Final Thoughts On The Campaign And Vote

UNTflyer

First, I am impressed by our 14-point margin of victory. We felt that a low turnout would mean victory, and a high turnout would mean certain defeat. It turned out to be the opposite.

Early in the week, we were worried. The media attention, particularly the radio news stations, portrayed the student vote in a negative way, that there was overwhelming opposition. With the poor performance of the football team, I truly felt we were going to lose.

At about mid-week as I spoke to several residence halls and student groups I got the sense that it was going to be close. Scores of students were telling me they voted "YES" and very few said they voted "NO". Still, I was preparing myself for failure as I was publicly optimistic of victory. I was very concerned about the issues with online voting, and hoped that our support did not become frustrated.

Then, we heard right here on this message board that early reports were not good. The Greeks didn't show up in the numbers we hoped, and I spent most of Friday and Saturday morning off the board. Then Saturday afternoon, Troy and Brett leaked that the vote passed.

I truly did not know the official outcome until we all heard RV on the radio. Were SGA officials afraid I would leak the news? Probably. But I was thrilled to learn the news with my GoMeanGreen.com family.

I'll be honest, if the vote failed I don't know if I would have it in me to keep up the fight in the spring. This campaign has taken 100s of hours of my personal time, and my emotional investment has taken its toll on my professional and school work, not to mention my newlywed time with my lovely new wife, who is also a UNT alum.

I love this school. I have given it my all. Now I turn my efforts to other issues in the Senate. I will continue to work in athletics by helping promote the Pit Crew and other spirit organizations, and in areas of student need.

I want to thank everyone here for their support, advice, criticism, encouragement, and most importantly the financial assistance for "Students for a New Stadium". I will bring our leftover campaign signs to the Homecoming tailgate, and everyone is free to take one as a souvenir of the most important student referendum in the history of the university.

From the bottom of my big green heart, thank you.

First, I am impressed by our 14-point margin of victory. We felt that a low turnout would mean victory, and a high turnout would mean certain defeat. It turned out to be the opposite.

Early in the week, we were worried. The media attention, particularly the radio news stations, portrayed the student vote in a negative way, that there was overwhelming opposition. With the poor performance of the football team, I truly felt we were going to lose.

At about mid-week as I spoke to several residence halls and student groups I got the sense that it was going to be close. Scores of students were telling me they voted "YES" and very few said they voted "NO". Still, I was preparing myself for failure as I was publicly optimistic of victory. I was very concerned about the issues with online voting, and hoped that our support did not become frustrated.

Then, we heard right here on this message board that early reports were not good. The Greeks didn't show up in the numbers we hoped, and I spent most of Friday and Saturday morning off the board. Then Saturday afternoon, Troy and Brett leaked that the vote passed.

I truly did not know the official outcome until we all heard RV on the radio. Were SGA officials afraid I would leak the news? Probably. But I was thrilled to learn the news with my GoMeanGreen.com family.

I'll be honest, if the vote failed I don't know if I would have it in me to keep up the fight in the spring. This campaign has taken 100s of hours of my personal time, and my emotional investment has taken its toll on my professional and school work, not to mention my newlywed time with my lovely new wife, who is also a UNT alum.

I love this school. I have given it my all. Now I turn my efforts to other issues in the Senate. I will continue to work in athletics by helping promote the Pit Crew and other spirit organizations, and in areas of student need.

I want to thank everyone here for their support, advice, criticism, encouragement, and most importantly the financial assistance for "Students for a New Stadium". I will bring our leftover campaign signs to the Homecoming tailgate, and everyone is free to take one as a souvenir of the most important student referendum in the history of the university.

Well, I for one, would certainly like to meet you personally and shake your hand for a job well done. I can't imagine all the time, effort, joy, and frustruations that went into this vote. If you let me know where you'll be tailgating during homecoming, I'd certainly like have your beer and eats covered for the afternoon. What beer do you drink and I'll have a cooler full ready for you.

Thank you, UNTFlyer, for a job well done. Even though most of us have never met you personally, we would all love to shake your hand and congratulate you on what you and all of the others that worked for this project have accomplished.

How about starting a GoMeanGreen.com "Mean Green Fan of the Year" award? It can be for an individual fan who does the most, either financially, through sweat equity, or otherwise, for the Mean Green nation. I nominate UNTFlyer.

How about starting a GoMeanGreen.com "Mean Green Fan of the Year" award? It can be for an individual fan who does the most, either financially, through sweat equity, or otherwise, for the Mean Green nation. I nominate UNTFlyer.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the school's Green Glory Award. He needs to be nominated with the proper letter of support which shouldn't be hard to find from the people on this board.

Edited by GMoney

Waterless urinal? Kettle corn stand? Generator? Maybe RV could put together a half time tribute video for Flyer?

:lol:

I don't know, but Flyer seemed to be the flag bearer for the "yes" vote. He wrote editorials, spoke to groups, etc.. He totally went full out for something that will be appreciated by thousands in the NT family for generations to come.

Waterless urinal? Kettle corn stand? Generator? Maybe RV could put together a half time tribute video for Flyer?

Consolidation is the name of this game.

