Your Favorite New Signees

UNT Mean Green

Good thread--I was thinking of starting the same thing myself.

I'm obviously looking forward to seeing them all, but I'm especially interested to see how Aaron Bellazin does. He looked absolutely dominant in his highlight video (well, they all do to some extent, but he did more than others). And he recorded a ridiculous amount of tackles for loss. Tell me something we need more than a dominant defensive end (or perhaps DT) who can destroy a backfield.

Overall, a toss up between Orr and Bellazin. I like the H.S. guys a little better because we have them around a while longer.

Orr because of his pedigree and the praise that the coaches were pouring on him.

Bellazin because of his size and his highlight videos.

Impacting this year, I like Forlando Johnson. From the way the coaches were talking about him and his highlights, I think he starts right away.

As a sleeper, I like Graylan Hawkins. I think the frame is there, he just has to hit the weightroom with coach Gahagan. Redshirt him this year, and I think he could be a nice tackle for us in the future.

I have several, so here goes:

Brelan Chancellor, WR, Copperas Cove

Chancellor is an explosive player and extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands. He was a 'slot/wing' in the Copperas Cove HS offense, and was their home run threat. He will be very dangerous in the slot catching bubble screens, and possibly carrying the ball some on end-arounds and what not. I look forward to seeing him get a crease, because he'll outrun just about anyone on the field.

Zachary Olen, K, Richardson Berkner

Olen should have the most immediate impact of any of the high school signees. He is a physically large kicker with a big left leg. His kickoffs go high and deep (60 something percent out of the endzone), and he is extremely accurate inside 40 yards on field goals. I look for him to provide stability in the kicking game, and not make going for it on 4th down so appeasing.

Zach Orr, MLB, DeSoto

Orr is a bona fide MLB in the 4-3 scheme. He's over 6 foot, and close to 240lbs, and can really move. He stays in position well and makes plays at the point of attack. I think Zach could push for the 4th or 5th LB spot as a Freshman.

Mason Y'Barbo, OL, Sulphur Springs

Y'Barbo is one of those kids who's 2 inches too short for the upper echelon schools to recruit, but will make a very good Division 1 lineman, despite being only 6'2". He is 290 at this point, and will check in around 305 or so. The size is average, but what seperates him is his feet. Y'Barbo has incredible feet, and is very effective at blocking in space and pulling.

Brad Graham, OLB, Navarro CC

Graham is a playmaker at OLB. He is undersized, but makes up for it by reading quickly, and being in good position to make plays. He plays the game very smart and plays fast. Look for him to make an immediate impact at OLB.

Forlando Johnson, OLB, Butler CC

Johnson is very explosive on the defensive side of the ball. He's a good athlete and plays with an edge, often disrupting things very quickly. He has good closing speed and makes plays in space. I would look for Johnson to compete for an every down job at OLB, and also to play in Nickel and Dime packages out in space.

Jamize Olawale, TE, El Camino CC

Olawale is an athlete. Anytime you run a 4.51 at close to 240lbs you become a mismatch. Especially at TE. He averaged 25+ yards per catch in California last season, and look for him to be a very dangerous weapon in the new Mean Green offense. I could see him being very similar to a Dallas Clark or Jason Witten type of TE, who's that effective as a receiver. Olawale is solid as a blocker, and will really help in the zone read running game as an extra body. I firmly believe Olawale will be a huge part of an offensive improvement for North Texas this fall.

De'Andre Wood, CB, New Mexico Military Institute

Wood was very highly recruited out of high school by Butch Davis, and is a lockdown corner. He's very fast (10.5 100M in high school) and has good cover skills. On video, this one looks like the best of the secondary recruits (though I'm excited about the influx of speed in these new Juco defenders).

And then, of course there'll be the sleepers!

Edited by UNT Mean Green

From watching the videos last night at the Pourhouse, here is who I am looking forward to seeing:

Zack Orr - 240 lb tough guy and possible down the road replacement for Tobi.

Zack Olen - I liked the distance of his kick offs and appeared to have a quick release on FG's.

Forlando Johnson- He looked very aggressive.

D'Andre Wood - Blazing speed.

Jaimize Olawale - Looks like he will make an instant impact here and should be the right type of

Tight End for Canales' offense.

Brandin Byrd - Lance Dunbar Starter Kit.

Blake Dunham - I have different reasons for him...Have thoroughly enjoyed listening to his dad on

my way to work every day for the last 16 years and hope Blake has a nice career with

the only team he ever wanted to play for. I am sure George is still on Cloud 9.

• Upvote 1

Zach Olen, hands down. I'm tired of getting an ulcer everytime we try a field goal or extra point.

I agree. Of all the recruits we signed yesterday, I think Olen should have the biggest impact on the scoreboard. His ability to kickoff should help with field position. I believe the out of bounds kickoffs will be a thing of the past. I'm most excited about what he can bring to the program next season.

Zach Orr, for sure. He could legitimately play at schools in better conferences. The best get.

Jamison Hughes and D'Andre Wood - they actually signed to play at better schools and better conferences.

Zach Olen - because he's a fellow Berkner Ram!

I'll agree that Orr was the biggest get, just not the most important next season.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Admittedly, I know very little about the later commitments but here are those I currently look forward to seeing...

The linebackers

Forlando Johnson - A pre-season NJCAA All-American, I want to see if he is 100% healthy. If he is, there's a good chance that he's the starting middle linebacker.

Brad Graham - The 2009 NJCAA Defensive Player of the Year. I'm told that his motor runs all of the time. He'll bring even more enthusiasm, speed and energy to the linebacking corps.

Zach Orr - Former 1st team All-State player who packs a real punch in the middle. If totally healed I expect him to see significant playing time this year and our future at middle linebacker.

Defensive backs

Jamison Hughes - There's supposed to be a lot of ability in this former roster member of two FBS colleges. I want to see if he's as advertised. If he is, he's a possible starter although safety is not a weakness.

Steven Ford/D'Andre Wood - I know little of their abilities but I'm intrigued by their speed. Wood is supposed to be a lightning 4.32 and Ford is no slouch at 4.4. Could give us some new looks on defense (a lot of man coverage) and enable more blitzing.

Kicker - Zach Olen

This is a little more personal with me as he went to high school with two of my grandchildren and is known by my family. He has a great leg and is accurate in most wind conditions. Booming kickoffs. I've told this before but it's the only time I've ever seen anything like it. In the playoffs against Garland in 2008, Zach put the opening kickoff through the uprights! He had a 20 mph wind at his back but it was still impressive.

This may be the first time in my life that I have seen a kicker get so much publicity (with good reason) LOL.

The young man (Olen) could not have walked into a better situation. It won't take much for us to look at him like he is some kind of superhero.

We're a fickle bunch. The honeymoon won't last long.

• Upvote 1