Let Us Alone....

You can say anything you want. Obviously it bothers the crap out of you that others aren't singing your station's glory. Again, you don't seem to have the ability to handle the criticism that goes with your chosen profession. Some day when and if you have your own radio show I think you may indeed need counseling when the critics roll in.

Rick

Dude, we all get lots of negative email. That is something we all deal with on a daily basis and that is fine, everyone is entitled to and has their own opinion. I am my own worst critic. No matter what you or anyone else says or writes is going to make a goddamn bit of difference to me. I just think you are a board troll with a helmet that makes this a less than enjoyable forum to visit and participate in. And when the jerk that you are throws rocks at my place of employment you are f'ing sure I will hurl one back your way. Have a great off-season. I am sure you will be busy beating us down to no end.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, we all get lots of negative email. That is something we all deal with on a daily basis and that is fine, everyone is entitled to and has their own opinion. I am my own worst critic. No matter what you or anyone else says or writes is going to make a goddamn bit of difference to me. I just think you are a board troll with a helmet that makes this a less than enjoyable forum to visit and participate in. And when the jerk that you are throws rocks at my place of employment you are f'ing sure I will hurl one back your way. Have a great off-season. I am sure you will be busy beating us down to no end.

LOL! No, plenty of others are doing that just fine. And to think I didn't start this thread. Imagine if I had?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I could say the same about those who play dress up to draw attention to themselves at sporting events.

Its called being a fan and having fun. Dear Lord you would have crusified myself, Emmitt, and Sean had you seen us at the last NOB with the Pimp Robes. But everyone else loved it.

Its called being a fan and having fun. Dear Lord you would have crusified myself, Emmitt, and Sean had you seen us at the last NOB with the Pimp Robes. But everyone else loved it.

i don't know if he gets on here anymore but i remember j0nat8an used to have a picture of this as the wallpaper on his computer.

Lord, this is stupid.

Why do you want to dis one of the few people who will still stomach UNT football games in person, in Denton and on the road? The only reason he stands out is because we have so few fans. You see guys wearing hard hats and stuff at other schools and he's just one of several doing it.

It's unique. I'm just waiting for him to be like the Jets guy. That will rock.

jets_fans_gal_640.jpg

M-E-A-N G-R-E-E-N! Mean! Green! Mean! Green!

Rick,

Who was the first to wear the helmet to the games, you or the Jets guy? Did you get the idea from him? Just curious, no biggie.

I appreciate the post. I am glad that you don't simply chalk up what we do as garbage like Fire Helmet Jesus. Granted, we don't always talk sports....but we have mass appeal because of the non-sports and hi-jinks peppered in which has made our 9K watt station dominate in the demo of Men 25-54 compared to our 'all sports' competitors. We are #2 in the market for a reason and #1 in English speaking stations in our demo. No colleges get much play on our station outside of random scandals and catch-all segments involving the Big 12, so don't be upset that we never talk about UNT.

It's great for you that you're #2 in the market and tops among men 25-54, but why should that matter to sports fans who want to hear the sports talk station we thought we were getting in 1994? I had waited FOR YEARS for DFW to get its own all-sports station and was listening to KTCK from the first second it broadcast. I can still remember the first newspaper ads: "Food. Water. Shelter. Sports." For many years, The Ticket was a good mix of sports and other stuff, such as comic shtick. But in recent years, it feels to me like The Ticket is filled with people who grew up listening to The Ticket, not people who grew up following sports. The balance is off.

I don't know who you are, but I can't believe somebody at The Ticket would flip out like you have in this discussion over the word "garbage." Making fun of Rick because he wears a UNT fire helmet? Weak.

It's great for you that you're #2 in the market and tops among men 25-54, but why should that matter to sports fans who want to hear the sports talk station we thought we were getting in 1994? I had waited FOR YEARS for DFW to get its own all-sports station and was listening to KTCK from the first second it broadcast. I can still remember the first newspaper ads: "Food. Water. Shelter. Sports." For many years, The Ticket was a good mix of sports and other stuff, such as comic shtick. But in recent years, it feels to me like The Ticket is filled with people who grew up listening to The Ticket, not people who grew up following sports. The balance is off.

