Thomas Gone

GrandGreen

I am very surprised about this. There must be more to the story. Thomas started the season playing very well, but he really struggled, especially with his shot, as the season wore on. I figured though that he'd eventually get it together and make an great contribution next season. I wish him the best. I saw an interview with him and he seemed like a nice guy.

Something must have went on that we dont know about. I wonder if he got in some trouble? He was a long way away from home, he is from NY so that might have played a role in it. Also i noticed that he didnt play against Denver and his body language was of a person that wasnt very happy. Best of luck to him.

This is unfortunate in that we're losing a talented guy and I wish that a role existed that he was satisfied with. It seemed from the beginning that either he or Shorter were going to find themselves an odd man out. At the start of the year, it was Shorter riding the bench and struggling to get minutes. Since the semester started, though, the roles reversed and Thomas hasn't even been getting much in the way of scraps. I'm sad that it didn't work out for him here, and I hope that wherever he ends up, he gets to show off his talents and get some playing time.

But his departure does allow JJ to ease the pain of next year's graduations a little bit.

Dear J'Mison-

How is the weather in Los Angeles? Not sure if you heard, but I recently had a player decide to transfer. It's a tough choice for a young man to make, but sometimes it's the best possible choice for everyone involved.

How is your family? I'm sure you must miss them when you're so far away in California... When you write back, be sure and send a letter to them, too.

Best wishes-

Johnny Jones

Something must have went on that we dont know about. I wonder if he got in some trouble? He was a long way away from home, he is from NY so that might have played a role in it. Also i noticed that he didnt play against Denver and his body language was of a person that wasnt very happy. Best of luck to him.

The explanation that he wants to play nearer home would be reasonable for a transfer at the end of a school year. It can't be the complete explanation for leaving the team now.

The explanation that he wants to play nearer home would be reasonable for a transfer at the end of a school year. It can't be the complete explanation for leaving the team now.

I agree. There's definitely more to it. To leave the time with 3-7 games remaining is a definite red flag.

Our depth is majorly hurt. I am thinking move Alzee to the back-up 2, Mangrum to the back up 3, and see if Matlock can spell Josh for 4-7 minutes per game.

I agree. There's definitely more to it. To leave the time with 3-7 games remaining is a definite red flag.

Our depth is majorly hurt. I am thinking move Alzee to the back-up 2, Mangrum to the back up 3, and see if Matlock can spell Josh for 4-7 minutes per game.

Are there any updates on this? We're about to go into battle at the most critical time of the season in which depth and more depth can and will be the difference most times. I can't fathom how in hell the coaching staff can't talk someone into staying for at least another two to three weeks? This team has a legitimate chance to win a conference championship and a trip to the NCAA tourney. How many times in life do you get to be in such a position?

Rick

• Downvote 1

Are there any updates on this? We're about to go into battle at the most critical time of the season in which depth and more depth can and will be the difference most times. I can't fathom how in hell the coaching staff can't talk someone into staying for at least another two to three weeks? This team has a legitimate chance to win a conference championship and a trip to the NCAA tourney. How many times in life do you get to be in such a position?

Rick

I am just flinging poo, but could it be he felt entitled to be the started and when his minutes dwindled, he would rather take his ball home rather than be a good teammate, 6th Man?

Very disappointing, hope there is something else to the story and not just selfishness.

I am just flinging poo, but could it be he felt entitled to be the started and when his minutes dwindled, he would rather take his ball home rather than be a good teammate, 6th Man?

Very disappointing, hope there is something else to the story and not just selfishness.

Could be, but I can't help but think someone on this coaching staff not having the ability to talk some sense into him if that indeed were the case?

Rick

Could be, but I can't help but think someone on this coaching staff not having the ability to talk some sense into him if that indeed were the case?

Rick

It is often harder than one might think to "talk sense" to a kid when the kid in question may just not want to listen. It might take him awhile to figure out if he made a good or bad choice, but it does seem like something a bit more than "he wanted to play closer to home" is up with a mid-season departure. Too bad...you are correct, depth at this time of the season can be a "game changer".

This is just another chance for some people to slam the coaching staff. I dont get it.

Maybe he had a sick family member or something? I am pretty sure that the staff did all it could.

Bolded for emphasis, and I'd add a /would.

Looking at how JJ handled the Sturns situation once upon a time... Kicking him off the team but showing the care and patience that eventually allowed Sturns to return, then keeping him around through an eventual transfer for more playing time... I'm inclined to give this staff credit for knowing how to handle these sorts of situations.

Not just Sturns, but the deal last year where Collin Dennis seemed to be leaving the team, got suspended, but was eventually a crucial role player in our end of season run and tournament games.

Either they tried to keep Thomas around and he wasn't interested/willing... Or they didn't try, in which case I'll give them credit for having their reasons.

Whatever the situation, I'm sorry to see him go and that he didn't get to fulfill his fantastic potential on this team. Hope it works out for him.

• Upvote 3

This is just another chance for some people to slam the coaching staff. I dont get it.

Maybe he had a sick family member or something? I am pretty sure that the staff did all it could.

And as a fan I've got the right to ask. But your right. You don't get it, just like a lot of things you've proven this week you don't get. You argue about the quality of past teams you knew nothing about, are proven wrong, then continue to question about others without doing your own research, which is why you were proven wrong in the first place.

So right on, you don't get it!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 13

This is fun reading all of the speculations.

I would be careful to resolve to criticize people(coaches, admin) without having all the information.

I remember talking to several former football players about how annoying it was that we on this board would be so solid in our conclusions that weren't even close to what actually happened when it comes to players leaving, being benched, and what not.

Edited by Travis

+1

I dont know about not posting on the basketball board anymore(I know thats just for emphasis), but FFR you used to be like a father figure on this board. I have never seen you be so catty towards one person before. I hope that there is not a personal issue that is upsetting you, and you are taking it out here.

• Upvote 2

They said in the pregame that Richard's father is deathly ill. Best of luck to him and the rest of the Thomas clan.

Thank you Courtland for answering my original question and NOT being an ass wipe about it. I appreciate it. That's all I was concerned about. I too wish him the best of luck and hope things get better and he's able to get his career back on track where ever he ends up.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Thank you Courtland for answering my original question and NOT being an ass wipe about it. I appreciate it. That's all I was concerned about. I too wish him the best of luck and hope things get better and he's able to get his career back on track where ever he ends up.

Rick

To be fair... your first two posts were more about why in the hell can't this coaching staff keep a kid on the roster, ranther than Thomas's actual situation.

Not trying to pile on.

• Upvote 2

To be fair... your first two posts were more about why in the hell can't this coaching staff keep a kid on the roster, ranther than Thomas's actual situation.

Not trying to pile on.

Oh, you can pile on or read into it any way you want. I know what I posted and know what I meant. My second post gives the staff credit in assuming they could do whatever it takes to keep him here.

As it turns out that wasn't the case at all and it's a life and death situation which no one could possibly help overcome as we can only imagine.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Thank you UntJim for your post. For whatever reason i feel like someone on here as a personal vendetta against me. My whole point this whole time is i dont understand how people could be so critical of JJ when this place has not had a great basketball past. And i pointed that out by putting the records of the prevous 30 seasons before JJ got here and you could see how futile it was. I know i got some facts wrong about teams and their conferences but it still doesnt discount the fact that there has been no consistent winner here and since JJ has got here he has won and graduated players.