Mean Green Schedule Predictions

Harry

...So, I love all the predictions... everyone has good points...

...but if you're picking UNT to beat Troy, you're drinking far too much Kool-Aid.

...and here's the BIG dilemma that clouds my thoughts on TDodge. I would like nothing better than to see Dodge turn it around at UNT and coach here for a long, long time. He is an absolute class act and seems to really want to be here (unlike previous coaches who shall remain nameless). However, we haven't even been competitive in our games against Troy with Dodge at the helm. The 45-7 loss was the worst beating I've ever witnessed, at this level, when you consider that we had 7 takeaways and still lost by 38! We hardly put up a fight against the best teams on our schedule year in and year out and that really, really worries me. I realize we were 19 points away from a winning record last season, but that was 19 points against a cream puff schedule. The really tough teams we played put us away quickly. If we manage to win 7 games this year, but are not at least competitive with Troy and MTSU (or whoever ends up winning the conference)....then I'd rather not see Dodge return.

I don't know if that makes me a fickle fan, an idiot or just plain beaten down.

• Upvote 5

...and here's the BIG dilemma that clouds my thoughts on TDodge. I would like nothing better than to see Dodge turn it around at UNT and coach here for a long, long time. He is an absolute class act and seems to really want to be here (unlike previous coaches who shall remain nameless). However, we haven't even been competitive in our games against Troy with Dodge at the helm. The 45-7 loss was the worst beating I've ever witnessed, at this level, when you consider that we had 7 takeaways and still lost by 38! We hardly put up a fight against the best teams on our schedule year in and year out and that really, really worries me. I realize we were 19 points away from a winning record last season, but that was 19 points against a cream puff schedule. The really tough teams we played put us away quickly. If we manage to win 7 games this year, but are not at least competitive with Troy and MTSU (or whoever ends up winning the conference)....then I'd rather not see Dodge return.

I don't know if that makes me a fickle fan, an idiot or just plain beaten down.

One thing about that Troy beatdown is that we had the Troy DL and LBs in our backfield all day long. Our OL was not close to competing, and that was the biggest difference maker.

Our OL should be as good as any in the Belt this year. Considering we finished last year without Tobe anyway, our defense should be improved. Really, if you look at our roster and notice that the massive bulk of our talent is in the junior and senior classes, we are built for success this year. But that also tells me that if we cannot achieve success in 2010--i.e., a winning record, and at least remaining competitive in every one of our Sun Belt games--we are not all that likely to have success in 2011 or '12 under the present regime.

@ Clemson - Loss 40-17 -- decent showing versus a solid team

RICE - Win 30-27 -- we finally get some breaks in a close game

@Army - Loss 24-20 -- we don't get the same breaks as the previous week

@ Florida Atlantic - Loss 30-27 -- this loss tests the patience of our fandom and resolve of the team

ULL - Win 31-17 -- big win for the good guys

Ark State - Win 27-20 -- Big Mo is on our side

FIU (Homecoming) - Win 37-27 -- we're rolling

@WKU - Win 37-24 -- we're 5-3 !!!

Troy - Loss 24-17 -- we play tough in a game that actually means something late in the season

@Middle Tennessee Loss 31-16 -- we're at .500

@ULM - Win 34-20 -- huge win for Dodge

Kansas State - Loss 34 - 13 -- we keep it close for a while

6 Wins

6 Losses

@ Clemson - Loss 42-14 - Clemson is just too strong and their refs eat too many breakfasts with the coaching staff...check does cash..

Kansas State - Loss 35 - 7 - K-State is just too big and too strong to handle even at home.

6 wins 6 losses in 2010!!

If Kansas State holds us to 7 points, there will be a lot more than 35 points made on us because we do not eat up the clock fast enough. The only way we prevent a repeat of last year besides more pass completions is to go deep and stop the quick out for a loss.

This may have been said earlier (didn't take the time to read the entire thread) but I don't see any way we hit the magic number (is it 6 or 7) unless we beat either Rice or Army. The Rice game is the equivalent of the Ohio game last year, discussed in another thread). If we can turn that game into a win, I think it has a way of propelling us.

NT must do whatever it takes to avoid 0-3.

See the victory!

Clemson - Loss 56-10

Rice - Loss 45-35

Army - Win 28-24

FAU - Loss 38-31

ULL - Win 31-27

Arkansas State - Loss 24-17

FIU - Loss 38-35

WKU - Win 28-24

Troy - Loss 52-24

MTSU - Loss 45-17

ULM - Win 31-28

Kansas State - Loss 49-14

4-9 record.

