Extension For Jj?

DeepGreen

I don't understand the timing. Isn't this something you sit down and discuss AFTER the season plays out?

Rick

Why would you be against this no matter the timing? When you look at what he has done compared to every other coach before him, it is a o brainer. Just like Vito said.

• Upvote 3

JJ must get an extension. The entire fate of this university hangs in the balance. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if JJ does not get an extension, we should fire the entire AD staff, reassign the regents to janitorial positions at UNTD, Sell the athletic training facility to a 7-11 franchise and change the color of the seats in the Super pit back to orange.

It is that important.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just curious Rick, what is your beef with JJ ?

He seems to be a great guy, he has won here, he has recruited good kids that graduate. What more do you want besides us winning 25 games a year, playing in your face defense and going to the final 4 every year?

I dont think Rick was commenting on JJ, rather he was commenting on how RV has Dodge wait until the end of the year to talk about the season/future... so why not JJ as well? Maybe I'm wrong. (Like GreenP1, I also wonder what all of the dots mean?)

I think we should treat the Bball team and Fball teams differently though. 11 games gives you a good idea of how your coach is doing. In Fball, this is a whole season. In Bball, that's only about 1/3 of your season.

Based on what Johnny has put together here, I think he deserves this consideration right now. Especially with what he's done this year in working through injuries.

• Upvote 1

I dont think Rick was commenting on JJ, rather he was commenting on how RV has Dodge wait until the end of the year to talk about the season/future... so why not JJ as well? Maybe I'm wrong. (Like GreenP1, I also wonder what all of the dots mean?)

That's exactly what I was getting at. I have been reminded by another poster, that a few years ago we raised Tina Slinker's contract before the end of the season and she tanked in the 1st round of the tourney, then did nothing the next two years. JJ has three years left on his contract. I see no reason to extend it until the end of the season at least, if not the end of next season? By doing so, it just seems to me that the performance incentive(win the remainder of the year and do something in the tourney, as well as upgrade our recruiting for the future <_<) is removed.

And the dots are due to the browser at work not jiving with this new site. When I post from there, the tool bar is in the typing window. So in order to see what in hell I'm typing, I have to dot the typing prompt down to a level in the window where I can see it. And even then sometimes that doesn't work and I have to type blindly? It's weird.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That's exactly what I was getting at. I have been reminded by another poster, that a few years ago we raised Tina Slinker's contract before the end of the season and she tanked in the 1st round of the tourney, then did nothing the next two years. JJ has three years left on his contract. I see no reason to extend it until the end of the season at least, if not the end of next season? By doing so, it just seems to me that the performance incentive(win the remainder of the year and do something in the tourney, as well as upgrade our recruiting for the future dry.gif) is removed.

And the dots are due to the browser at work not jiving with this new site. When I post from there, the tool bar is in the typing window. So in order to see what in hell I'm typing, I have to dot the typing prompt down to a level in the window where I can see it. And even then sometimes that doesn't work and I have to type blindly? It's weird.

Rick

I think it is also a good idea to extend him in the case that we do win 22-23 games yet again. Even if we dont make a tourney run, other schools are starting to look at JJ, he interviewed with LSU last season. A contract extension might help scare some teams away, or raise the price of the buyout wich would help with hiring a new coach.

Btw, does JJ make more than Dodge? He's earned it, but thats rare.

• Upvote 1

Here's a little more detailed write-up on the extension from Vito:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_UNT_notebook_0210.101e07886.html

Btw, does JJ make more than Dodge? He's earned it, but thats rare.

Jones signed a five-year deal in May of 2007 that pays him a base salary of $170,000 after leading the Mean Green to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1988. His total compensation — which includes yearly raises, payments for a radio show and maintaining NCAA Division I status in the Sun Belt Conference — is $288,420 for the current season before incentives.

Details of what is in the new contract were not available . . .

Why an extension? Nothing against JJ but I think it is foolish for an University like NT to give out 5 year contracts. Excluding the initial contract were it may be necessary to give out a five year contract to get the right coach. Although I wonder why a high school football coach or a woman basketball coach with little experience warranted 5 year contracts. We all are aware of the Dodge situation but what if Stephens has another season like the first two next year and with two years left on her contract?

The facts are that contracts never bind coaches to schools and most leave as soon as they get a better offer despite their contract status. On the other hand, if things go South, like in the case of Dickey; the University has an expensive buyout to deal with. I have nothing against giving JJ a raise but why tie the school down for little reason with a longer agreement. I would always extend a good coaches' contract out were they would never be in the last year of their agreement but why go further than that?

What does NT have to gain from granting JJ a long term contract? If JJ is wildly successful and starts to win big, perpetual top 50 program, then he is going to merit big bucks. He is either going to go to greener pastures or renegotiate for more dollars at NT. The current contract means nothing. If JJ starts to lose more often and doesn't continue to advance the program, NT is stuck with a buyout or a coach they may not want. If JJ continues the status quo, keeps NT in the upper echelon of Belt teams but never really elevates the program, then a long term contract really gives NT no more advantage than a rolling two year agreement.

If anyone deserves a long term contract at NT athletics, Jones does. I just don't think it is a wise plan to unduly obligate the University when the potential downside in long-term contracts far outweighs any possible gain.

I'm one of the biggest JJ fans there is, but I'm sort of on board with what GrandGreen is saying. I like the idea of a rolling 2-3 year contract, but any more than that at a school like NT(where he's gonna leave if pursued by a bigger program, but could conceivably go in the tank and then we're stuck with him).

I am expecting a painful season in 2 years when we have the huge outgoing class, and perhaps JJ was aggressive in trying to get something on paper because he's worried that one bad year could break him? I don't know.

Edited by CMJ

That's exactly what I was getting at. I have been reminded by another poster, that a few years ago we raised Tina Slinker's contract before the end of the season and she tanked in the 1st round of the tourney, then did nothing the next two years. JJ has three years left on his contract. I see no reason to extend it until the end of the season at least, if not the end of next season? By doing so, it just seems to me that the performance incentive(win the remainder of the year and do something in the tourney, as well as upgrade our recruiting for the future <_<) is removed.

Rick

FWIW Rick. I am having the same problem with the toolbar in the middle of the reply window. It is driving me crazy. So, I have to think twice about posting, because I am afraid of what it might look like. I thought that I was the only one having a problem. So, you are not alone.

FWIW Rick. I am having the same problem with the toolbar in the middle of the reply window. It is driving me crazy. So, I have to think twice about posting, because I am afraid of what it might look like. I thought that I was the only one having a problem. So, you are not alone.

I have that issue on my terrible laptop at home...the best thing I've found to do is to go to the bottom of the quote and just hit enter until the scroll appears on the right side...that should create about 4 or 5 lines worth of text for you to write in.

To GrandGreen and CMJ,

I'm glad I could run interference earlier in this thread for both of you. That's what I'm here for. Now tomorrow, when everyone's replenished their negative votes, I can't guarantee anything but I'll do my best. :D

Rick

I thought that's what SE-66 is for? :)

• Upvote 2