So Long To The Mean Green Club Deck?

FirefightnRick

This was hard for me to believe, but I'm just curious how many of you knew that one of the best features of the Stadium/AC Center, the massive deck over looking the South Endzone that most of us thought would be the natural new location of the Mean Green Club Deck, will not be used?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

This was hard for me to believe, but I'm just curious how many of you knew that one of the best features of the Stadium/AC Center, the massive deck over looking the South Endzone that most of us thought would be the natural new location of the Mean Green Club Deck, will not be used?

Rick

I did not know this. Any reasons given or idea what the deal is?

Rick

I heard this several months ago. Although the deck has a nice view of the stadium now, some of it will become blocked by the new scoreboard/videoboard to be placed directly in front of it. Plus the lower, fixed advertising boards now being installed on either side of the endzone will block the view of the playing field from the deck.

It would be difficult to ticket fans entrance/exit onto the deck since it is actually part of the A/C building; they wanted to keep all fans coming into the stadium using stadium entrances. In short, the club level is basically the replacement for the deck.

I do think the MG Club for less than club-level members should still have some value added for their membership/donation besides just seating priority. Perhaps a newsletter, meet&greet with coaches, comp beverage and food coupons, regular meetings :rolleyes: , etc.?

Edited by NT80

I did not know this. Any reasons given or idea what the deal is?

Yes, they want to encourage people to solely access the Mean Green Club Level by purchasing Club Level Seating. This prices out a lot of folks who enjoyed meeting up with friends and family before the game.

Plus, the video board will supposedly be blocking the view of the deck.........and the coaches offices, from the stadium. The video board location has been changed from the North Endzone to the South so that the few people sitting in the Wing section wont have to turn around to check the score or watch a replay. So to accomodate them, one of the best features I thought we had for recruiting folks into the Mean Green Club and to wow recruits and visitors as they visit the AC Center, won't be a feature at all.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

It would be difficult to ticket fans entrance/exit onto the deck since it is actually part of the A/C building;

There are doors accessing the deck from the AC Center and stairs leading up to it from the stadium floor. There would be plenty of easy options for the Deck to have accessibility to people who had already entered the stadium/seating area with a purchased ticket. Wouldn't be a problem.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Yes, they want to encourage people to solely access the Mean Green Club Level by purchasing Club Level Seating. This prices out a lot of folks who enjoyed meeting up with friends and family before the game.

Plus, the video board will supposedly be blocking the view of the deck.........and the coaches offices, from the stadium. The video board location has been changed from the North Endzone to the South so that the few people sitting in the Wing section wont have to turn around to check the score or watch a replay. So to accomodate them, one of the best features I thought we had for recruiting folks into the Mean Green Club and to wow recruits and visitors as they visit the AC Center, won't be a feature at all.

Rick

I think there was also a cost savings for moving the scoreboard to the south endzone AC site (someone said a few hundred thousand $$?). Perhaps someyear we can extend the deck to around in front of the scoreboard for viewing the field.

• Downvote 1

I heard this several months ago. Although the deck has a nice view of the stadium now, some of it will become blocked by the new scoreboard/videoboard to be placed directly in front of it. Plus the lower, fixed advertising boards now being installed on either side of the endzone will block the view of the playing field from the deck.

It would be difficult to ticket fans entrance/exit onto the deck since it is actually part of the A/C building; they wanted to keep all fans coming into the stadium using stadium entrances. In short, the club level is basically the replacement for the deck.

I do think the MG Club for less than club-level members should still have some value added for their membership/donation besides just seating priority. Perhaps a newsletter, meet&greet with coaches, comp beverage and food coupons, regular meetings :rolleyes: , etc.?

Sounds like some bad planning. Why build a deck that will have limited use. I would have thought RV would have worked it in some how if for no other reason than he could claim another 500 to 1000 in capacity. By the way is NT every going to announce what the seating capacity of the stadium is, if they are selling tickets they have to know? Not interested in how many can be crammed in Jerry Jones' style, but what is the actual seating capacity.

