We Luv' The Mean Green! But....who Is Your 2'nd College T

PlummMeanGreen

Actually there is another facet to this I didn't consider when I initially posted...

There are 4 teams that, while I don't actively follow them or anything, I refuse to root against...

Army, Navy, Air Force and Marshall...

I cannot and will not root against a service academy for any reason...

And I have a huge soft spot for Marshall because of the tragedy they endured in the 1970's and the great job they did bringing their program back to national relevance...

When any of these teams plays UNT or UTEP will always want UNT and UTEP to win, but I will never actively root against them...

You having a bad day, young gunner?

Don't like the thread--don't read the thread. Duh?

KMA!

Plumm, I've been enjoying your efforts to steer things in a more cheerful direction than we have gone lately, but I disagree with your judgment on UNT90's post. Although, I do not tend to use language as colorful as his, my opinion is the same as his, and I for one, find it commendable to only "root" for UNT. I feel that way because I found a college "home" there after trying Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, serving a tour in the Army, and thinking about UT Austin enough to go down there in time to register (but didn't). And that's not to say anything bad about UT Austin, now or back then in the 1970's, just that it wasn't my "thang". I'll always have the feeling, as a woman where I work once expressed, that Denton always "seemed like a friendly" place. Honestly, she's quite a friendly person, at times having stopped her car in the middle of the street in downtown Dallas to see if I want a ride the rest of the way to work (I always decline, considering that walk from the train station to the office to be my most regular exercise).

Do I wish we were doing better in football right now? Sure, and I KNOW we will do better in the future, because we tend to learn from our mistakes. Maybe that's why other institutions seem to do better at times, because they have learned from mistakes that the more "edgy" places like North Texas make. What makes North Texas unique? Maybe it's like my wife, BYU ex that she is, saying that what she feels at North Texas is that there's a place where she knows the arts will never take a back seat. Some may think that sounds a bit lame, but what is art but an expression of the creative spirit? Just think of the recently departed Leon Breeden, who came to North Texas from teaching at TCU and Grand Prairie High School, never earning more than a master's degree, but creating an academic discipline of jazz, which basically took collegiate music from regurgitation of the classics to the creation of works by the students themselves, and along the way spreading the message about North Texas (yes, among music lovers those two words are spoken with reverence everywhere mentioned) throughout the world, including (at the time) the Communist Soviet Union. As far as football, what would be the state of the high school (and college) marching band in Texas and elsewhere if not for the large number of music educators turned out by UNT?

For lesser known examples, what about O'Neil Ford, the architect for whom the first endowed chair of Architecture at the University of Texas was named? He got his start by studying drafting at then North Texas State from 1924-1926 (although famously only getting a correspondence degree in Architecture)? What would architecture around Denton and the State of Texas (especially San Antonio) be without him? What about Dr. Terry Jordan, one of my first geography teachers at North Texas, who invented the modern methods of studying cultural geography and its spread as evidenced by material culture? He was then hired away by UT Austin, to have the Walter Prescott Webb (preemminent historian of the American West) endowed chair moved from their history department to geography so as to lure him away.Who else but he to explain how cowboying as we know it came to be? Larry McMurtrey, the UNT graduate? Hired away as a graduate assistant at Rice.

Not that I don't respect those fine institutions such as Texas and Rice for their academic and athletic achievements, but too often they have simply lured our best with big money and a big name. But did they really foster that creative spark of those individuals in their own house? Not in my opinion. They simply went out, found talent in it's full bloom that had been nurtured at UNT in Denton, and gave it a bigger stage. Good for them. But it's on us if we don't use this Forum to toot our own horn and to let the world know of what has transpired here and what the future is bringing. Oh, and another hats off to Leon Breeden, to develop what he did and live out his career in Denton, showcasing us to the World.

What do I think of Denton and North Texas? To paraphrase my wife, a place where the creative drive never takes a back seat. And go Mean Green football; all others know that you are merely entertainment for me.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1. Mean Green by far.

2. Texas Longhorns

2a. Any Texas team playing Oklahoma, LSU, or any other neighboring big boy. If it's not a Texas team, then I don't really care (Tech is low on the bar though)

3. Any of the Belt teams

4. Anyone playing against Oklahoma

4a. Anyone playing against SMU(or really any other school that we could be competing with for recruits)

My second colleges are quite a bit below North Texas now but at one time I followed them closely.

UT - My oldest daughter has a degree from there (North Texas doesn't offer pharmacy) and I was really a fan until '88. After the robbery at Austin, my respect for them fell a lot.

