World Cup Is Finally Here

Let's be honest. The ref blew calls both ways. He could have easily called Dempsey for getting his elbow up early on a challenge and shown his card as it was just as blatant as several cards on Slovenia.

He did not blow calls both ways.

The ref not carding Dempsey wasn't a "blown" call. He still called a foul on him. He just didn't card him. Even if it was a "blown" call. A card there would not have changed the outcome of the game at all. However, what he did to us did change the outcome and now leaves Findley off for the next game. Never mind the foul to Altidore in which he was going to goal and was fouled by the last man on their team which usually results in a red card. All he was given was a yellow. There are other decisions that made us dumbfounded as to how he can lose proper control of this game.

There were horrible judgements throughout the game and it is equally laughable to say it went both ways.

The ref not carding Dempsey wasn't a "blown" call. He still called a foul on him. He just didn't card him. Even if it was a "blown" call. A card there would not have changed the outcome of the game at all. However, what he did to us did change the outcome and now leaves Findley off for the next game. Never mind the foul to Altidore in which he was going to goal and was fouled by the last man on their team which usually results in a red card. All he was given was a yellow. There are other decisions that made us dumbfounded as to how he can lose proper control of this game.

There were horrible judgements throughout the game and it is equally laughable to say it went both ways.

OK...more Buddle, more Gomez. I was shocked to see him start against England...and then even more so against Slovenia. I've been very under-whelmed with his play and thought both Buddle and Gomez were much more impressive in the pre-cup friendlies.

I think the way they do it he is either a center or he goes home. FIFA works the refs in crews, and if your referee fails then you are done. Each crew brings three ARs and if one fails the crew can stay, but two failing ARs sends them all home.

I don't know how they pick the 4th and 5th officials though.

As suspected, Coulibaly will work as the 4th official in the Italy-New Zealand game. He can't do much damage there, so he should have no effect on the outcome of the game.

As suspected, Coulibaly will work as the 4th official in the Italy-New Zealand game. He can't do much damage there, so he should have no effect on the outcome of the game.

Especially because it already happened.

If Dempsey gets the card early then it changes his approach for the rest of the game plain and simple. It makes him more tentative. It also changes Bradleys substitution approach later in the game. BTW The ref did us a favor by Findley not playing against Algeria as he has given us a big bag of nothing so far. Hopefully Buddle gets the call as he has done nothing but score goals in MLS this season not to mention 2 in the final warmup against Australia.

Dan Akyroyd told him they already pre-taped the game on the same soundstage where they faked the moon landing.

I'm fairly confident that I could identify which stadium a World Cup game is being played in simply by the sound of the vuvazelas and the resonant sound they make off of each particular architecturally unique feature of each venue.

He could have done some damage from there. If the center had been hurt he would have been the one to take over. He shouldn't be in South Africa any more.

Greece kicks in a couple of hours against Argentina with multiple possibilities of advancing into the knock-out round...though its not terribly favorable considering their match-up.

As I see it:

Win, South Korea draw, loss or win but lose the goal differential (South Korea currently +1)

Draw, South Korea loss or draw but lose the goal differential

Loss, South Korea loss and Greece wins goal differential between South Korea and Nigeria.

I'll be pulling for the Kicking Tasties.

Greece kicks in a couple of hours against Argentina with multiple possibilities of advancing into the knock-out round...though its not terribly favorable considering their match-up.

I'll be pulling for the Kicking Tasties.

I'm with you there CBL...you just have to pull for Greece if for no other reason than to support the Mean Green's own Tasty! Go Kickin' Greek Tasty's....GOOOOOOOOOOOALS!!!!!!!!

Edited by KRAM1

WOW! Another perfectly good goal disallowed for the US in the first half against Algeria! I simply cannot believe it. Is the US squad "snake bit"? We'll see. Their fate is still in their own hands. With England up 1-0 on Slovenia the US needs a win against Algeria to advance. Jozey missed an open (well almost open) net near the end of the half. Just tap the darn thing in the net, instead he blasts it well over the goal post! UGH! Cannot do that and advance. We'll just keep watching. It will be a fast and furious second half for both squads, but the Algerians will probably play for the tie and hope the England score holds. The US must push forward. Donovan needs to step up and lead his team to victory...something he is very capable of doing and something he has done time and time again.

