Choosing Dodge Was A Bold But Risky Choice

HoustonEagle

I personally believe that you can't always play it safe. You have to take some shots and when R.V. picked Dodge as our Head Coach we did just that. Sadly I am now convinced that his selection is doomed to failure. I like so many others have said you must give a coach 4 yrs. We all know the reasons why that should typically be the case. This is not a typical situation. This team is not improving. This team is showing no signs of life. There are no corners being turned. No light at the end of the tunnel. We will not bring in recruits that will miraculously close a 45-50 point differential because we should not be losing that bad with the players we have now.

You do not have to be concerned about firing Dodge after two years when the product is this bad on the field. There will be a line of coaches looking to fill the vacancy. They will all understand the extenuating circumstances around his early dismissal. On top of that we have newly approved funding by the student body and a new stadium on the way. The state of affairs for UNT athletics is strong.

I have no doubt Coach Dodge is a good man. I was really excited with his hire. With that being said, we do not live in a world of rainbows and unicorns. When you are so completely over matched in your job you get fired.

And by all means Mr. Dodge prove me wrong! I will eat no crow because that is disgusting. I will on the other hand be more than happy to write one of those cool apology post we like so much here on GoMeanGreen.com

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally believe that you can't always play it safe. You have to take some shots and when R.V. picked Dodge as our Head Coach we did just that. Sadly I am now convinced that his selection is doomed to failure. I like so many others have said you must give a coach 4 yrs. We all know the reasons why that should typically be the case. This is not a typical situation. This team is not improving. This team is showing no signs of life. There are no corners being turned. No light at the end of the tunnel. We will not bring in recruits that will miraculously close a 45-50 point differential because we should not be losing that bad with the players we have now.

You do not have to be concerned about firing Dodge after two years when the product is this bad on the field. There will be a line of coaches looking to fill the vacancy. They will all understand the extenuating circumstances around his early dismissal. On top of that we have newly approved funding by the student body and a new stadium on the way. The state of affairs for UNT athletics is strong.

I have no doubt Coach Dodge is a good man. I was really excited with his hire. With that being said, we do not live in a world of rainbows and unicorns. When you are so completely over matched in your job you get fired.

And by all means Mr. Dodge prove me wrong! I will eat no crow because that is disgusting. I will on the other hand be more than happy to write one of those cool apology post we like so much here on GoMeanGreen.com

We'll never know how many were interested two years ago, but I do know of one.

I was told by a reliable source that TD annoyed a lot of college coaches out there when TD declared right after he was hired that "coaching is coaching regardless of the level".

Apparently not. B)

Might want to check with Dr. B before being so certain about that "new stadium on the way". She said recently the alumnae are going to have to put up their par. Also, I am not sure that Rick V will survive if changes are made, and it could be by his choice if his hand is forced by the administration, just my opinion. I think he way oversold this deal, so he will undoubtedly lose a lot of credibilility if he stays. Anyway, I think until some changes are made, and there is some marked improvement, I think this season and everything that has happened is a major setback for the stadium project. I mean, if you had a spare Mil or 2, would you invest in this company as it stands right now?

Guess we shoulda hired that other high school coach, the one that is starting to turn around Baylor's program and did turn around Houston's program. Damn bad luck.

We'll never know how many were interested two years ago, but I do know of one.

I was told by a reliable source that TD annoyed a lot of college coaches out there when TD declared right after he was hired that "coaching is coaching regardless of the level".

Apparently not. B)

Silver, please give an example of one. Tell us who really out in the realms of college football gives a damn what anybody here at good ole UNT has to say.

I can deal with Dodge being bad. But, I can't deal with him being bad and arrogant. His arrogance won't allow him to learn anything....because he thinks he already knows every damn thing.

Case in point: As bad as we've been two years in a row....and before each season has ended, he announces that his entire staff will be back. (Last year, he was forced to fire Mendoza).

So, if he thinks his whole staff should be back after years like these two...what does that tell you? That he thinks everything that is being done by him and his staff is being done just right. No changes necessary.

