Tcu Announces $105M Stadium Renovation

MeanGreen61

You're crazy.

Armed Forces Bowl to be played at Ford this year.

Not crazy, just grew up in that stadium. Family went there and my mother works there. I really think the stadium was on par with Fouts before they redid the one side last year (maybe it was 2 years ago) which was more about creating more seats than aesthetics I think. And really that was what I was talking about. Amon has better viewing since they have no track but as far as aesthetics I thought they were equal.

Not crazy, just grew up in that stadium. Family went there and my mother works there. I really think the stadium was on par with Fouts before they redid the one side last year (maybe it was 2 years ago) which was more about creating more seats than aesthetics I think. And really that was what I was talking about. Amon has better viewing since they have no track but as far as aesthetics I thought they were equal.

I cut my college football teeth watching LaDanian roll up 300+ yards on the San Jose States of the world in Amon Carter and could not disagree more. I always thought Amon was a very aesthetically pleasing stadium...but I suppose I do have I like vintage places like Fenway and Cameron Indoor more than shiny and new.

I think these renovations will make AC even more appealing...and I like the "Camden Yards of College Football" moniker being tossed around.

Amon carter was a great stadium with great lines....fouts is and has always been a dump with poor lines...no comparison.

We are going to have a very nice stadium....but TCU's will have much more of a "big time " feel and appeal. Damn those Frogs.

• Downvote 3

I cut my college football teeth watching LaDanian roll up 300+ yards on the San Jose States of the world in Amon Carter and could not disagree more. I always thought Amon was a very aesthetically pleasing stadium...but I suppose I do have I like vintage places like Fenway and Cameron Indoor more than shiny and new.

I think these renovations will make AC even more appealing...and I like the "Camden Yards of College Football" moniker being tossed around.

Basic amenities such as concessions and restrooms are not that much better than Fouts. I think that is one of the things that they can most improve upon for the gameday experience. I've sat in several different places in AC and for the most part there are very few bad seasts.

• Upvote 1

Basic amenities such as concessions and restrooms are not that much better than Fouts. I think that is one of the things that they can most improve upon for the gameday experience. I've sat in several different places in AC and for the most part there are very few bad seasts.

Perhaps...but I've always thought a bathroom is a bathroom and you bring your concessions in in your boot.

Amon carter was a great stadium with great lines....fouts is and has always been a dump with poor lines...no comparison.

We are going to have a very nice stadium....but TCU's will have much more of a "big time " feel and appeal. Damn those Frogs.

No way.

TCU will not have the "Tailfeather/Eagles Wings/Flying V" section, so therefore their stadium will be less "big time".

Also, their stadium is not in Denton on the campus of The University of North Texas, therefore it will always be inferior to ours.

• Upvote 2

I honestly don't understand the logic of that statement. Yes it will have about 8-9k more seats than ours and I guess it may be taller but really it will have a "big time" feel to it is because they are a really big time top 25 program that wins. We start winning and making noise then our stadium will have a "big time" feel to it too. Oh and if I am not mistaken I think Boise States stadium holds about 32-34K so the stadium doesn't matter in this case. It's all about winning.

Edited by Green Mean

That was why I asked about taller. Several thousand of their seats are on that upper deck that no one wants to sit on as it is. Looking at the pics, they'll be pushing a lot of people who would ordinarily sit at the back of the first deck up top. While it's an upgrade for club/suite level people, it's a downgrade for your average joe fan.

Why? There is nothing about UNT's new stadium that isn't first class. You pack the new stadium on game day, and you would have to be dead not to realize it's a "big time" stadium and big time "feel". OK, so it's not Jerry World, but I'd rather watch a game at UNT's new stadium any day than at Jerry World...or in TCU's new stadium for that matter...unless of course UNT was playing there!

GO MEAN GREEN!

The Mean Green Nation takes a back seat to no other team with this new stadium! Can't wait for that first game!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have you seen the current stadium progress in person? I'm assuming not, cause there is nothing going on across the highway that doesn't scream "big time".

• Upvote 2

To me, the big-time part about TCUs funding is that they have no problem doing it. FW wants TCU to be a big-time deal in college athletics, which is sadly very different from Denton's views. The fundraising part may be easier because TCU is private, thus their alumni tend to have deep pocket$, but their FW T-shirt fans are very supportive, too. Back in the early 90s, TCU met with their Circle of 100, which was made up of alumni and leaders within FW and Tarrant County. They became proactive with TCU becoming synonymous with being FW's "hometown team". They even got decent fan turnout when they won one game in 1997. Of course, they hired Franchione away from New Mexico for around $400k per year (back in 1998), which is quite another topic, too, to address, but that really got the ball rolling to where they are now. I just cant see Denton ever backing UNT Athletics like this. UNT Music or Performing Arts might be a different story, but the support that the NCAA Tourney hoops team gets tells us a lot about this whole story.

