Houston It Is!

KRAM1

KRAM...Sources. Maybe not names, but how did this information come to you ? At a meeting ? A party ? Or just the way your alphabet soup lined up ?

I had a message in my alphabet soup today, it said OOOOOOOOOOO. No wait, those were my Cherios.

• Upvote 1

I'm very excited to see we could be scheduling Houston. It would be great if we could sign them to a long tern series like we did with SMU. Having those two as OOC games every year would be great. But I don't like the idea of opening the new stadium with Houston. As things stand right now, Houston is a considerably stronger team then we are. We will probably close out Fouts with a lose to K St. Why would we want to open our new stadium with a lose? Before I can rationalize beating Houston, I have to see us win more then 2 games in a season. I think we can and will do that this season (8-4), but a game against Wassington State, Indiana, Army, Navy, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Virginia, Colorado St., New Mexico, Memphis, or Tulane, would improve our odds of winning. Lets make the Houston game our second game in the stadium.

• Upvote 1

Don't like. It's not a name opponent. It's not a team that travels well. It's not a team that we have any sort of rivalry with. And they are not a W for us. I think it would be a terrible choice for our opener. Please for the love of god let this not be true.

I like. Known opponent. Winnable game. We should be able to fill up our own stadium. Great choice.

• Upvote 1

This should be a natural. Similar in size, core population, striving for tier 1 research status, degrees offered and academics. We were once a near-equal but they moved forward and we moved backward to the point that they have all to lose and nothing to gain even if they won against us.

For that reason I'd come nearer believing that TCU was to be the opening opponent. Or that a flock of pigs were descending on Denton.. Now tell us who the real opponent will be.

Jack, I assume you mean "flying pigs", otherwise the possibility of pigs descending on Denton is very real. B)

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rsasser/stories/100109dnsposasser.42e5ec0.html

Edited by SilverEagle

I heard the hope was that Houston would be our second game weeks ago. This is great, but I hope the other school is still in play, although I understand if they had bigger fish to fry with everything else going on. :ph34r:

Just caught the thread in the VVIP..... WOW!!!!11 This would be HUGE!!!!!1

Ok, teasing the common plebeians with bedazzling tales of the magical fantasyland VIP room is just cruel.

Houston would be good game. I think U of H will travel better based on conference realignment. U of H looking to get back to Big XII, and they will bring their big money donors to get look at our new stadium. U of H needs one or they play at Reliant Stadium.

The game itself scares me. I really don't want the Stadium opener to be another Rice 77 UNT 20 route. Houston has the ability to beat us that bad. That's just the reality. Todd Dodge and the boy's will have to work hard not to be embarrassed in our stadium home opener.

The game itself scares me. I really don't want the Stadium opener to be another Rice 77 UNT 20 route. Houston has the ability to beat us that bad. That's just the reality. Todd Dodge and the boy's will have to work hard not to be embarrassed in our stadium home opener.

If we're still at the point in 2011 where we can be blown out that badly by Houston, Dodge better not be the coach for the home opener.

• Upvote 1

Ok, teasing the common plebeians with bedazzling tales of the magical fantasyland VIP room is just cruel.

Why? You're maybe the only person that read that post. Everyone else didn't bother reading it because they're tripping over their big strong at the thought of playing THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!

Everyone just assumes it's Houston because of a "well placed source" and the title of the damn thread is so declarative. It could not be, and from what I've heard - it isn't.

I'm not saying KRAMs sources aren't reliable, but he's the only person I've heard conflicting reports from. Just don't be disappointed if it's not the nationally acclaimed Houston Cougars is all I am saying.

I don't even understand why that team would want to play in DFW. They already play at SMU. We can do better.

Jack, I assume you mean "flying pigs", otherwise the possibility of pigs descending on Denton is very real. B)

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rsasser/stories/100109dnsposasser.42e5ec0.html

Yep, you got it Bill. I thought that the flock would indicate flying pigs. I should've tried to work in the phrase, "when pigs fly" instead. You're right about the feral hogs though; they are really becoming a problem in the rural areas and lake bottoms of the Metroplex.

OK, so I hear this rumor that UNT has set the opponent for the first game in the new stadium and it is...drum roll please.........HOUSTON!

So, not a bad set up for the first game. A Texas school with dreams of developing into a BCS player, an improving program and one that UNT can beat! It will not be a "walk-over" game, which I am very happy about, it is a bit of a "name" and it is a Texas school that should help bring some fans and have a bit of excitement to lend to the game.

So, if the rumor is true, what do you think? Me, I like the decision and the match-up even if it is not one of the service academy schools that I had hoped to see....I'm good with Houston and the Cougars...BEAT HOUSTON...GO MEAN GREEN!

Houston+ UNT= Dumb... WHY?