Only an idiot would think that this year's special teams coach...should be back. Our special teams this year, may be the worst I've ever seen in football....on any level.

So bring back your entire staff, Todd. After all ....you're the greatest 3-20 coach in the history of college football.

Guess we shoulda hired that other high school coach, the one that is starting to turn around Baylor's program and did turn around Houston's program. Damn bad luck.

But remember, he got some experience at Tech first. I think if TD had some college coahcing experience (I now realize '92 with Dennis Parker does not count, that was basically training with another high school coach ), maybe the outcome would have been different.

Given the early season results, I did not expect any victories as this season came to a close. But, I had hoped to see some improvement in the score differentials in these last 3 games.

We have been blown out early the last 3 weeks by Sun Belt teams. And, things would have been a lot worse if Troy, FAU and MTSU would not have called off the dogs on us.

We are a long, long way from even being competitive against lower ranked D1 teams. The WKU game was special and a gutsy win by our guys. But, the truth is we were outplayed in that one also and only a great play at the end saved the victory. Outside of the WKU game, we have not even been close to being competitive.

My faith in the future is waning :disgust:

Lets just get this season over with. Hopefully, we can keep things competitive in our last home game for at least the 1st quarter (that is not sarcasm, but the sad truth).

I can deal with Dodge being bad. But, I can't deal with him being bad and arrogant. His arrogance won't allow him to learn anything....because he thinks he already knows every damn thing.

Case in point: As bad as we've been two years in a row....and before each season has ended, he announces that his entire staff will be back. (Last year, he was forced to fire Mendoza).

So, if he thinks his whole staff should be back after years like these two...what does that tell you? That he thinks everything that is being done by him and his staff is being done just right. No changes necessary.

Only an idiot would think that this year's special teams coach...should be back. Our special teams this year, may be the worst I've ever seen in football....on any level.

So bring back your entire staff, Todd. After all ....you're the greatest 3-20 coach in the history of college football.

I must admit, I'm one of those guys that believe a coach needs four years to get his program on track. But I was also shocked by his statement that all of the coaching staff would be back. I can understand that he wouldn't want to distract the team with talk of coaching changes, but it would have been smarter to avoid the topic all together then to give that answer. Please believe me. I want him to succeed, I want North Texas to be a great football team, but we gave up over 40 yards per kickoff tonight, and went 50% on our extra point attempts. This isn't the start of the season anymore. If he honestly thinks we don't need some changes in the coaching staff, then I don't know how he plans to turn this program around. I've been watching college football for over 30 years, and have never seen any team have a season this bad, both on and off the field. There is no substitute for winning. Winning isn't everything, but losing ain't squat.

I was one of those guys who was glad he came to UNT, and I'll support him and this team, but he's not making it easy. I'll cut my Thanksgiving short down in Galveston and be back for the Arkansas State game to support the team during it's lose. Casey and the other seniors deserve it. I just wishes they could go out with a win.

Go (as best we can) Mean Green!!!

Silver, please give an example of one. Tell us who really out in the realms of college football gives a damn what anybody here at good ole UNT has to say.

It isn't a matter of what us fans at North Texas have to say, it's what TD had to say. When he said that "coaching is coaching regardless of the level", he basically insulted and pissed-off a lot of coaches out there...........who have coached in college for a long time.

It's been suggested to me that that's why we've had the score run up on us a lot......starting with OU.

It isn't a matter of what us fans at North Texas have to say, it's what TD had to say. When he said that "coaching is coaching regardless of the level", he basically insulted and pissed-off a lot of coaches out there...........who have coached in college for a long time.

It's been suggested to me that that's why we've had the score run up on us a lot......starting with OU.

Wow, that's a good point. I haven't though about that. ...

If we took out a full page apology in SI and ESPN would they stop running up the scores?! I'd donate to that fund.

If you believed Dickey needed to go, then the Dodge hire made sense.

At the time Dodge hire appeared to be a little risk, high reward hire. Exciting offense, recruiting connections, created a buzz.