I agree, it's hard to listen to the ticket anymore. I enjoyed listening to it from day one. KTCK had some real good shtick like Coach Foolery. That was always very timely and funny stuff. But that was reasonably intelligent stuff. Now it's like listening to middle school fart jokes all day. But, the other sports stations in DFW are also poor.

I don't know who you are, but I can't believe somebody at The Ticket would flip out like you have in this discussion over the word "garbage." Making fun of Rick because he wears a UNT fire helmet? Weak.

Rick and I have a past of jabs back and forth. If it were anyone else I probably would have let it go.

MeanMag: According to ESPN OU finished with a 7-5 regular season record and won the Sun Bowl.

You're right, there it is plain as day... I thought it was odd that they only finished with 11 games...

Got the info from ESPN on this page...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls

Which includes all the bowl wins in their final records except for OU... Odd.

Why is anyone taking Craig Miller seriously about football anyway? He follows cycling. If there's a sport that's less exciting to watch than soccer, that's it - and Miller loves it.

Cycling is the one thing I like about Craig Miller bringing to the Ticket. He had pretty good comments during the Tour de France and pointed me in the direction of some very good stories and media outlets of the tour that I otherwise would not have known about.

So your saying it's ok to dismiss your station as less than relevant, interesting, entertaining, or talented as it would apply to sports talk radio, just don't be as direct about as I am?

Got it!

Rick

rick, someone once said something to the effect that don't get into an argument with someone who has more ink or airtime than you do. i think you are fighting a fire that you can't put out. ward

I've never understood the love for The Ticket, but I think that's part of the decline of actual compelling sports talk over the last decade or so. At some point the "personality" got bigger than the analysis. That's why you now go to a Sports Talk station and hear guys yammer on with inside jokes not related to sports for 10 minutes before plugging in your ipod.

And anytime you feel like your listeners need a nickname, it just comes across as masturbatory (by both parties).

I think that's part of the decline of actual compelling sports talk over the last decade or so. At some point the "personality" got bigger than the analysis. That's why you now go to a Sports Talk station and hear guys yammer on with inside jokes not related to sports for 10 minutes before plugging in your ipod.

You are right, there is not much analysis anymore. I will turn it on to hear what's up in the sports world but don't get much information. Just more hot air, name dropping, and shameless self-promotion. I will say that about all three of the "sports" radio stations in DFW. How many times do you hear the "personalities' asking each other for some statistic or fact from the game the night before and both not knowing the answer. Yet, they have their "educated" opinions about the game that we are supposed to want to hear? Not many will even bother to do their homework before going on air.

You are right, there is not much analysis anymore. I will turn it on to hear what's up in the sports world but don't get much information. Just more hot air, name dropping, and shameless self-promotion. I will say that about all three of the "sports" radio stations in DFW. How many times do you hear the "personalities' asking each other for some statistic or fact from the game the night before and both not knowing the answer. Yet, they have their "educated" opinions about the game that we are supposed to want to hear? Not many will even bother to do their homework before going on air.

Show prep is becoming a lost art.

I agree, it's hard to listen to the ticket anymore. I enjoyed listening to it from day one. KTCK had some real good shtick like Coach Foolery. That was always very timely and funny stuff. But that was reasonably intelligent stuff. Now it's like listening to middle school fart jokes all day. But, the other sports stations in DFW are also poor.

Exactly! And that's been going on for many years. My wife (a journalism major in college) used to say "this isn't sports talk, it's guy talk.....and 12 year old guy talk at that".

Of course she also listens to KRLD to get news while she preparing to go to work. On a daily basis I hear her say to the radio (often several times) "that's not news"! She would gladly kick them to the curb, but sadly, the alternative (WBAP) is worse.

Exactly! And that's been going on for many years. My wife (a journalism major in college) used to say "this isn't sports talk, it's guy talk.....and 12 year old guy talk at that".

Of course she also listens to KRLD to get news while she preparing to go to work. On a daily basis I hear her say to the radio (often several times) "that's not news"! She would gladly kick them to the curb, but sadly, the alternative (WBAP) is worse.

A friend who still works at KRLD(AM) puts it, "All news, all the time, all the same."