Rick

When I first learned of this I was extremely disappointed. I get the whole thing of incentivizing people into the club seats, that's fine, but I don't get ruining what was once billed as the "Touchdown Terrace" by obstructing it with the video scoreboard. Even if not used for the same purposes as the deck was used at Fouts, it at least was a valuable asset that could be used to host other groups, events, etc. that would have provided a great setting and view of the field.

At some point, once the club level seats were sold out they might have been able to resurrect the "MG Club Deck" at this spot to further incentivize current and future MG Club members.

Now, the AC which was designed to be the end-zone complex, and this valuable terrace will be obstructed by the scoreboard - when the scoreboard should have been over the wing zone as originally planned. Not sure what the actual, and maybe shortsighed reasoning behind that change was.

Having said all of that, I'm just happy we have a great new stadium opening up and will greatly enjoy and appreciate it one way or the other. But like you, I was surprised when I learned of this as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick

The reason I was told that the video board location will be at the south end is that there is an agreement with the adjoining homeowners not to project any sound from the stadium to the south after 6:00 p.m. Since some of the games don't start until 6.00 or 6:30, it wasn't really possible to meet that requirement without pointing the video board, which, I suppose, incorporates audio, towards the north from the south end of the stadium.

I had also heard this months ago. I don't see it as a huge loss for recruiting, future events, etc... when I would expect the club level space to be utilized for these purposes. Just part of the price of getting a new stadium. Was the deck really that big of a draw? I was down there a couple of times, and all I wanted to do was head back to my seats due to the bad viewing angle and being surrounded by a crowd that wasn't really interested in watching the game.

• Upvote 1

At MGC Rep training, someone said that RV wanted people in there seats during the game rather than hanging out in a party deck. (paraphrasing). Regarding the "few" people sitting in the wing zone, let's wait and see. The view from the end zone at the new stadium will be much better than from Fouts, obviously. Moving the family pack seats to the end zone will draw more folks there. Increases in attendance will draw more there also. With that section being right on top of the end zone, it's my hope that we have a lot of rowdy fans that like to sit there and make a lot of noise when opposing teams are trying to score at that end.

I'm a MGC member and don't have a problem with getting rid of the deck. I go for the product on the field and look forward to the upcoming improvements in that product. They haven't announced the MGC benefits for the upcoming year, so maybe there will be other perks we didn't have before.

I also think moving the scoreboard to the South was the right thing to do.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 5

. Was the deck really that big of a draw? .

Yes, it was a huge draw and a great, affordable place to stop in on your way to meet up with family and friends and get a bite to eat before heading to your seats. My roommate and I took three different guests there this year alone who, because of the great hospitality they were shown, are now interested in purchasing season tickets.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

Well, there will be a great place to meet and greet as Mean Green Club members before the game...it will the Alumni Pavilion being built. The Pavilion will have "beverages", big screen tv's etc. No, you would not be able to see the game from the Alumni Pavillion, but it will make for a great meeting place before the games, etc. All one has to do is be a member of the UNT Alumni Association and that will gain you entrance...and, i have been told guests will be allowed to accompany members, but in a limited number. You might want to consider joining the Alumni Association if you have not already done so.

I was aware there would not be a "deck" at the new stadium from the very beginning and am surprised that everyone did not already know that. I am on board with RV wanting folks in their seats for the game and not hanging out in the deck. While my wife and I definitely enjoyed the deck and went there for every home game, I understand the reasons why there will not be such a spot in the new stadium. Folks, the new stadium will be a "change" from the experience at Fouts...a good one...but, it will definitely take some getting used to. Let's all try to give it a "run through" and a "trial run" before we start finding fault in its set-up and or operations. The Athletic Dept. will tweak things as time goes on...please PLEASE do not expect it to be PERFECT the first time you set foot in the place. Remember, even "Jerry World" took some tweaking after opening to get things to run even somewhat smoothly.