There were two big questions about hiring Dodge.

1. Could he get college level assistant coaches.

2. Could he really recruit.

Now that the Dodge era has brought the program to a historic low, the question is not does this guy no what he's doing, but what can we do with him.

I now say let Dodge stick it out for year three. That way we at least get another batch of recruits out of him. I'm not sure anyone can get us out of this situation, so we might as well leave Dodge at the helm, while RV shops for a new coach.

At the time Dodge hire appeared to be a little risk, high reward hire. Exciting offense, recruiting connections, created a buzz.

Now that the Dodge era has brought the program to a historic low, the question is not does this guy no what he's doing, but what can we do with him.

I now say let Dodge stick it out for year three. That way we at least get another batch of recruits out of him. I'm not sure anyone can get us out of this situation, so we might as well leave Dodge at the helm, while RV shops for a new coach.

Well get ready then for another VERY long season next year. This team will do good to win 4 games next year, and that might just be a stretch.

Some good points. I just don't see some miracle turnaround happening in year 3. Starting next season with undefeated Ball State and Alabama looks like 0-2. I predict we'll be posting these same threads a year from now, another year lost for the next new guy to adapt his "football plan". :(

Odd, but good points. I'm going to go out on a limb and say don't underestimate potential recruits & their parents. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see he's on the hot seat. Inevitable coaching changes can be a real turnoff. How many recruits will NT be losing out on if it brings back the "Genius"? I think a new head coach can be a real selling point for the program when compared to a 3-20 one.

Really I'm not defending Dodge here, but honestly, I think that teams have tried to NOT run up the score against us this year, as often as not. Or maybe that's even more damnable, teams feeling sorry for us. Wasn't MTSU playing a quarterback late in the game who didn't even have a number? And some plays a coach can't really tell a player not to make, like kickoff returns for touchdowns. I think that a more realistic theory for teams like OU is that margin of victory is part of the BCS rankings formula, therefore rewarding running up the score.

Really I'm not defending Dodge here, but honestly, I think that teams have tried to NOT run up the score against us this year, as often as not. Or maybe that's even more damnable, teams feeling sorry for us. Wasn't MTSU playing a quarterback late in the game who didn't even have a number? And some plays a coach can't really tell a player not to make, like kickoff returns for touchdowns. I think that a more realistic theory for teams like OU is that margin of victory is part of the BCS rankings formula, therefore rewarding running up the score.

Unfortunately you are correct, if anything opposing coaches have been kind to NT. I can't think of a team with a big lead that has not called off the dogs. Rice could have easily put a 100 on NT and the Muts and others could have added two or three tds if they had not substituted freely and not limited their play selections.

Unfortunately you are correct, if anything opposing coaches have been kind to NT. I can't think of a team with a big lead that has not called off the dogs. Rice could have easily put a 100 on NT and the Muts and others could have added two or three tds if they had not substituted freely and not limited their play selections.

You know, I was thinking about that last night, and I'd almost be pissed off as an opposing fan watching UNT this year. Even if my team was up by 30-40 points at half time, I'd be pissed that I paid to see an entire football game, not 20 minutes of scrimmage against a team less challenging than my own practice squad.

You know, I was thinking about that last night, and I'd almost be pissed off as an opposing fan watching UNT this year. Even if my team was up by 30-40 points at half time, I'd be pissed that I paid to see an entire football game, not 20 minutes of scrimmage against a team less challenging than my own practice squad.

I think we can all agree. The wheels aren't just off, but the old Mean Green Machine is up on blocks and we can't get a tow. What can we really do about this situation?

Avery is one of the greatest NBA basketball coaches ever!

Romo is as good a Favre or Staubach or better.

Fire Dodge, he won't get it done at UNT!

What's the common thread? These opinions were formed way too early!

I believe Dodge can turn the program around. I'm sure his contract will not get an extension if we don't start performing, but I have every belief that his contract will be honored (i.e. 3 more years). If he doesn't, I have no problem giving the reigns to someone else.