Buying A Daily Ad To Support The Stadium Vote

rcade

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if it is a third party doing it? What can the university do?

"All parties that wish to campaign for or against a referendum must register with the Election Board prior to campaigning on campus. "

"The University and all parties/organizations may spend up to $1,000 campaigning in regard to a student referendum. "

They could very well invalidate the results of the referendum.

Edited by UNTflyer

Greenjoe...when will I see your guest editorial? I think you would make a great guest. I thought the editorial from the paper was WAY OFF BASE and just another example of the "town and gown gap" in Denton. I believe the DRC editor is a grad of Oklahoma State and I can assure you that OSU students pay more for football tickets and student athletic fees than do the students at UNT.

If any add is purchased in either the DRC or the NTD, may I suggest that whoever organizes this add list the alums responsible for the add and the monitary commitment that each of these alums is prepared to make to the new stadium once the students approve the new fee. This would show the students that we are not trying to put the entire financial burden on them and are putting our own money where our mouth is. I would suggest that each financial commitment be at least twice the amount of the fee that a new student would pay in 2011 ($210 for 30 hours???). I am willing to help pay for an add and give a pretty decent committment for the new stadium, although I think this should be done in the DRC.

I would also suggest that everyone on here listen to Flyer. He has been on top of this from the beginning and knows the pulse of the campus.

"All parties that wish to campaign for or against a referendum must register with the Election Board prior to campaigning on campus. "

"The University and all parties/organizations may spend up to $1,000 campaigning in regard to a student referendum. "

They could very well invalidate the results of the referendum.

What are you quoting from here?

Greenjoe...when will I see your guest editorial? I think you would make a great guest. I thought the editorial from the paper was WAY OFF BASE and just another example of the "town and gown gap" in Denton. I believe the DRC editor is a grad of Oklahoma State and I can assure you that OSU students pay more for football tickets and student athletic fees than do the students at UNT.

Kram, just when u think the town's attitude is turning, an article like that gets printed. I think it was political satire myself, and like you, way off base. They in no way seriously endorsed this stadium.

I second this.

Thanks again for all you are doing Flyer.

Maybe you would be better off taking that 1000 bucks and hiring students to hand out flyers supporting the stadium, answering questions and the such. Let's see at 50 bucks for a few hours work....20 people.... or post posters around campus...etc...does this violate the rules?

I am doubtful the Daily will play fair in this. They'll take your money, run the ad, then write a scathing editorial about how the alumni should butt out and that if the vote comes out in favor of the stadium that the election board should look into the questionable practice of alumni breaking campaign rules.

That is exactly what will happen.

May I suggest that if an ad is run, that it simply ask students to vote for what they believe needs to be done for their university.

If they really believe further crippling athletics is the answer, then that's the way they should vote.

Why am I not surprised that "do nothing" always gets the most votes when ideas like this are proposed?

If this stadium proposal loses, folks, you can kiss UNT football goodbye. This is an important moment. If you don't like this idea, I hope it is because you're involved in doing something better.

Why am I not surprised that "do nothing" always gets the most votes when ideas like this are proposed?

If this stadium proposal loses, folks, you can kiss UNT football goodbye. This is an important moment. If you don't like this idea, I hope it is because you're involved in doing something better.

The SGA will have its first Referendum Committee meeting this week.

so what would happen if either side spent more than 1000 dollars to campaign...will the vote get nullified??? if not...screw....buy the stinking paper and fill it with ads!!!! i know that won't happen, i'm just curious as to what they could possibly do. i can't imagine them taking votes away or anything like that.

Thing is, we can all feel slighted and upset that we're being advised to keep quiet, but the fact of the matter comes down to RESULTS.

How many minds do you think an ad in the Daily will change? What's the potential for positive impact?

We know the potential for negative impact -- The Daily's agenda, campaign laws, energizing an apathetic "against" movement. Hell, we have EVIDENCE of what happened last time at Bruce Hall -- the "For" group specifically energized and motivated the "against" group to go win the election.

I'm asking for an honest assessment of the positive impact here.

IMHO, Flyer is right. He's been right every step of the way so far. I don't care about how I feel, about who gets to contribute what, about what "message" is sent... We HAVE to win this. Whatever it takes.

Get the Greeks completely onboard, however you can. Get every athlete you can to vote. HAMMER the "for" group on facebook with links to the online voting page. Go viral on "friendlies" via social networking/e-mail lists. But don't shove it in "against's" faces. Here's our chance to use the famous NT apathy to our ADVANTAGE for once.

What's the old political strategy?? Moderates have never won anybody an election? Go for your BASE. Energize them. That's easier for us to do, and that will win this election.

We can shout all we want about what we've put in as alumni, and i know as individuals most of us here have been good alums, who have given plenty and supported as much as possible.... but as a whole, NT alumni failed. It's out of our hands. We couldn't raise near the jack needed to BEGIN to fund this, and our apathy (again, as a whole, not anyone here) exceeds that on campus. That's why we have to even take this ridiculous step.

Just win, baby.

Remember your history people. Click below and read

3-12-02..Editorial Avertisements Unfair: NT should not allow alumni donated money to persuade students to “Vote Yes”

It is a bad idea for any alumni to stick their nose in this. Stay out of it.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I knew there was some kind of rule about that. The idea is alumni can vastly outspend students and thus the referendum would not be a fair vote of the students.

Just drop the idea of an ad. If you a dead set on doing something, write a letter to the editor of the DRC or the Morning News. I know back in the 70s although I lived in Denton, I read the DMN. Leave the Daily out of it!

Remember your history people. Click below and read

3-12-02..Editorial Avertisements Unfair: NT should not allow alumni donated money to persuade students to "Vote Yes"

It is a bad idea for any alumni to stick their nose in this. Stay out of it.

When I was editing The Daily, our editorials were decided in small meetings by a handful of people -- usually the suckers who agreed to write them. They weren't indicative of general student opinion, and we'd often get hammered for them by people who disagreed.