Edited by untjim1995

To me, the big-time part about TCUs funding is that they have no problem doing it. FW wants TCU to be a big-time deal in college athletics, which is sadly very different from Denton's views. The fundraising part may be easier because TCU is private, thus their alumni tend to have deep pocket$, but their FW T-shirt fans are very supportive, too. Back in the early 90s, TCU met with their Circle of 100, which was made up of alumni and leaders within FW and Tarrant County. They became proactive with TCU becoming synonymous with being FW's "hometown team". They even got decent fan turnout when they won one game in 1997. Of course, they hired Franchione away from New Mexico for around $400k per year (back in 1998), which is quite another topic, too, to address, but that really got the ball rolling to where they are now. I just cant see Denton ever backing UNT Athletics like this. UNT Music or Performing Arts might be a different story, but the support that the NCAA Tourney hoops team gets tells us a lot about this whole story.

I have lived in FW for two years and if I didn't drive near the TCU campus I would never know they existed at all in FW...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have lived in FW for two years and if I didn't drive near the TCU campus I would never know they existed at all in FW...

I think we both have great things going on now, but how can you not notice all the billboards around town? Maybe I'm just looking for them though. Anyways, football season is near and we'll both be playing in different stadiumsnext year (although ours will be a construction zone more than a stadium) so let's make the last year a special one.

P.S. to clear something up, we only added the SEZ suites in. 2008 not rebuilding the east side. The east side is phase 2 of our renovation which will cost between 30 to 50 mil more.

I think we both have great things going on now, but how can you not notice all the billboards around town? Maybe I'm just looking for them though. Anyways, football season is near and we'll both be playing in different stadiumsnext year (although ours will be a construction zone more than a stadium) so let's make the last year a special one.

P.S. to clear something up, we only added the SEZ suites in. 2008 not rebuilding the east side. The east side is phase 2 of our renovation which will cost between 30 to 50 mil more.

I have seen one or two billboards, what I meant was that FW doesn't seem like TCU's town to me. The only place it feels like they have a stronghold is in the part of town where the campus is...

Perhaps...but I've always thought a bathroom is a bathroom and you bring your concessions in in your boot.

Agreed. Can't say I don't enjoy a good Dog/Burger and such, but I've never figured out why some require an executive washroom at a sporting event. As long as I don't have to get anything unpleasant on my boots, a hole in the ground at a sporting venue works fine for me. :lol:

All teams in Texas struggle for attention, even TCU, if they are not in the Big 12. The privates generally are not fan favorites but are able to make up for it with huge checkbooks. It would be nice if NT alums and fans could fork up millions to pay for a stadium and NT would not have to rely on debt primarily backed up by student fees. However, I think that NT has at long last taken that big step that should led to better support. There are always going to be other schools that build bigger and better, but the important thing is that NT position themselves as an university that is growing athletes.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Have you seen the current stadium progress in person? I'm assuming not, cause there is nothing going on across the highway that doesn't scream "big time".

but TCU's will have much more of a "big time " feel and appeal

The key word for me is "more". I just like the stadium design better. Another 25 million gets you a lot of goodies...thats all. Believe me, I am very excited about t he new stadium...thing it is going to be wonderful and can hardly wait to see it in person. Would I have made changes to the design if I had the chance...of course, and probably everyone else would also.maybe x UNT admin folks.

I stopped going to Fouts after I brought guest (Texas and TCU) to the Tulsa game....we enough said...they will not be back and I will not either...wait on the new stadium...who knows, perhaps I will make one last game to Fouts...K State ? I am very happy for the students, players and all others that will be attending games in the years to come....they will have a wonderful place to go, thanks to the likes of Pohl's early leadership in sports, Dr. B, RV,Jordan Case, UNT flyer, and many others that played major roles in this project.

• Downvote 3

Same architect(HKS).

Good for TCU. That stadium is going to be a beauty, just like ours will be.

I know it is the same architect. Point is that it appears HKS simply changed the color scheme for the interior of the club level demo from green to purple for the TCU stadium. That makes them freaking copycats

Is TCU's new stadium nice? Yes! Am I envious? Absolutely not! I am happy for them.

Our new stadium is also very nice! It's great that none of the three local schools stadiums will look alike.

I see our stadium design as only the first stage. I only hope that one day the demand for tickets for UNT football games will be far greater than capacity, thereby forcing us to enclose the bowl and build an upper deck. I would love to see what that would look like. I bet you it would be very impressive!

The only thing about TCU's new stadium I don't like is that it looks too much like Jerry Jone's second house. It doesn't look very collegiate to me. Just my opinion.

Go Mean Green!

You must not get out much at all then. I lived there for 18 years and my parents still live there as well as other family members and you see TCU everywhere you go. Either support from businesses or your average joe wearing a tshirt or hat.

• Upvote 2