This Year Vs. Last Year Players

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

I started to skip over this one for a while since we have the most unique situation that I can recall...a glut of good running backs.

Cam Montgomery 5.5

Micah Mosley 5.4

Lance Dunbar 5.4

James Hamilton 5.5

Jeremi Mathis 5.2

There is no need to post the 2008 players at this position because they are the same. About the only problem is how you get four quality runners enough playing time.

Last year Mosley and Dunbar were hurt for a substantial part of the season. Hamilton was a late insertion. Montgomery carried most of the load and did a very creditable job. He is the best and deserves a lot of playing time. Here are the ypc averages of the four: Montgomery 5.46, Mosley 4.86, Dunbar 4.56, Hamilton 6.13.

All have very good to great speed. Mosley is the slowest with 4.53 forty speed. I can't recall his ever being tackled for a loss...he always get you something. From what I hear he will play in the goal line packages. Dunbar is the fastest with around 4.4 time in the forty.

All are capable receivers out of the backfield. In fact, I'd like to see Hamilton tried at wide receiver. I believe that he was moved from corner because of need and most of his high school numbers are on the offensive side.

Mathis is the only newcomer. He is slightly slower than the other four but is a hardnosed runner. His only chance of playing time as I see it is if he can make one of the special teams. I didn't list any non-scholarship athletes which would include the smallish but gutsy Weston Squier. I sure hope that he stays on the squad because we need his GPA.

This unit should be slighly better than last year because of experience. And, heaven forbid, should a quarterback go down and we become primarily a running team we have some comfort in four quality running backs.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

I may be wrong , but I think James Hamilton got moved back over the other side of the ball.

It may have been because of injuries , but walk on Matt Ponce got a lot of touches during the spring game if I recall.

2009 RBs > 2008 RBs due to a more experienced,deeper OL

Edited by NT03

Cam, Micah, and Lance! What a group of very good running backs! Size, speed, power, quickness- qualities

that only very good RB's have.

I see 3 RB's that are actually "starters" in their own way.

I would not be suprised to see all 3 RB's on the field at the same time in different formations and line ups. All 3 have their own individual talents, that can benefit this team.

The more weapons you have, the better the odds in the battles.

These 3 RB's are very good weapons to have on our side!

I don't think there are any questions about the guys we've got here. The talent is there, and even the younger guys have some good experience.

The only concern I have about the running game is how effective we can be with it out of the shotgun if the passing game struggles.

I don't think there are any questions about the guys we've got here. The talent is there, and even the younger guys have some good experience.

The only concern I have about the running game is how effective we can be with it out of the shotgun if the passing game struggles.

Dodge has said that UNT QB's will be taking snaps from under center this season when the situation warrants. I take him at his word on that, and wait to see which "situations warrant" such a set. It is going to be a good year to be a MEAN GREEN fan. Count on it!

Dodge has said that UNT QB's will be taking snaps from under center this season when the situation warrants. I take him at his word on that, and wait to see which "situations warrant" such a set. It is going to be a good year to be a MEAN GREEN fan. Count on it!

I know this will come off as negative, but there's no better way of saying it that I can think of. And it isn't a knock on Dodge, because pretty much everybody does it at this level.

I remember at least 3 offseasons where we heard from the old coach that we were planning on seriously opening up the passing game. Never happened.

Hopefully the snaps under center comment isn't just another example of coachspeak.

It's probably because we've had such great running backs in the past, and the style of offense we are running but....

aren't you guys overrating the running back position a bit?

kinda like the old saying, if you got two quarterbacks you got no quarterbacks. i want one to step up and be the guy and the others be productive situational backs.

like so many other areas of this team, i just don't know. however there's a reason we went 1-11 last year. every position can't be solid or that wouldn't happen.

four quality runners?