GO USA!!!!!

• Upvote 1

WOW! Another perfectly good goal disallowed for the US in the first half against Algeria! I simply cannot believe it. Is the US squad "snake bit"? We'll see. Their fate is still in their own hands. With England up 1-0 on Slovenia the US needs a win against Algeria to advance. Jozey missed an open (well almost open) net near the end of the half. Just tap the darn thing in the net, instead he blasts it well over the goal post! UGH! Cannot do that and advance. We'll just keep watching. It will be a fast and furious second half for both squads, but the Algerians will probably play for the tie and hope the England score holds. The US must push forward. Donovan needs to step up and lead his team to victory...something he is very capable of doing and something he has done time and time again.

GO USA!!!!!

Jozy and Landon hit that ball at the same time...if just one hits its a goal.

You seriously have to be trying to be this good at getting goals disallowed.

Donovan comes through with a GREAT goal in stoppage time to put the US through to the quarterfinals! Not only is the US through to the quarters, but they are Group winners over England! How sweet is that? It has been since the 1930's I think the announcers said since the US won a group in the World Cup!

man, oh, man! These guys never seem to make it easy, but winners they are today! The US deserved to win this game as they were the best team on the pitch all day and certainly so in the second half. Why the Algerians were playing for the draw it seemed when a draw would knock the out of the Cup is beyond me, but Donovan hits again late and the US is through to the quarters!

WOW...WOW!!!!!

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Donovan comes through with a GREAT goal in stoppage time to put the US through to the quarterfinals! Not only is the US through to the quarters, but they are Group winners over England! How sweet is that? It has been since the 1930's I think the announcers said since the US won a group in the World Cup!

man, oh, man! These guys never seem to make it easy, but winners they are today! The US deserved to win this game as they were the best team on the pitch all day and certainly so in the second half. Why the Algerians were playing for the draw it seemed when a draw would knock the out of the Cup is beyond me, but Donovan hits again late and the US is through to the quarters!

WOW...WOW!!!!!

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!!!

What is stoppage time? I thought it happened at 87 minute mark isn't a game 90 minutes? I did have my TV on and saw the goal which was a nice hockey inspired goal for me.

I have to say the more I watch the less I like, the refs suck and are a inconsistent as my I-League refs in hockey and they are not reffing a world event.

What is stoppage time? I thought it happened at 87 minute mark isn't a game 90 minutes? I did have my TV on and saw the goal which was a nice hockey inspired goal for me.

I have to say the more I watch the less I like, the refs suck and are a inconsistent as my I-League refs in hockey and they are not reffing a world event.

King...the goal was scored in the 91st minute. Yes, a game is 90 min. plus time added for game stoppage (injury, subs, etc.). Yesterday's game had 3 min. of stoppage or extra time.

Let me quote an article in today's (6-24-10) Wall Street Journal...P. A3:

"The US soccer team Wednesday prompted Americans to forget the problems besetting their country and embrace a sport that they usually ignore...". the article goes on to say "At 11:46 Eastern time, America suddenly looked as if it were becoming a soccer nation. In a terminal at New York's LaGuardia Aiport, a loud cheer arose from long-delayed passengers watching the game. On the other side of the country, in downtown San Francisco, a car full of soccer fans drove down California Street waving American flags from the windows and cheering. In Washington cheers arose from legislators who had paused to watch the game amid deliberations over the financial-overhaul bill". it continues..."Within moments of the goal, Twitter - the online social networking site-became so over-loaded with traffic and ceased working for hours".

As to the comment about the refs...agree...however, show me a sport anywhere where the refs are always consistent and wonderful. Seems a No-No was "lost" due to a pretty bad call in MLB recently. I recall that UNT lost a pretty good game in Austin a few years ago on a late blown TD call. Ask Nebraska about some calls against Texas, check out what Team USA basketball still says about the Olympic gold medal game against the Russians a few years back. Soccer does not have a lock on inconsistent refereeing.

Anyway, you like it, you don't, no problem. But, you might give it a few more tries...you probably didn't like beer the first time you took a sip either! Soccer might just grow on you as it seems to be doing the rest of the nation.

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!! Saturday...9:30AM...USA vs Ghana in the round of 16. Can they? Will they? Yes, they will (maybe, I hope!). :clapping:

• Upvote 1