SMU - Yes, SMU. I was a couple of years behind Doak Walker and admired what he was able to accomplish with his gift. It was a gift because he didn't really have size or speed, just ability. Later, Don Meredith was another folk hero and kept my interest up. They dropped like a rock in my esteem after the death penalty but that was due to a few individuals, not the entire university. It seems to me that most of the snobbery developed after the scandal.

LSU - Although I was born in Texas (Port Arthur), I spent most of my adolescent years in Louisiana (DeRidder...same home town as Johnny Jones). LSU was Louisiana education (and football) so it was a natural for me that I aspired to go there. I had an aunt in Denton (husband taught at TWU) and fell in love with the place after visiting there and my passion for LSU vanished.

Edited by GrayEagle

1. Mean Green by far.

2. Texas Longhorns

2a. Any Texas team playing Oklahoma, LSU, or any other neighboring big boy. If it's not a Texas team, then I don't really care (Tech is low on the bar though)

3. Any of the Belt teams

4. Anyone playing against Oklahoma

4a. Anyone playing against SMU(or really any other school that we could be competing with for recruits)

This plus anyone playing Notre Dame.

Plumm, I've been enjoying your efforts to steer things in a more cheerful direction than we have gone lately, but I disagree with your judgment on UNT90's post. Although, I do not tend to use language as colorful as his, my opinion is the same as his, and I for one, find it commendable to only "root" for UNT. I feel that way because I found a college "home" there after trying Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, serving a tour in the Army, and thinking about UT Austin enough to go down there in time to register (but didn't). And that's not to say anything bad about UT Austin, now or back then in the 1970's, just that it wasn't my "thang". I'll always have the feeling, as a woman where I work once expressed, that Denton always "seemed like a friendly" place. Honestly, she's quite a friendly person, at times having stopped her car in the middle of the street in downtown Dallas to see if I want a ride the rest of the way to work (I always decline, considering that walk from the train station to the office to be my most regular exercise).

Do I wish we were doing better in football right now? Sure, and I KNOW we will do better in the future, because we tend to learn from our mistakes. Maybe that's why other institutions seem to do better at times, because they have learned from mistakes that the more "edgy" places like North Texas make. What makes North Texas unique? Maybe it's like my wife, BYU ex that she is, saying that what she feels at North Texas is that there's a place where she knows the arts will never take a back seat. Some may think that sounds a bit lame, but what is art but an expression of the creative spirit? Just think of the recently departed Leon Breeden, who came to North Texas from teaching at TCU and Grand Prairie High School, never earning more than a master's degree, but creating an academic discipline of jazz, which basically took collegiate music from regurgitation of the classics to the creation of works by the students themselves, and along the way spreading the message about North Texas (yes, among music lovers those two words are spoken with reverence everywhere mentioned) throughout the world, including (at the time) the Communist Soviet Union. As far as football, what would be the state of the high school (and college) marching band in Texas and elsewhere if not for the large number of music educators turned out by UNT?

For lesser known examples, what about O'Neil Ford, the architect for whom the first endowed chair of Architecture at the University of Texas was named? He got his start by studying drafting at then North Texas State from 1924-1926 (although famously only getting a correspondence degree in Architecture)? What would architecture around Denton and the State of Texas (especially San Antonio) be without him? What about Dr. Terry Jordan, one of my first geography teachers at North Texas, who invented the modern methods of studying cultural geography and its spread as evidenced by material culture? He was then hired away by UT Austin, to have the Walter Prescott Webb (preemminent historian of the American West) endowed chair moved from their history department to geography so as to lure him away.Who else but he to explain how cowboying as we know it came to be? Larry McMurtrey, the UNT graduate? Hired away as a graduate assistant at Rice.

Not that I don't respect those fine institutions such as Texas and Rice for their academic and athletic achievements, but too often they have simply lured our best with big money and a big name. But did they really foster that creative spark of those individuals in their own house? Not in my opinion. They simply went out, found talent in it's full bloom that had been nurtured at UNT in Denton, and gave it a bigger stage. Good for them. But it's on us if we don't use this Forum to toot our own horn and to let the world know of what has transpired here and what the future is bringing. Oh, and another hats off to Leon Breeden, to develop what he did and live out his career in Denton, showcasing us to the World.

What do I think of Denton and North Texas? To paraphrase my wife, a place where the creative drive never takes a back seat. And go Mean Green football; all others know that you are merely entertainment for me.

