Does The Coaches Deserve Another Year?

ArkansasEagle

Well it is a redundant question as it has been addressed in the "Does Dodge Deserve a Mulligan?" thread, and in several others since the game. Heck, it started after the Rice game. I think there was plenty of gnashing of the teeth in that one so maybe they are just resting today, and the vote on the board seems to be a unanimous no. That said, what do you think Army of Dad and Arkansas Eagle?

I'm shocked that no one has viciously attacked Coach Dodge or Arkansas Eagle for even mentioning this yet.

Maybe everyone left the office early... :whistling1:

I think most have sympathy for TD and co. thus the lack of attacks. I was thinking the same thing as they carted off Tune. Then I realized that if this were the right fit, we would not have come to the ultimatum year. There would have been marked improvment already. There is no reason to attack. This thing just does not look as though it is the way to continue.

If this team won 6 that would be a good coaching job in light of injuries and then (IMHO) there would be a need for a complete re-evaluation on the 7 goal. 6 wins now would be a miracle. Right this moment 0 & 6 looks more realistic than any other scenarios I've seen. This whole thing is just so damn sad for everyone concerned.

GMG!

I was against the whole Dodge thing from the start. I thought it was a bad idea, but hoped I would be wrong. I did think he would be good for recruiting, but wasn't sure if he would have the same success in a program that wasn't the top-tier in funding and talent as he experienced at SLC.

I was so disgusted that I sent my tickets back 2 yrs ago along with an letter expressing my feelings and that he needed to go.

Despite that, I HOPE HE GETS ANOTHER YEAR. I think he needs a chance with the new stadium (for recruiting) and I think the injuries should be considered. However, that all depends on how he manages the team in the face of the adversity. If the team sticks together, then I think that shows that he at least one intangible to offer.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I don't want another 3-4yrs of starting over with a new coach. I'm not as informed as many of you, but I don't see a line of high-quality coaches knocking down the door trying to get the job. Getting a new coach likely means 2-3yrs of adjustments and then what to do if that goes bad. Then we're a revolving door with a great new stadium.

I'm gonna' hold my nose for one more year and hope Dodge shows us something next year. However, that is the last one for me.

• Downvote 2

Dodge didn't deserve this year.

5-34 and 3 of those wins were fcs transitionee Western Kentucky.

I agree. I think whatever (bad?) logic was used to bring him back this year *could* justify one more based on the the injury situation. The real problem is that he was brought back this year.

The point I was trying to make is that we're in this so deep now, that giving it one more year may be worth the gamble (at least until I see real hope of bringing in someone better).

YES

I don't believe there is a coach in the USA who has lost 10 players to injury (most starters) and has had a winning record. I have never seen this number of injuries......will welcome our posters to inform us on this topic.

QB Nathan Tune dislocated hip, Derek Thompson broken leg

Centers JJ Johnson, Nick Leppo

WR Greg Brown, Chris Bynes torn achiled tenden, Benny Jones

DB Steven Ford, DaWaylon Cook,

RB Michael Mosley

I wonder if our fans can raise the money to pay for Dodges contract next year after he is "fired" and at the same time where will the money come from to pay for some of the named high profile coaches posters are suggesting.

OldTimer

YES

I don't believe there is a coach in the USA who has lost 10 players to injury (most starters) and has had a winning record. I have never seen this number of injuries......will welcome our posters to inform us on this topic.

QB Nathan Tune dislocated hip, Derek Thompson broken leg

Centers JJ Johnson, Nick Leppo

WR Greg Brown, Chris Bynes torn achiled tenden, Benny Jones

DB Steven Ford, DaWaylon Cook,

RB Michael Mosley

I wonder if our fans can raise the money to pay for Dodges contract next year after he is "fired" and at the same time where will the money come from to pay for some of the named high profile coaches posters are suggesting.

OldTimer

How bad would we have to get before you would consider bringing in a different coaching staff?

It might seem to me that RV will give the coaches another year if most of these guys get medical redshirts. Any thoughts? I feel for the team since we've had 10 starters out for the season.

It would be a big mistake in my opinion. The wheels were coming off with this team before the injuries took their toll--1. incredibly bad special teams play, stupid and ill-timed mistakes and penalties, 3. poor coaching decisions on crucial downs and 4. a tendency to give up big plays on defense. How would one more year change any of that???????

• Upvote 1

What if instead of always losing football games, Dodge had a problem with pooping his pants? Let's say out of the 39 times you hung out with him, he pooped his pants 34 times. He's a great guy, funny, respectful, and loyal to the end, but always ends up pooping his pants when you're around each other. Would you continue hanging out with him?

This may need its own thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What if instead of always losing football games, Dodge had a problem with pooping his pants? Let's say out of the 39 times you hung out with him, he pooped his pants 34 times. He's a great guy, funny, respectful, and loyal to the end, but always ends up pooping his pants when you're around each other. Would you continue hanging out with him?

This may need its own thread.

I think it may depend...does his poop smell?

I have both a comment and a question....

First, I was all for letting TD finish the season, before deciding his fate. Personally, I would probably be OK with even 5 wins, if the team could somehow show lot of improvement in the remaining season.

However, because of the injuries, this season could easily spirial out of control quickly. The reality is that winning 7 games at this point would take a minor miracle (even 5 might take a masterful coaching/motivation job).

So, I see 4 options for RV at this point.

[1] Let TD finish the season no matter what, then replace him and start an official coaching search.

[2] Try and find a permanent replacement coach ASAP and hire him as soon as things get out of hand DURING the season (if things really go south).

[3] Release TD during the season and replace him with an interim coach (i.e. Canales or DeLoach).

[4] Give TD a mulligan on this season due to the injuries.

If RV goes with #1 and takes his time finding another coach, wouldn't this hurt what is left of this years recruiting ? Or, is it already too late ?

#2 might be an option, but only if RV already has a coach in mind.

Option #3 does not good at all to me, unless we plan on promoting the interim coach to HC in the offseason. You might as well let TD finish things out.

If RV goes with #4, he stands to receive a ton of backlash from most of the NT supporters (based on what I have seen in this forum anyway).

Here is my question. Maybe OldTimer can answer it. What percentage of college players have already given verbal agreements for the next recruiting class ? I am guessing that it is already too late for us to have any major positive impact on the next recruiting class.

I had such high hopes for this season :(

Go Mean Green. I really hope that our kids and coaching staff go down fighting this season.

Edited by akriesman