Is Riley Dodge "back" To Being A Q-Back?

El Paso Eagle

Is Riley back to being a "Quarterback" or when the injured players return does he go back to receiver? I know things could change based on the coaching situation, but what position do you think is in Riley's future? :unsure:

Not on topic, but Tune was dressed up in uniform last game.

I feel better with Riley at QB under Canales than I did with Riley at QB under Dodge. I saw him Saturday night and he did all he could with 14 or 15 Trojans rushing every play.

Agree 164%. Whatever it is that Canales has done, it's gotten two wins with Riley at the helm. He knows Riley's strengths and weaknesses and is preparing game plans that make Riley competitive.

Best of all, though, Canales seems to grasp overall where the majority of talent lies in this thing and is getting it to respond.

I've said before, I don't care if we win running the ball or throwing the ball. Apparently, Canales doesn't either.

Surprised no one mentioned the passes to tight ends against Troy as well.

Riley is a warrior and I am thrilled that he is now our 3rd string QB in an emergency. But, I really miss the occassional shots that we took downfield with Tune and Thompson. I am pretty sure that Troy was creeping up to the line during the last game. I would love to have seen what our running game could have done if we had the threat of stretching the field.

If Riley's arm was healthy (or stronger if that is the problem), then I would love him as our 1st string QB.

Guest MeanGreenHomer

I have confidence with Riley, I have always liked him, but going into next year if he loses out to Thompson or if Tune returns I would be ok with that. Altough, nothing can beat the guts and heart that Riley has.

Agree 100-percent. I think if Riley plays well and UNT can beat Middle and ULM, he should be looked at as the favorite to start next year.

• Upvote 1

Riley has been the most abused player by fans I can remember in the last five years. People demanded perfection out of him when he was a freshman. He gains experience with each game. He was incredible and smart with Troy and has the intangibles to make us a winner. He wanted to be the catalyst to turn our football program around and he may be able to do it yet.

• Upvote 7

It seems to me that he is maturing with every game and cutting down on his mistakes that use to haunt him, mainly INT's. If I am not mistaking, he has not thrown a pick in his last two games. If he can keep controlling the ball then I think he could do good things for UNT for the remainder of this season and next season.

Guest MeanGreenHomer

It seems to me that he is maturing with every game and cutting down on his mistakes that use to haunt him, mainly INT's. If I am not mistaking, he has not thrown a pick in his last two games. If he can keep controlling the ball then I think he could do good things for UNT for the remainder of this season and next season.

He has not thrown a pick in the last two games, and the one he threw in the Lafayette game hit the receiver right in the hands. I love the 7-2 touchdown-interception ratio.

• Upvote 1

I think part of the problem was the father son deal....I think parents of today (even GOOD PARENTS) tend to see their kids as little versions of themselves.....except they see the kids as little versions of their ADULT SELVES instead of litter versions of what they were like at that age....so they think they are "in their kids head" when the reality is they are projecting adult thoughts into what they think a kid is thinking

I also happen to think today's kids are much softer than kids of the past....anyone Todges age or older can look back to when houses in many parts of Texas did not have AC or they had AC that barely worked.....and cars needed to stop for radiator water sometimes every couple of hours on a long trip so when you went on a trip you had a chance to face some adversity even before you got to your destination and had your fun much less on the way back....teachers swatted, many families had a single car, many more kids and families were still on farms, and people did not live as long......by the time you were a college QBs age you had the strong possibility of having gone through a pretty hard working life that made you physically and mentally tough.....today's kids.....18yos having a tantrum because the Wii screwed up......I am not calling Riley out specifically and I would be 99% sure he is as good a kid and as mentally tough as any kid his age there is today

but put it like this......who would you pick in a street fight.....Tre Newton or an 18yo Big Nute.....Big Nute would have Tre crapping his pants from seeing his shadow....and it is not an income thing either......it is just that kids in the past had chores, grand parents often lived closer, and died younger, there was just a lot more things in the past that were tougher even 30 years ago that made kids grow up and be mentally tougher by the time they were college age......and there is IMO a tendency for today's adults to not see that in kids especially theirs because even parents that specifically try and not spoil their kids will probably have kids that have much more comforts and a lot less adversity than they did as a kid

kids just don't mentally mature as fast or early as the past and it is hard for some especially some coaches to see this and I think the father son relationship magnifies that