:thumbsup: Enjoyed reading your post, eulessismore. Yes, myself and a few others have tried to bring in some different topics in light of this season and sometimes the thread subjects have been (admittedly) quite a stretch,:) but we can only post so much on the same things. Yesterday was a slow post day for GMG.com albeit many were I'm sure reading

On that other thing? :rolleyes: To quote another fellow alum, "A hardy handful of GMG.com posters sometimes takes on KTCK 1310 The Ticket'esque attitude of Gordon Keith and "The Cobra" with the irreverent to the far side responses. We all get off topic from time to time but with me, there are just some threads I don't read because the subject may not interest me? So I don't go on said thread and try to destroy the spirit of the thread with something funky or rude or, uh, Ticket'esqe?

No biggie with short fused tempers many of us may have from time to time since we all seem to get over such trite or trivial things fairly quickly, but we're all a bit testy with this 3 plus decade "mostly losing" football program. All I have to hang my hat that was of an upward bound (Top 20 & Tennessee among other upward accomplishments) nature took place when I was a student and that has become ancient history even to me. Those before me had Mean Joe Greene and the great Abner Haynes...

...we are really over-due a whole bunch of winning in Denton and the new stadium has re-invigorated this alum among others because can you imagine what we'd all be talking about now if there were no plans for a new stadium at all? :ph34r: (It would be quite bleak to say the least).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

:thumbsup: Enjoyed reading your post, eulessismore. Yes, myself and a few others have tried to bring in some different topics in light of this season and sometimes the thread subjects have been (admittedly) quite a stretch,:) but we can only post so much on the same things. Yesterday was a slow post day for GMG.com albeit many were I'm sure reading

On that other thing? :rolleyes: To quote another fellow alum, "A hardy handful of GMG.com posters sometimes takes on KTCK 1310 The Ticket'esque attitude of Gordon Keith and "The Cobra" with the irreverent to the far side responses. We all get off topic from time to time but with me, there are just some threads I don't read because the subject may not interest me? So I don't go on said thread and try to destroy the spirit of the thread with something funky or rude or, uh, Ticket'esqe?

No biggie with short fused tempers many of us may have from time to time since we all seem to get over such trite or trivial things fairly quickly, but we're all a bit testy with this 3 plus decade "mostly losing" football program. All I have to hang my hat that was of an upward bound (Top 20 & Tennessee among other upward accomplishments) nature took place when I was a student and that has become ancient history even to me. Those before me had Mean Joe Greene and the great Abner Haynes...

...we are really over-due a whole bunch of winning in Denton and the new stadium has re-invigorated this alum among others because can you imagine what we'd all be talking about now if there were no plans for a new stadium at all? :ph34r: (It would be quite bleak to say the least).

GMG!

So I destroyed the "spirit" of the thread by saying that UNT is the only college rooting interest I had?

I think the highlighted portion is the pot calling the kettle black.

So I destroyed the "spirit" of the thread by saying that UNT is the only college rooting interest I had?

I think the highlighted portion is the pot calling the kettle black.

I mentioned no names because this has happened before on threads I had nothing to do with.

UNT90, I was a bit quick with my response to you and for that I apologize.

Yes, testy is a good word for many of us who are ready for, uh, "change we can all believe in?" :rolleyes:

Jim Plummer aka PMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

UT, for basketball and football. Raised that way. Only one in my extended family to not go UT or Ivy League/Ivy Leagueish

Is the self-esteem hit from this why you keep asking us to meet you at bus stops?

• Upvote 3

If I could give you 20 +1's I would...well said. Excellent post, young man!

Pac 10 teams, minus USC and Washington State.

Not sure exactly why, either. I'm a big fan of the places on the west coast I've traveled to, and San Diego is like my 2nd home.

But yeah, I'll root for either Oregon school, UCLA/Cal, Zonas, UW. Maybe its just the style of play that I'm attracted to. I'll never root for OU or SEC teams though.

My wife is an Aggie so I root for A&M as my 2nd team. It is strange because I never thought I could have the same passion for another team but I do for the Aggies. But let's get this straight. If the Aggies played the Mighty Mean Green I would root for the boys in Green all the way.

1. North Texas, undergrad

2. Tulsa, grad school

3. Colleges from cities and states where I have relatives, ex-wives, and former lovers: Various Texas schools, Oklahoma schools, Arkansas schools, Alabama schools, Missouri schools, Houston schools, West Virginia schools, Pennsylvania schools, Florida schools, New Mexico schools, Utah schools, North Carolina schools, Massachusetts schools, etc.

4. Western Michigan and Nebraska.