Does The Coaches Deserve Another Year?

ArkansasEagle

As a quick aside, I can't help but notice that when Mack/Bob play those cards to the media, they are 'hammering' home the expectations, etc that come with the program.

When Dodge plays those cards, he gets blasted for "throwing these kids under the bus" and "not taking responsibility".

But when you have rings on your finger that say National Champs, I guess you can say whatever you want.

Yeah, the first response to your post was right. Stoops has at least eight conference rings and two national titles from Florida and Oklahoma. I think Mack has three rings, two Big 12 titles and the one national title.

The thing is, at places like that, you get kids who stand around on the sideline for two or three seasons watching other guys win titles. Then, when it's their turn, they aren't used to earning it on the field. They don't practice as hard. Don't take the Utah States and Rices of the world seriously enough - then get into early season dogfights.

Stoops and Brown aren't happy about it. They know what they're looking at because they've seen champions at this level.

Dodge? He hasn't proven he can get a group of college kids to win anything close to a title. We don't know if kids slacking off here are his fault or not. Stoops and Brown have more than earned the benefit of the doubt.

Simple as this: Being a HC is like being a CEO. If you cannot produce, you are thrown out the door.

It is time to take all the personal, lovey dovey stuff out of it and go find a new coach who can make it happen. You cannot possibly enter a new season, going into an entirely new stadium, expecting great things with the same ole' song and dance. Here we have an entirely new venue that brings excitement, only to be potentially drowned by the disappointment in the leadership of the team (main attraction). Winning is exciting, losing is what we have now.

Folks, we need a HC that will make men out of boys, ratchet it up in the weight room and practices and kick their tails when they are not performing correctly. TD came in with the High School attitude, told the players they could not cuss, set curfews for them and treated them like High School players. All of this blew up in his face and for the last five years we have seen the product it has turned out. Good players have simply left the program because of this babysitter attitude. Constantly, the other coaches are making excuses for this type of "Leadership". We need a coach with an iron fist and a mouth of a sailor who wants nothing but success through example. Enough of the diapers and baby powder!

Some will talk about how the GPA's have improved, how the players interact more with the fans, etc. but if you get a winning team alot of that stuff simply falls in place. These players are beaten down so bad, the injured one's act as if they could care less about not traveling with the team to away games to even provide support. Don't believe it, drive over to Victory Hall and take one out for a bite to eat. You will become educated quickly, but not surprised in the end!

We need a HC that is atleast proven at the collegiate level. TD simply cannot cut hot butter at this level. He truly has no good interaction with the community on a steady basis, is not seen out in the Denton community except only on the highway burning it up from home to work and back. He lost my support when he failed to seek the continued support of the fans. He has only done the minimal on campus and that was when he was prodded by RV. We need excitement, starting at the student level, then the community. We need fans to be inside of the stadium, not at their tailgating spot watching other teams on tv.

It is a sad day when on Friday nights at Clark Park, a Pep Rally has more Athletic Staff present than Coaches and Players. Simply disgusting. Further, how many thousand students live in the dorms and there is free food and drink to go along with the Rally and we only have a few hundred show up. We have a problem and it all rests on the shoulders of the coach. That is what he gets paid for and the job entails more than simply coaching the team.

Time to kick this thing in high gear and get a coach worth a nickel (and pay him), and get some excitement going. I don't want to hear about what could have been. We see what we got and now it is time to go get the real deal.

Let's cut our losses and move along. Don't make it personal, make it realistic.

• Upvote 4

Do The Coaches Deserve Another Year?

Since there are 10 starters out for the season?

No.

If this disastrous injury filled season had been Dodge's first then I would agree that he deserves a pass.

It's not. This is Dodge's fourth season and he has three horrible seasons already in his portfolio.

• Upvote 1

With the Nineas report still fresh in my mind, I'm watching College Football Saturday on ESPN. They are profiling Boise, TCU and to an extent, SMU. We need to blueprint their success. It can be done and there is NO REASON, except for a lack of committment by the school, community and fans/alumni, that it can't be done. This has been the story from the very beginning for as long as I have been following NT football. As far back as 1989, I don't believe the administration at UNT has ever FULLY committed to athletics at this school. Fans and alumni are starving for a winner, but the pinheads calling the shots (specifically, the chanchellor and the BOR) are a bunch of @ussies who won't do what is necessary. I know, the facilities, including the new stadium, are the work of RV and the students who were/are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

The past seven years have been a real beating and we are the laughing stock of college football. I call on RV and the BOR to "man-up," fire Todd Dodge, and get a proven HC in here who will teach these kids how to win. I can't watch the ineptitude any longer.

• Upvote 1