the SBC and the MWC isn't a choice at all.