Fw *telegram Excerpts On Vizza New Info

OldTimer

Vizza still has not talked with Coach Dodge...just his father. "It's kind of confusing to me to start 20 consecutive games and then quit the team. H e gave us every indication he was coming back after the season" based on Todd Ford's post season exit interview with him...Vizza told Ford he would be back.

Dibrell is quoted as saying "I know there are rumors floating arouond but we're not transferring somewhere together...I don't know Gios's plans but I'm staying at NT as a student...I don't know if he's playing football anymore or not...we haven't talked"

Dodge said "Vizza will be given a conditional release that prevents him from signing with an SBC team or anyone on NT 's schedule through the 2011 season"

...no quote but article stated...As a true freshman Vizza won UNT's starting job five games into the 20078 season. UNT 3-21 under Dodge sstruggled with inconsistency, injuries and deflections...many at receiver....and Vizza seemed to regress in his decision making.

Dodge stated he plans to have a 4th QB on ship by fall camp in August...I'm not going to back out on anyone "(speaking about current ship offers I would believe)

My take on this for the first time....I am sorry that Vizza is leaving to me this hurts NT...this article and quotes by Dibrell are not consistent with posts on this board that Dibrell had been trying to talk Vizza into leaving with him to play elsewhere. I won't go so far as calling Vizza a quiter...but I do not respect the timing of his decision....too late for NT to sign a JC quarter back for mid term recruiting this season as NT has already committed the 5 mid term ships which leaves NT unable to recruit a JC QB to come in for spring training.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Dodge has several former high school quarterbacks on the roster. Sophomores Chase Baine and James Hamilton could train at the position in spring practice. UNT can’t sign a junior-college quarterback in time for spring practice, as five available mid-year transfer spots are filled."

I being from Lake Dallas have seen Baine play. I hope Coach Dodge gives him a chance to show what he can do.

I found more info on the other site.

http://www.untfootball.net/24baine.html

I cant wait to see all this play out......I will be there on APRIL 4th.

Go mean green !!!!!

Vizza has been shopping around and talking to other programs,

behind the backs of the coaching staff and his teammates, to hedge

his options, before he announced he was quiting/transfering.

A couple of Big 12 programs and a several 1AA programs are

of high interest, or maybe which school has the best deal available.

I am sure there will be no competition at which ever school

Vizza chooses. Maybe Vizza will be the only rooster in the barn yard

the next time around.

Why wait until the middle of January to announce your intentions

that you have been working on behind closed doors?

Thanks for the 2 years here at NT. Good luck to you!

"Quiters never win and winners never quit"

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!"

"Too much heat in the kitchen, then get out!"

Vizza has been shopping around and talking to other programs,

behind the backs of the coaching staff and his teammates, to hedge

his options, before he announced he was quiting/transfering.

A couple of Big 12 programs and a several 1AA programs are

of high interest, or maybe which school has the best deal available.

I am sure there will be no competition at which ever school

Vizza chooses. Maybe Vizza will be the only rooster in the barn yard

the next time around.

Why wait until the middle of January to announce your intentions

that you have been working on behind closed doors?

Thanks for the 2 years here at NT. Good luck to you!

"Quiters never win and winners never quit"

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!"

"Too much heat in the kitchen, then get out!"

I see your point and agree with it to some degree, but if you're going to quit your job, don't you usually explore the market some while using vacation days and lunch breaks to your advantage? Is this worth ripping him over on top of everything else?

Never seen a conditional release before.

Seriously? Just about every D-1 release is conditional. Recently there was a QB, in the SEC I think, that asked to be released. He was granted his release but the list of schools he could not transfer to was lengthy, 20+ I think. There was much hell raised as and I believe the coach and AD rethought things and released him with the condition he not transfer to any Florida school and maybe Alabama?

Real life, out the work place, is a different matter. Making a

living and providing for your family is your priority. Do you

think I tell my employer about every head hunter or company

interested in me? No way. I will explore the options with a new

opportunity, the job, and the pay scale. This does not mean

I will take the opportunity. Now the other side of this.

If I do accept another position, I will give my employer, the

proper notice of my decision to leave my current position.

Give my employer the time to replace my position, to train

the new person, and time for the transition of personell.

I am saying, why did Vizza wait until the the final few weeks

of recruiting, to announce he was quiting/transfering the

NT program? Why not meet with Coach Dodge to discuss

his future at NT? Was Vizza afraid he would be fired, lose

his scholarship? Why would that matter? Vizza had already

made up his mind about quiting/transfering.

I have stated before, Vizza is a very good QB, and played

with more toughness and determination than I have seen in

a long time. Vizza is a hell of a QB! Excelled at Dodgeball!