• Upvote 2

Ok, here goes.

I think Clemson is a certain loss, but we should not see the total collapse in the 4thQ that has plagued us in the past. I'm hoping for more hustle late in the game on both sides of the ball.

I think will will win only one between Rice and Army and I'm not sure at all which will be which. Of the two, I'd prefer we beat Rice just because it's at home. Losing both is very bad, winning both gives a lot of hope for a much better if not actually great season.

I see losses to Troy, MT and K State. Maybe also to A State, but this one could go either way.

So, I think maybe 7-5, more likely 6-6.

Clemson - Loss 34-17

Rice - Win 45-35

Army - Win 34-24

FAU - Win 38-10

ULL - Win 31-14

Arkansas State -Win 24-17

FIU - Win 17-3

WKU - Win 28-24

Troy - Win 43 -24 OVER RATED

MTSU - Loss 45-17

ULM - Win 31-28

Kansas State - Loss 30-14

9-3 record.

no way we beat clemson,troy, muts, of k-state. army and rice are winnable. out of remaining conference games, ull,ulm,fiu, and our annual designated win, wk, appear to be as sure a thing as we have. a-state and fau are tossups. worse case,4&8. best case, we split with army and rice, a-state and fau, to be 6&6. i will split the difference and predict a 5&7 season. our defense still is very poor, which i don't understand other than for some reason we can't sign and keep good defensive players or build any depth.

When we made our predictions prior to TD's first season here, I remember making the following statement.

Year 1: 2 wins max, possible winless season ala New Mexico State

Year 2: Improvement, with a couple more wins.

Year 3: Very competitive in conference play, possible breakout year.

Year 4: Conference championship.

At this point, I expected us to be worried about losing our coach to a larger program. Instead, he is fighting for his job. When it is all said and done, that 2nd season may end up being TD's Achilles Heel. TD's 2nd season should have been more like the 3rd. Instead, it was a complete disaster and a step backwards.

I expect a lot better team this year than we have seen over the past 5 or 6 years. But, I don't believe that we will get to the "mandatory" 7 wins. If we are competitive and fall just short, I hope it will be enough to return the coaching staff next year. I still have faith.

FYI, I have not yeat read any of the other predictions. So, forgive me if anything is repeated. I wanted to make my prediction without any influence.

Predicted Record (5-7)

@ Clemson: L by 31

Rice: L by 10

@Army: W by 8

@ FAU: L by 10 (just can't beat Schnelly)

ULL W by 1

ASU L by 3

FIU W by 17

@WKU: W by 14

Troy: L by 17

@MT: L by 20

@ULM: W by 10

KSU: L by 35

I see a lot of optimism on this board. Even 5 wins would be considered a huge improvement. But I remember telling myself last season not to get caught in the emotional trap again this year. Much like what the Mavs do to me, I can't get excited about this thing again. As hard as I'm trying to keep my emotions from getting the best of me this thread is making it difficult, however.

Clemson - L

Rice - L

Army - L

FAU - L

ULL - L

ASU - L

FIU - W

WKU - W

Troy - L

MUTS - L

ULM - W

Kstate - L

Final Record: 3-9

Edited by eppy4life
  • Upvote 1

I see a lot of optimism on this board. Even 5 wins would be considered a huge improvement. But I remember telling myself last season not to get caught in the emotional trap again this year. Much like what the Mavs do to me, I can't get excited about this thing again. As hard as I'm trying to keep my emotions from getting the best of me this thread is making it difficult, however.

Clemson - L

Rice - L

Army - L

FAU - L

ULL - L

ASU - L

FIU - W

WKU - W

Troy - L

MUTS - L

ULM - W

Kstate - L

Final Record: 3-10

Man, college bowl game standards are getting ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

* We lose any game where Dunbar doesn't get at least 20 touches

@ Clemson L... just too much talent

vs Rice L , hopefully will be closer than last time & a good enough effort to bring back the casual fan

@ Army W , we have so much more talent , plus CBL will b there for good luck

@ FAU W , we have to win vs the Owls sometime

vs ULL L , too high off the win vs FAU

vs ARK ST L , another close loss

vs FIU W , 1st home win in 10

@ WkU L , upset in BG , thus sealing the deal on TD's future

vs Troy L , too much talent

@ MTSu L , nothing to play for , game could get ugly

@ ULM W , because I might make that trip

vs K St L , fouts finale

4 - 8

Edited by NT03