Ny Times The Quad Countdown 2010

gangrene

I was thinking that it's about time for the NY Times to start their 2010 countdown, so I did a bit of searching.

I found this:

Four teams were in the running for the ignominious spot of No. 120 in the Countdown, but a decision has been made. Just so you know, those four came from the Sun Belt (two), the WAC and the MAC. I won't go any further than that, but here's the hint for tomorrow's No. 120, which will start the four-month show: Our first program won seven games in 2004 — two coaches ago — or only three less than it has won in the five years since.

That's a pretty easy one to get things started. In the past, I've had people say the hints were too hard; fewer have said they were too easy. But this is a nice, easy one to get things started. Remember, that team needs to play in either the Sun Belt, WAC or MAC and fit that above criteria. If you'd like, make a guess as to who it may be in the comment section below. Otherwise, check in tomorrow afternoon for the answer.

Ok, there's really no need to delay the suspenseful misery any longer. (This has been out since May 6 and I'm sure several GMG posters already saw this and just ignored it like I wish I could.)

No. 120: North Texas

Ouch!

The Sporting News has already started their countdown as well. Fortunately for us, they started from 100 so we're spared from the 120 ranking there. A few notables from The Sporting News' list:

43. Middle Tennessee State

61. Clemson

79. Army

84. Florida International

85. Kansas State

90. Troy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, so much for the theory that those who pick us low in the Belt really have not examined our program...

Four players earned starting snaps on the interior of the line last fall — Shavod Atkinson, Kelvin Jackson, Tevinn Cantly and Draylen Ross; more is expected from this quartet. More will be needed if the Mean Green hope to challenge for respectability.

Hope?

Should this be filed under the category of "any pr is good pr"? I really have no problem with the ranking at 120. Given the past couple of years it is hard to see how UNT could be rated much higher going into the season. However, my concern lies only with the ranking coming OUT of the season! Every team is 0-0 right now, and everything is simple speculation. My personal speculation is that UNT will surprise a lot of people this year, even some of its more loyal and positive fans with a winning season.

I have renewed our season tickets, of course, and am really excited to see the season get underway. It should be fun to watch a much improved Mean Green squad, and to be witness to the last season at Fouts Field. Memories to be made this season. BE THERE...be part of the history!

GO MEAN GREEN!

how embarassing is it that this collection of misfits is referenced under 'where do north texas fans congregate?'

There's not really a good hyperlink for the second men's room stall at Denny's.

I agree, if it's 6 or 7. If it's more, I doubt I would be opposed to extending him through 2012 or maybe even '13.

I could see a one year extension for a 9 win season. Anything else, no.

The track record of losing is in the books. I want more than a one year track record of winning.

Even if we do win 6 or 7 games, I don't think Dodge gets an extension. I think RV will wait and see what the final year brings.

At least I think he should.

very hard to recruit when a coach only has one year left on his contract. it would be better to start over if we are that unsure.

• Upvote 1

I could see a one year extension for a 9 win season. Anything else, no.

The track record of losing is in the books. I want more than a one year track record of winning.

If we win 7 or more games next year, it could happen in so many ways that nobody here can really predict what would happen afterwards. One thing it WOULD mean: Todd Dodge finally learned to coach at the FBS level. I'm not predicting that this will happen, but just imagine the possibility of UNT winning 7 or more games in the last season before the new stadium is to open. Would you take some personnel action, including at least SOME contract extension, so that new recruits would see it as likely the coach who recruited them would be there long enough for them to play for him, thus increasing the likelihood of a quality class being signed?

I guess this is a good time of year to speculate on whether the coach is fired after losing the first 3 games or winning 7. Hey, I'm not saying I have enjoyed watching the last 3 years, but it doesn't seem likely that much will be known about our coach or anyone else's before some games get played on the field in the 2010 season.

very hard to recruit when a coach only has one year left on his contract. it would be better to start over if we are that unsure.

This. If he wins 6 or 7 wins, he will get a 2 year extension and a small raise. If he wins 8+, I think he will get a 3 year extesnion. That said, I doubt he gets to 5, so I think it will be moot. I just don't think we know how to win, and I believe that the odds are more in favor of 5 or less wins than anything else. I will admit that I still worry that 5 wins might get him his last year if finances are still tight.

Edited by untjim1995

This. If he wins 6 or 7 wins, he will get a 2 year extension and a small raise. If he wins 8+, I think he will get a 3 year extesnion. That said, I doubt he gets to 5, so I think it will be moot. I just don't think we know how to win, and I believe that the odds are more in favor of 5 or less wins than anything else. I will admit that I still worry that 5 wins might get him his last year if finances are still tight.

I think RV made it crystal clear 7 wins or hit the road Jack. I don't think 6 wins will get Dodge a return request, and RV should keep his promise and integrity with the fans. 7 wins or more will make for an extension of some sort that is the deal RV made, the line in the sand, I wouldn't sell the farm until TD can repeat the success. I imagine he would start out with a small extension. RV will know, we will know if Dodge is getting it done.

I think RV made it crystal clear 7 wins or hit the road Jack. I don't think 6 wins will get Dodge a return request, and RV should keep his promise and integrity with the fans. 7 wins or more will make for an extension of some sort that is the deal RV made, the line in the sand, I wouldn't sell the farm until TD can repeat the success. I imagine he would start out with a small extension. RV will know, we will know if Dodge is getting it done.

Whoa now, all RV said was 7 wins gets Dodge back next year. He didn't promise an extension.

But I agree with you, RV went on record (recorded on this site) and said 7 wins or the door. If Dodge wins 5 and is allowed back, how can you trust what RV says?

The one wildcard is that RV said that before GB was fired by Satan. That same Satan may be a cheap scape and not want to pay out the last year of Dodge's contract.

All this said, I hope we win 13 games and Dodge gets a 4 year extension.

Edited by UNT90

Whoa now, all RV said was 7 wins gets Dodge back next year. He didn't promise an extension.

But I agree with you, RV went on record (recorded on this sight) and said 7 wins or the door. If Dodge wins 5 and is allowed back, how can you trust what RV says?

The one wildcard is that RV said that before GB was fired by Satan. That same Satan may be a cheap scape and not want to pay out the last year of Dodge's contract.

All this said, I hope we win 13 games and Dodge gets a 4 year extension.

I guess I feel that is implied, can you have a coach with only a year left on his contract still recruit? But that brings up questions about any recruiting between now and the 7th win. I too hope Dodge goes undefeated, I think we are taking a hell of a big risk keeping TD.

I guess I feel that is implied, can you have a coach with only a year left on his contract still recruit? But that brings up questions about any recruiting between now and the 7th win. I too hope Dodge goes undefeated, I think we are taking a hell of a big risk keeping TD.

Dead on. Same effect on an incoming freshman this year as no extension next year on that class.