Lets reserve a storage room for him. Put his name on it. If people want a tour, athletics can take you inside to get some kettle corn and take a piss. Light generated in the room by a visible generator, all the while the video is looped on a screen strategically place above the no-flusher.

We'd have to find a way to mute the noise from the generator, though: visitors must be able to hear the video's audio (as soon as they are aware of it and paying attention)

And, IIRC, 40,000 gallons of water will be saved per year. In Flyer's honor, of course.

Edited by greenminer

Great Job – Flyer!!!

This is just the beginning though.

We’re going to have to go through this all over again in the next 3-5 years if we want to remain competitive and keep pace with schools like Texas State and UTSA.

Not if the BOR starts upping the fee $1 a year for the next 5 years after enacted

Great Job – Flyer!!!

This is just the beginning though.

We’re going to have to go through this all over again in the next 3-5 years if we want to remain competitive and keep pace with schools like Texas State and UTSA.

I personally don't think there is a comparison with Texas State and UTSA. I believe we are better than both schools. (Just my opinion though) Hopefully, if the school grows in the direction anticipated and we have a great communication plan...we can market ourselves away from those schools.

It depends on how they set up the designated fee. Some are increase-able, like the SSF, and some are not, at least not in the same way. Haha, I remember I was packing my stuff after finals my freshman year and Eric Roman called-it was a phone-vote for SGA to increase the Health Center fee.

Edit: Flyer, I think he meant having an increase vote by students.

So it's being set as a standard yet separate SSF, then, right?

Edited by JesseMartin

Can't put it into words what you and your fellow students have done for this university.

In regards to you and your personal efforts you need to find me Friday night at Bonfire or saturday and I'll P.M. you the information.

It is my sincere hope that all alumni will join me saturday to thank these students for erasing 40 years of apathy. More on this later, stay tuned.

Rick

So it's being set as a standard yet separate SSF, then, right?

No, it is a dedicated athletics fee. By state law, such a fee may be increased at the discretion of the BOR by no more than 10% a year without a student vote.

If the BOR raised it by the maximum amount each year, here's how it will look:

2011 10.00

2012 11.00

2013 12.10

2014 13.31

2015 14.64

2016 16.11

2017 17.72

2018 19.49

2019 20.00

Flyer, my thanks to you is for all of the long time (and long suffering) alumni who have hoped for decades that something like this would finally come to pass.

People like GrayEagleone, GGII, and Oldtimer now have hope that they will finally see the venue for North Texas football that the program deserves. These are the guys that have been here for North Texas, (rain or shine), for decades. I look forward to all of them being able to enjoy as many seasons as possible in this great new facility.

Great job! :thumbsup:

Flyer,

We met last year as apart of the Pit Crew and i knew that you would lead us to a new stadium. Without you, this thing would have never happened and i want to thank you.... i tried my best to help push your message and what you have done will be remembered at UNT for years....Thanks Again

Tony

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

Flyer,

We met last year as apart of the Pit Crew and i knew that you would lead us to a new stadium. Without you, this thing would have never happened and i want to thank you.... i tried my best to help push your message and what you have done will be remembered at UNT for years....Thanks Again

Tony

And you, sir, are doing a fine job with the Victory Pound! I will be nominating your group to sit in the upgraded student section for the first game.

Folks, this is going to be a watershed moment for UNT athletics. Our freshmen are going to watch that stadium as it progresses in construction, and will feel like they are part of the future. Not only is this good for athletics, this is going to be good for alumni spirit.

No, it is a dedicated athletics fee. By state law, such a fee may be increased at the discretion of the BOR by no more than 10% a year without a student vote.

If the BOR raised it by the maximum amount each year, here's how it will look:

2011 10.00

2012 11.00

2013 12.10

2014 13.31

2015 14.64

2016 16.11

2017 17.72

2018 19.49

2019 20.00

Well that’s great news but wouldn’t the same be true for Texas State and UTSA?

UTSA is at $20 per credit hour and Texas State is moving to $20 per credit hour over the next five years.

It appears that if we wait for the BOR to increase our fees it will take us almost twice as long as Texas State to get to $20 per hour.

This vote was a big first step and you deserve the majority of the credit.

I just hope RV and the administration understand that we can’t rest now.

I think they need to be formulating a plan right now to keep up and stay ahead of schools like that.

I'm just curious, is there anything prohibiting another vote in 2-3 years?

I would think another vote to increase the fee would be needed at some point after the stadium is built.

Thanks Flyer and all the people that had a hand in this. It is students like you that can and will make this university a force to be reckoned with. I have been following the Mean Green since my first semester 15 seasons ago. I can remember hearing about a new stadium "right around the corner" from day one, and now it is really coming to fruition. I can hardly beleive it is true. I am happy for myself but I am truly truly happy that people such as GrayEagle, GreenGrenade, SilverEagle, Oldtimer, Plumm, FFR, SUE, Emmitt, Harry, Cerebus, etc... are finally seeing their Mean Green dreams come true. Some of these guys have been around longer than most of us have been alive. We have all suffered the snickers, the stares, the ridicule all for being fans of the Mean Green. All of the suffering will make it all the more sweet to walk up the tunnel and to our seats at the new stadium. I think you will see alot of tears, alot of handshakes, and alot of smiles that day.

Is it really true?