IMO that was what Todge was saying when he said he would not have Riley play for him.....because I am sure Todge is thinking he raised a disciplined kid, a kid that had respect, worked for things, earned things, and had less handed to him especially VS some of his friends.....and I would bet all of that is 100% true.....but I would imagine Riley did not have it nearly as tough growing up as Todd did even if Todd had a good life growing up as well.....because things were tougher in the past....even in the good old USA

Edited by TodgeRodge

I think part of the problem was the father son deal....I think parents of today (even GOOD PARENTS) tend to see their kids as little versions of themselves.....except they see the kids as little versions of their ADULT SELVES instead of litter versions of what they were like at that age....so they think they are "in their kids head" when the reality is they are projecting adult thoughts into what they think a kid is thinking

I also happen to think today's kids are much softer than kids of the past....anyone Todges age or older can look back to when houses in many parts of Texas did not have AC or they had AC that barely worked.....and cars needed to stop for radiator water sometimes every couple of hours on a long trip so when you went on a trip you had a chance to face some adversity even before you got to your destination and had your fun much less on the way back....teachers swatted, many families had a single car, many more kids and families were still on farms, and people did not live as long......by the time you were a college QBs age you had the strong possibility of having gone through a pretty hard working life that made you physically and mentally tough.....today's kids.....18yos having a tantrum because the Wii screwed up......I am not calling Riley out specifically and I would be 99% sure he is as good a kid and as mentally tough as any kid his age there is today

but put it like this......who would you pick in a street fight.....Tre Newton or an 18yo Big Nute.....Big Nute would have Tre crapping his pants from seeing his shadow....and it is not an income thing either......it is just that kids in the past had chores, grand parents often lived closer, and died younger, there was just a lot more things in the past that were tougher even 30 years ago that made kids grow up and be mentally tougher by the time they were college age......and there is IMO a tendency for today's adults to not see that in kids especially theirs because even parents that specifically try and not spoil their kids will probably have kids that have much more comforts and a lot less adversity than they did as a kid

kids just don't mentally mature as fast or early as the past and it is hard for some especially some coaches to see this and I think the father son relationship magnifies that

IMO that was what Todge was saying when he said he would not have Riley play for him.....because I am sure Todge is thinking he raised a disciplined kid, a kid that had respect, worked for things, earned things, and had less handed to him especially VS some of his friends.....and I would bet all of that is 100% true.....but I would imagine Riley did not have it nearly as tough growing up as Todd did even if Todd had a good life growing up as well.....because things were tougher in the past....even in the good old USA

I don't know about all of that. I do know that Riley's dad (and Todd Ford) couldn't seem to get out of him the same type of play Canales is getting out of him - efficient, error-free football.

He's got talent. As shifty as he is, I'd still like to see him return kicks and punts someday.

I don't know about all of that. I do know that Riley's dad (and Todd Ford) couldn't seem to get out of him the same type of play Canales is getting out of him - efficient, error-free football.

He's got talent. As shifty as he is, I'd still like to see him return kicks and punts someday.

The shifty part ok, but do you really think it is a good idea to let other guys get up a head of steam over 30-40 yards before they hit Riley?

I think Riley might really come into his own now that he is out from under his father. Nothing against Todd, but the added pressure of being "the coach's son" is tough. Not only was Riley trying to win games, lead the team, etc... but he also knew in the back of his mind that the results could affect his father's employment.

• Upvote 1

I think Riley might really come into his own now that he is out from under his father. Nothing against Todd, but the added pressure of being "the coach's son" is tough. Not only was Riley trying to win games, lead the team, etc... but he also knew in the back of his mind that the results could affect his father's employment.

+1

I can strongly gagree with this as well

Agreed...last week his completion ratio in the first half was "not so good", improved in 2nd half...still not so good, but all in all he did a pretty good job...he has character and is a fighter...I like. Canales seems to be able to get real performance out of RD, vs last year, where he was terrible...way too many turnovers. So far, so good...like canales, we will wait and see!

Riley is a fighter and I'm very happy to see him performing so well. I want the starting job to go to the best healthy QB. If that is Riley, fine. If that is Tune, fine. This year and next.

Riley has shown lots of growth, esepcially through what must be a tough time for him. I hope to see it continue.