It's probably because we've had such great running backs in the past, and the style of offense we are running but....

kinda like the old saying, if you got two quarterbacks you got no quarterbacks. i want one to step up and be the guy and the others be productive situational backs.

like so many other areas of this team, i just don't know. however there's a reason we went 1-11 last year. every position can't be solid or that wouldn't happen.

four quality runners?

I'll answer your question with another question:

What's it like to hate America?

Seriously, that's a valid concern but count me in the group that is optimistic that we will get good production out of the backfield.

Well, I'll be the first to say Dodge doesn't really care about this so called "production" we're all expecting to see from the RB position to carry this offense & it's young QB. The RB is nothing more than a blocker in this system. Pass first, pass second, & then pass 3rd. Why do you guys think Micah Mosely got so much PT his first year, when we all knew the superior RB, #26, was a 2nd & third option at the position??? The injuries to Mosely & Dunbar forced Dodge to use Cam more, last season. Will he do the obvious and ride the workhorse?? History tells me, no. I hope he proves me wrong & Montgomery rushes for 1200+yds. It's no secret, Cam & Dunbar could be an awesome duo in the SBC, if the coach does decide to use them.

Edited by Got5onIt

Well, I'll be the first to say Dodge doesn't really care about this so called "production" we're all expecting to see from the RB position to carry this offense & it's young QB. The RB is nothing more than a blocker in this system. Pass first, pass second, & then pass 3rd. Why do you guys think Micah Mosely got so much PT his first year, when we all knew the superior RB, #26, was a 2nd & third option at the position??? The injuries to Mosely & Dunbar forced Dodge to use Cam more, last season. Will he do the obvious and ride the workhorse?? History tells me, no. I hope he proves me wrong & Montgomery rushes for 1200+yds. It's no secret, Cam & Dunbar could be an awesome duo in the SBC, if the coach does decide to use them.

Cam was a medical redshirt his first year here. Thats why you saw so much Mosely.

And one of the reasons why we threw the ball so much last season and the season before is because once down 30 pts, you better throw the ball to try and catch up.

Just for the hell of it, back to original intent of the thread. It is usually a good assumption that when you have all the players back at a position it should be significantly better. Does not always happen like Jarmario's sophomore year when NT had two national rushing champions returning. I think Montgomery is a very good back and if he were in DD's offense he easily could be a 1500 yard rusher. In a pass first offense and having to share the backfield with other good backs, he may not get to the overrated 1000 yard marker. I would not state that NT that next years backfield is the strongest in NT history, but it should be the deepest. Dunbar with his speed and reported size 5'9" 205 could also turn into something special. I have seen severl comments about the value of Mosley as a short yardage back. Yes, he could do that but he also has a very good ypc average and more speed than he gets credit for. Hamilton is one of the quickest players on the team and TD needs to get him on the field a lot more than last year. I still think he should be a wide receiver. Running back is loaded, why not try him at WR were there are no proven performers? Expanding on good point by Vito, it is ironic that Dodge has recruited such a good group of runningbacks and has yet to establish any of his recruits as a FB Diviison level receiver.

Cam was a medical redshirt his first year here. Thats why you saw so much Mosely.

And one of the reasons why we threw the ball so much last season and the season before is because once down 30 pts, you better throw the ball to try and catch up.

Funny, I don't ever remember this offense trying to establish a running game. It's just not designed to do that.

Edited by Got5onIt

Funny, I don't ever remember this offense trying to establish a running game. It's just not designed to do that.

Tough to establish a running game when you're down 21 after the 1st quarter. TD's history dating back to SLC show that he want's it to be 50/50 pass/run. That is if all things are working. All things haven't been working and in order to get back into or stay in a game UNT has had to throw the ball more than what TD would prefer.

This.

I'll answer your question with another question:

What's it like to hate America?

Seriously, that's a valid concern but count me in the group that is optimistic that we will get good production out of the backfield.

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait til the this year vs last year cheerleader discussion.

Saving my real venom for that thread.

