Full Story On Riley Transferring

Brett Vito

I sure hate to see him transfer, but this has to be the result Riley being told he wasn't going to be given the chance to play quarterback. (This may be stated in the article, but my phone isn't opening the attachment.)

Best of luck in the future and I hope you finixh your career injury free.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dodge said that he was told by McCarney and offensive coordinator Mike Canales that he would get a chance to play quarterback next season and that a potential position switch and the dismissal of his father had nothing to do with his decision.

“I was planning on staying,” Dodge said. “I know coach McCarney is going to do well and win a lot of games. There was just something that was telling me that it was time to go.”

so incredibly weak... he just gave "get the hell outta dodge", a whole new meaning here in Denton.... riley gave it all he had, but he decided to leave UNT in the end, so it shows he has no loyalty to this town or the school(just his dad).....thank god the dodge era is finally over, lets go brent osbourn, hope hes aware of whats going down

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

so incredibly weak... he just gave "get the hell outta dodge", a whole new meaning here in Denton.... riley gave it all he had, but he decided to leave UNT in the end, so it shows he has no loyalty to this town or the school(just his dad).....thank god the dodge era is finally over, lets go brent osbourn, hope hes aware of whats going down

Brent Osborn is aware. Packing his bags for NT.

i hate that he is leaving, he was a hell of a competitor...but if it came down to loyalty to my father or a university, i'd pick family every time.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

A spoiled brat quitter who was never going to be a D-1 QB. Injury prone, weak arm, not too savvy at play execution---the Dodge era--a total failure for UNT

DG, I might have agreed with that assessment about a year ago, but after Canales fully took over I saw a Riley that I hadn't seen before. Anyone who plays with a broken wrist, with such intensity, after suffering many other injuries is a real special athlete in my book.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

DG, I might have agreed with that assessment about a year ago, but after Canales fully took over I saw a Riley that I hadn't seen before. Anyone who plays with a broken wrist, with such intensity, after suffering many other injuries is a real special athlete in my book.

I agree 100%. He laid it all out there for this university

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is he is ok not being the QB, as long as Dad was the coach.

Daily on Dodge Firing

“I love it here, I want to play football here,” Riley Dodge said. “Everyone thinks that because my dad is gone that I’m going to tuck my tail between my ass and run away. I’m dedicated to this university and to my teammates.”

I still have a lot of respect for him during his time here, but how this has finished takes a little shine off

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I love getting info and good discussion from message boards but HATE that some people use their anonymity to act like fools. Shaft, DallasGreen, Adub, MeanGreenBob wouldn't dare speak about or to someone the way they phrase their comments here. Sad, just sad.

If you're goal was to get me offsides consider it a success. But YOU are 'incredibly weak.' Not Riley.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I love getting info and good discussion from message boards but HATE that some people use their anonymity to act like fools. Shaft, DallasGreen, Adub, MeanGreenBob wouldn't dare speak about or to someone the way they phrase their comments here. Sad, just sad.

If you're goal was to get me offsides consider it a success. But YOU are 'incredibly weak.' Not Riley.

I simply asked a question. I never said anything about Riley, his dedication or talent while here. Why don't you answer my question instead of attacking me? Just asking.

• Downvote 1

Honestly, this is what everyone expected him to do AS SOON as his Dad was fired. The fact that he came out so strongly loyal to the university and his teammates is what makes this sting now. That and the fact that this leaves us SO thin at QB....again....for like the 6th or 7th year in a row.

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is he is ok not being the QB, as long as Dad was the coach.

Daily on Dodge Firing

I still have a lot of respect for him during his time here, but how this has finished takes a little shine off

Well said. I meant to give you a plus but hit the minus sign. Sorry.

I don't agree with the tenor that any of those used and I don't know three of the posters but DallasGreen is one of our very staunchest supporters and he "tells it like (he thinks) it is" whether in person or on this board. It doesn't mean that I agree with him (in this case I don't) but in his case he has certainly earned the right to his opinion. He is one of our larger donors and attends almost every function.

I simply asked a question. I never said anything about Riley, his dedication or talent while here. Why don't you answer my question instead of attacking me? Just asking.

I didn't read that as a question. Some people seem to be so offended by one or two students who decided UNT wasn't the best place for them. Sure, they were given scholarships while they were here but they also played their tails off while under scholarship.

I didn't read that as a question. Some people seem to be so offended by one or two students who decided UNT wasn't the best place for them. Sure, they were given scholarships while they were here but they also played their tails off while under scholarship.

Well in your defense, I did fail to put a question mark after the question. I went ahead an added it.

Edited by meangreenbob

Cannot blame Riley for leaving. He did play exceptionally well the last five games this season compared to his previous stints at QB especially taking into consideration the mixed feelings he certainly felt about his dad losing his job but still having pride for himself and not wanting to let his teammates down. He did all that he could do and we need to be thankful for that. However, going forward i think this is the best move for him and UNT. I know how thin we are at the QB position but i know how competitive Derek Thompson is and im sure Brent Osburn is and they will raise the level of play at the QB position and there is no way we will see the same kind of injury bug hit at this position this coming season. We are heading in the right direction!

• Upvote 1

Daily on Dodge Firing

I thought I had read a quote by RD something like that.

What a disaster the last four years were. The coach that was supposedly so good at developing QB's and what do we have on the roster now? Unreal.

• Upvote 1