I will never forget the Navy game! 5200 yds and 32 TD's in

2 years, FOY in the SBC! Now, suddenly Vizza will throw all

these accomplishments away! Geez!

The QB positon is open now, with Riley the favorite. I am not

counting out Nathan Tune either. I want the best QB runing the

team. If Riley wins, then NT football is his show, and the team

will follow. Maybe with Vizza gone, this action will be a greater

benefit to the players, by knowing who is the # 1 QB!

And a very good one at that!

well, chase sure was a stud QB in high school. hope he gets a fair shake in the spring. a true dual threat QB. this spring should be interesting.

I'm still hoping that this young man takes a shot at being in the QB rotation.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...p;Q_SEASON=2008

I agree that Chase Baine should give it a shot too.

Edited by SilverEagle

We have so many potential hidden gems in our locker room, it just saddens me to think about how this is all playing out.

I'll be behind whomever takes snaps.

He will get his shot. I think Nathan may now reconsider his decision to leave, naw, I doubt it. The way Dodge treated Nathan in the fall was borderline criminal and a huge Slap in his face. Nathan will never play and he knows it. Dodge showed it by giving his son most of the reps behind Gio in November when he was supposedly hurt. The team is not behind that kid.

Implying someone knows who we will be playing through the 2011 season.

Dodge putting stipulations is ridiculous, it would be awesome for Gio to line up against the Mean Green in two seasons. That would be great for all concerned. Honestly, what a deal that would be.

Why would dodge put any on him? what is the point? why hold back a young person?

Dodge putting stipulations is ridiculous, it would be awesome for Gio to line up against the Mean Green in two seasons. That would be great for all concerned. Honestly, what a deal that would be.

Why would dodge put any on him? what is the point? why hold back a young person?

Why not? If its for the better of the program. He's a good player and we don't need to see him lining up opposite of us.

You don't want the kid to comeback and bite you in the a$$ through play or knowledge of the offensive system. Stipulations are very common when scholarship releases are granted. I don't think it's unreasonable to not allow him to transfer to any SBC school. Anything other than that would be unnecessary and probably more out of spite than anything.

This is a common practice used in many transfer cases - especially for starters. It is not done in spite or meanness - it's a way to protect a time and money investment (hopefully we all realize by know that college athletics is truly a business of sorts).

I would guess that all SBC schools would be listed - and possibly some local D1 schools.

I have to think that Vizza and his family were well aware of this when they made their decision.

Here are a few thoughts on Vizza.

1. Vizza was one of the few, if not only, player who preferred to live off

campus. The players say he didn't hang with them but hung with kids

not on the team. This was not the "family" closeness that Dodge is

trying to build.

2. Vizza did not talk with Dodge originally. His father had a lot to do with

this decision because he feels his son is "big time" talent.

3. According to some of the players, and one unnamed coach, Vizza could

hear Riley's footsteps for the starting role and knows that Riley has the

backing of most of the players.

Life goes on. We need a stronger offensive and defensive line. Everything

will work out with a new QB IF he stays healthy.

I see it this way:

Vizza has a right to go anywhere he wants, whenever he wants. Sure there are questions of loyalty etc, but it is not like we are talking about war here. He is leaving one school to go to another because he wants to play football on a better team. The guy invested two years into this team/school/program. I don't think he was a quitter. He didn't leave mid-season or anything, like some guys did. Or in spring practice. He left with two months before everyone gets together for practice, with two guys left to fill his place. One of those guys has been in the system since he was little.

Also, it really is not a big deal for the one guy to live off campus. It is not like that means he is forever separated from the team. Just because he wasn't good buddies with everyone doesn't mean he couldn't make a good QB or be a leader. Sure, it can help in a way, but what really inspires guys is seeing a dude that is resilient and dedicated, and shows determination.

I see it this way:

Vizza has a right to go anywhere he wants, whenever he wants. Sure there are questions of loyalty etc, but it is not like we are talking about war here. He is leaving one school to go to another because he wants to play football on a better team. The guy invested two years into this team/school/program. I don't think he was a quitter. He didn't leave mid-season or anything, like some guys did. Or in spring practice. He left with two months before everyone gets together for practice, with two guys left to fill his place. One of those guys has been in the system since he was little.

Also, it really is not a big deal for the one guy to live off campus. It is not like that means he is forever separated from the team. Just because he wasn't good buddies with everyone doesn't mean he couldn't make a good QB or be a leader. Sure, it can help in a way, but what really inspires guys is seeing a dude that is resilient and dedicated, and shows determination.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

How do you project Riley will do next year?

I think I deserve some of this MVP credit for drawing him out of his December slumber.

Who? I believe I posted his blog and got him active on the board again. I don't seek accolades. The smiles on all the children's faces is much more valuable to me.