I'll promise you this. If Lefty gets his way and develops this O line into the "Big Nasties" he built up during his last stint here you will see us start to run on 1st option more and even begin to dominate. The tools are there and I want to believe after seeing what happened the past two years to this offense and what happens when it doesn't move the chains consistently, plus what happened to Troy at LSU last year and not being able to move the clock, that we will see this change and this could be the year. I believe we will see the utilization of the TE more, and even a fullback now and then. I never thought I would ever see myself type how much I long to see just once us to have the ability to grind one out while we have our foot on someone's throat. It is so demoralizing to the opposing defense when they desperately need to kill the clock, get the ball back but can't no matter what they try

Rick

Funny, Last year when Cam was healthy, Micah was the starter until he was injured. Now don't get me wrong, I hope both Cam and Micah have great years, but don't count Micah out as the workhorse back until after the season starts.

Funny, Last year when Cam was healthy, Micah was the starter until he was injured. Now don't get me wrong, I hope both Cam and Micah have great years, but don't count Micah out as the workhorse back until after the season starts.

I think Mosely is the best blocker of the 3. When your RB is designed to be nothing more than a blocker, guess who starts? He doesn't have the quick first step or explosiveness Cam & Lance possess.

I think Mosely is the best blocker of the 3. When your RB is designed to be nothing more than a blocker, guess who starts? He doesn't have the quick first step or explosiveness Cam & Lance possess.

I dont think the running back position is designed to be 'nothing more than a blocker'. However, his explosiveness and speed do not help when you need an extra second or two to get the ball off. Happens in the NFL all the time. There are guys who can run the ball, but are not the best at the running back position because they are not as good blockers.

Also, it is possible to run from the shotgun a la WVU and Michigan. It is harder to do and takes a lot of work. I also think that KidDodge's mobility will help our offense control the ball and clock a little more, which is what a running game does. If he can turn what otherwise would have been a sack or a throwaway into a 2 or 3 yard scramble or even a 5 yd broken-play dump off we will be better.

Now, it is also possible to get more than one of these guys into the game at the same time. If they are so explosive that we lose out when one guy is not on the field we should get them to return kicks, punts, put one at wideout etc. I think PapaDodge has said that they will do some of that.

I am tired of hearing how going under center or brining in a TE will be THE answer. Bullshit. In that thread about the qb someone mentioned how we scored 20 points a game off dink and dunk 3 yd gains. I can live with that. I know why Dodge went to the ball control type offense rather than that chuck-it-deep game: our defense sucked. He got conservative because he was playing the odds. If our defense could get a turnover, get a lucky stop, something and our offense could be mistake-free-kick a field goal team we would have a chance. So I don't blame the dude. After trying to outscore everyone and failing the year previous, he tried something different.

Guest GrayEagleOne

four quality runners?

I guess we could be wrong but I don't think so. All three have averaged around 5 yards per carry for their careers. All have 4.4 - 4.5 forty speed. All have been highly rated by Rivals. The coaching staff thinks that this is a position of strength...talented and deep.

Montgomery has the best average yards per carry of SBC returning backs who carried more than 100 times last year. I don't believe that Mosley has lost a yard on any carry yet. Dunbar and Hamilton have produced when called upon.

Montgomery will get the most playing time and the others inserted where situations call for their talents. Injuries took two out of the equation last year but all are healthy now. For varying reasons they were underutilized last year. There are no guaranties that won't happen again this year but I believe that we'll see a more balanced attack.

Micah should have red shirted last season. He was waised and played with a bad wing.

Micah has more heart than others and definitely blocks better.

Dodge will unfortunately use him sparingly, in my opinion. Dunbar could be special, real special.

UNT knocks off ball state.

I had a dream that this was true, a week or so ago. Someone else mentioned, in another thread, also having that dream. It was so real, I can remember being stunned that we had won.

Honestly, watching Ball State play Tulsa last year, I was struck by how similar they looked to us against the same team. Yes, they were dealing with cold rainy weather, wherever that bowl game was played, but so was Tulsa.