Riley

emmitt01

I didnt want to add this to the other Riley thread because that thing is a totally wheels off.

I liked what I saw from Riley last night. There, I said it. He used his feet to keep several plays alive, when he took sacks they were ones Michael Vick couldnt have avoided, and he played his heart out. His arm strength is well documented, as are the injuries that contribute to it. Do I think the ball should have been in his hands less? Yes. Do I think that was play calling and totally out of his control? Again, yes. He did what he could with what he had. Zero turnovers. The crucial (should have been) game tying drive kept alive by his feet. A good game in my book.

• Upvote 5

I didnt want to add this to the other Riley thread because that thing is a totally wheels off.

I liked what I saw from Riley last night. There, I said it. He used his feet to keep several plays alive, when he took sacks they were ones Michael Vick couldnt have avoided, and he played his heart out. His arm strength is well documented, as are the injuries that contribute to it. Do I think the ball should have been in his hands less? Yes. Do I think that was play calling and totally out of his control? Again, yes. He did what he could with what he had. Zero turnovers. The crucial (should have been) game tying drive kept alive by his feet. A good game in my book.

Nice post Emmitt. I too thought Riley had a solid game last night.

Riley did throw an interception last night, but he isn't what is wrong with this team.

His interception bounced off the receiver into the hands of the defender... He gets a pass on that one...

Riley played fine last night and was certainly not the problem...

But, if we are going to run a dink and dunk offense that hopes for the big running play then our execution needs to be as close to perfect as possible... And the procedure and holding penalties we saw last night aren't going to cut it...

How anyone can gripe about a kid who is playing out of postition and keeping you in games is beyond me. Some people just aren't very football smart.

Every other legitimate QB on this roster is out for the year, people. This kid took some HUGE shots last night and always came back for more. Showed a lot of heart.

His interception bounced off the receiver into the hands of the defender... He gets a pass on that one...

Maybe, but would you hold it against him if a defender dropped an easy pick? It all evens out in the end. You can't credit him for zero turnovers when there was one pick.

• Downvote 3

That was both the best quarter of football on both sides of the ball that I've seen this team play this year and the most heartbreaking quarter of football I've seen this team play this year. Although the extra point block was brutal, Riley was everything you could ask of him down the stretch. He played within his limits in the throwing game and he kept drives going with his running. Nothing but #upnucks for him from me.

Maybe, but would you hold it against him if a defender dropped an easy pick? It all evens out in the end. You can't credit him for zero turnovers when there was one pick.

I would be more inclined to hold it against him had it resulted in points...

Since the field goal was blocked it was pretty much a non-event...

I was only saying that the interception was not a result of a poorly thrown ball or a misguided decision and really should not be blamed on the QB...

Riley was very good last night, I don't see how people could blame this on anything he did.

I thought we didn't use the run enough, or use the wildcat, Dunbar averaged almost 6 yds a carry.

Anyone else notice how deadly the QB option left/right and then shovel pass back up the middle is? We've scored more than once off that play this year.

I thought Riley played lights out last night. I'm still a Riley fan and between him and Dunbar, they carried this team. Some of those scrambles in the back field kept plays alive to make some excellent gains. You would not have had that with Tune or Thompson. Some of our receivers had some great plays too. It was refreshing to see our O march down the field like they did on that last drive. In the past I would have just started drinking early! lol

I think it would be nice if a group of us Riley supporters went and stood next to him on the sidelines during games... Since his teammates obviously dislike him

What? What gives you that idea or are you just having some fun here?

I though Riley played very well last eveing and was happy to see UNt have such quality in a back-up when called upon to lead. Props to Riley....

Riley was great last night. My heart really goes out to him. He's been thrust into this position due to injuries and lots of bad luck. ...now he has to play for his dad's job? I can't imagine what he's feeling.

I'm proud to have Riley Dodge as a part of the Mean Green Nation!

• Upvote 2

Riley was great last night. My heart really goes out to him. He's been thrust into this position due to injuries and lots of bad luck. ...now he has to play for his dad's job? I can't imagine what he's feeling.

I can tell you what he's not feeling: a snap from under center.

Really feel for these kids; just a bad year so far that will hopefully be the beginning of better things for all of them, regardless of what happens.

• Upvote 1

Guest JohnDenver

+1

I have no more real +1's to give though.

As said before- Riley played his heart out last night. If to get a win for only just one person I think he deserves it. All the injuries, the loss of a friend and then the burden of playing for his fathers job, it must be tough on a 20 year old. Im the same age as him and I could not imagine the pressure he is under. Great job and I hope things turn around for him.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Emmitt, good post! Your never bashful about where you stand, but not so much you cannot hand out a compliment when one is due and deserved.

+1, and I saw him do some things late in the game avoiding a sack that looked impossible. Ever since I saw him play against Euless Trinity when Southlake eventually won state with Riley at QB, I've thought he played with a combination of fire and football smarts. Would I have preferred Tune and/or Thompson had stayed healthy and we had been given the chance to see what they could do? Yes, but Riley's always given it his best shot.