I'm not saying KRAMs sources aren't reliable, but he's the only person I've heard conflicting reports from. Just don't be disappointed if it's not the nationally acclaimed Houston Cougars is all I am saying.

Please do tell what conflicting reports you have heard from me???? This is the first mention I have made of who the opponent may be for the first game. Don't see how that can be "conflicting reports". Please explain...you may be confusing me with someone else, sir!

Please do tell what conflicting reports you have heard from me???? This is the first mention I have made of who the opponent may be for the first game. Don't see how that can be "conflicting reports". Please explain...you may be confusing me with someone else, sir!

I think he means conflicting not with yourself but with info heard from other sources. Some said it might be a Big12 opponent.

Edited by NT80

Hey guys, Cougar Fan here.

First, Congratulation on the new stadium.

Second, I wanted to say to the gentleman/woman who called my school "Houston High", I don't quite understand the criticism of the academics of my school. We have a one and one with Texas Tech University, and even though there has been a lot of trash talk between the fans of the two schools, very rarely has there been a criticism of the academics of my school, The University of Houston. Tech students and grads know that the U of H is very similar academically, and we have very similar academic missions. I have a lot of friends who attend/attended UNT and I've never viewed UNT as an academic institution beneath UH. To see someone commenting otherwise is offensive, and also silly at the same time. To call the U of H "Houston High" would also put UNT in a problematic academic situation. I would appreciate the reluctance to use this term towards my school.

Third, a lot of UH fans believe we travel enough to the DFW area with our conference games at SMU. However, in 2011 we will be playing SMU at home, so I don't see how this could be a problem for us, as long as it's not the opening football game. I would hate to play the opening football game away (nothing against UNT).

Fourth, although we'll be losing Case Keenum, we are stocked on QB prospects. We've recruited that position well (we run the Air-Raid Offense, so we have to). I don't doubt we'll continue to be good in 2011 regardless of losing Case. If we lose Coach Sumlin, we have plenty of qualified people to promote to that position.

Fifth, we won't travel to fill your stadium unless we miraculously make a BCS bid in this upcoming football season. However, we typically have a good showing in University Park when we play SMU, so I don't see how we would put fewer people in your stadium that night. I could see 2-3 thousand at minimum showing up. I apologize that we may not meet the attendance expectations that some of you have, but I would imagine you would prefer to fill up your own stadium.

Anyways, Here's to a ever more boring off season. I hope to hear some positive news, and I hope the best for the Mean Green.

Edited by canewton
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Hey guys, Cougar Fan here.

First, Congratulation on the new stadium.

Second, I wanted to say to the gentleman/woman who called my school "Houston High", I don't quite understand the criticism of the academics of my school. We have a one and one with Texas Tech University, and even though there has been a lot of trash talk between the fans of the two schools, very rarely has there been a criticism of the academics of my school, The University of Houston. Tech students and grads know that the U of H is very similar academically, and we have very similar academic missions. I have a lot of friends who attend/attended UNT and I've never viewed UNT as an academic institution beneath UH. To see someone commenting otherwise is offensive, and also silly at the same time. To call the U of H "Houston High" would also put UNT in a problematic academic situation. I would appreciate the reluctance to use this term towards my school.

Third, a lot of UH fans believe we travel enough to the DFW area with our conference games at SMU. However, in 2011 we will be playing SMU at home, so I don't see how this could be a problem for us, as long as it's not the opening football game. I would hate to play the opening football game away (nothing against UNT).

Fourth, although we'll be losing Case Keenum, we are stocked on QB prospects. We've recruited that position well (we run the Air-Raid Offense, so we have to). I don't doubt we'll continue to be good in 2011 regardless of losing Case. If we lose Coach Sumlin, we have plenty of qualified people to promote to that position.

Fifth, we won't travel to fill your stadium unless we miraculously make a BCS bid in this upcoming football season. However, we typically have a good showing in University Park when we play SMU, so I don't see how we would put fewer people in your stadium that night. I could see 2-3 thousand at minimum showing up. I apologize that we may not meet the attendance expectations that some of you have, but I would imagine you would prefer to fill up your own stadium.

Anyways, Here's to a ever more boring off season. I hope to hear some positive news, and I hope the best for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We usually bring 6-8k to SMU, and brought 15-20k to the Liberty Bowl in 2006, so lets not get carried away when saying we don't travel.

I'm with canewton with the advice of being hesitant to refer to a school that would be a 35+ point favorite in your house, and has an endowment 7 times bigger than UNT as a high school.

Edited by Coogs09
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We usually bring 6-8k to SMU and brough 15-20k to the Liberty Bowl in 2006, so lets not get carried away when saying we don't travel.

I'm with canewton with the advice of being hesitant to refer to a school that would be a 35+ point favorite in your house, and has an endowment 7 times bigger than UNT as a high school.

Juvenile.

To be expected from high schooler I suppose...how was prom this year?

• Downvote 1