It's a change for all of us...a good one indeed...but a change. Some folks need more time than others to adjust to change. Let's give it some time. And, be sure and join the UNT Alumni Assoc. (did you know that you do not have had to graduate from UNT to be a member of the Alumni Assoc.? It's true...call and ask if you don't believe me) or renew your membership so you and your guests will have access to the new Alumni Pavilion at the stadium.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

I knew there wasn't going to be a deck and I've not liked it one bit. This was a benefit for MGC members that only required the minimum donation. Now it is replaced by the Club, which requires at least a $3,125 gift per seat ($6250 for me and my wife), PLUS the $500 annual donation, PLUS buying your seat tickets. I really feel this was shortsighted. If we were a big-time school building a new stadium, OK sure go ahead and do it because you KNOW you are going to sell out those seats.

I get the feeling the club level sales are not going as well as they had hoped. The latest email says "over 1/3 have been sold." That's about 250 seats with 500 to go. I wonder if that's why they suddenly created the volunteer rep program?

When the club level prices came out, it didn't take long for the wife and I to decide against the seats. It was just too long a commitment at too high a price... basically a car payment for 5 years for something that will only be used about 18 hours a year. You can't price out your loyal fans when you have failed to ever sell out a football game. I think the club level donations should have been half the current requirement, or two seats for the same amount. But that's fine. I will get my lower bowl tickets and bring in a flask and enjoy the company around me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm sorry guys. I can't resist. I have to get in a good natured rib.

So I'm amused that the biggest supporters of letting the free market determine the allocation of resources are suddenly miffed when they get priced out of their entitlements (the deck).

OK. Really. Just a friendly jab on that. I did the math on those club seats, and I too fail to see the value in them. (Although I'm probably going to get pummeled for saying that, because I'm supposed to see it as a contribution to the educational opportunities of the underprivileged et al).

Anyhoo, one has to wonder about the people in their seats during the game strategy. I question if more people will physically leave the stadium periodically to refill their, um, spirits rather than taking a short walk down to the deck. I've also got to say that I always had a soft spot for the view of several hundred people hanging out on the deck during a game. It looked really cool to me.

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry guys. I can't resist. I have to get in a good natured rib.

So I'm amused that the biggest supporters of letting the free market determine the allocation of resources are suddenly miffed when they get priced out of their entitlements (the deck).

I know you were just jabbing, but you make a very valid point.

How long have we asked for the AD to get there act together and act like a major college football program? Now that the new stadium is here, people are griping because the cheap value of UNT football is going away? Come on, folks, you can't have it both ways. I know many will be priced out of the club seats. If the ONLY reason you were in the MGC was the patio, then you will drop out of the MGC anyways. For others, use the Alumni pavillion as a replacement. Yes, it isn't in the stadium, but you should really be in your seats watc hing the game, anyway.

• Upvote 3

Rick

Agree...UNT fans and the students who approved the referendum were I'm sure polled on this, too, right (which would be a first)? Who on campus is the go-to guy on these kind of not so small decisions?

Surely not an $80 million PEB olympic sized type boo-boo of major proportions we're working on up there. A few interviewed on the MGRN have already suggested its "smallness" already but we knew that would come.

The PEB olympic sized swimming pool which became an expensive pink elephant because it was one foot shy of olympic size and that made it virtually un-usable for projected varsity competition. Sometimes--not all times, but school folks just ain't the best business folks or construction experts, either; but like many of our present Congress, they seem to sometimes do what they pretty well damn please forgetting the ones who will pay for their projects (and sometimes goof ups--like in....the taxpayers and in North Texas case for this stadium--our students who are the ones who got this project going in the first place.

The deck if the scoreboard is placed there to loom over it would have basically been a waste of monies, a wasted concept for what we were told it would be for and a whole lot of concrete and steel which could have been used elswhere. On this veranda they hosted Chamber mixers and other community groups who were meeting there, too. So in the future they meet there and look up to see the steel girders backside of a scoreboard? Heck, why don't they just build a warehouse where the deck is located or put a bunch of storage buildings there, too...that would be very nice for our fans to get to look at the next 50 years.

Thy need to build that scoreboard just where all the renderings show it will be built. And please, no more bait and switch deals at our alma mater. .02

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 4

To bad the scoreboard will block the view of the athletic center. I guess it will??

To me, the worst part of this news is the viewing of the stadium from the offices. I thought that was going to be real nice for coaches/admin.

I could care less about those whining about the deck. It's really just something to whine about when there's nothing on the field to complain about.