Buying A Daily Ad To Support The Stadium Vote

rcade

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rcade, just interested in your perspective on why it would be a good idea... We've heard the 2002 case study examples, the first hand testimony of that disaster, the pulse of the current student body's climate -- but I'm genuinely curious what an alumni ad would be expected to gain for the cause. We know the negative it could bring, so what's the potential positive impact? Is it the anticipation that an ad placed by alumni would sway a few votes that were that undecided and were unmoved by student or AD advertising/information, or is it a way for alumni to feel involved in such an important process without any real positive impact??

Again, I'm thrilled with your desire to help -- we could use a few thousand more alumni like you. If we had that, we wouldn't have to put this on the students in the first place. I'm just wondering if there's not a more effective way to help.

I get it already -- alumni are freaked out at the prospect of an alumni ad running in The Daily. I am the only alum here on GoMeanGreen who thinks the ad is a good idea.

Stop freaking out. I'm looking at alternative means of supporting the effort.

Support it by showing up to Fouts if you can. Beyond that...anything else is too risky. I think we all appreciate your commitment and attitude...but, see the last election for an idea of what happens when alumni with excellent intentions galvanize the wrong group of students.

rcade, just interested in your perspective on why it would be a good idea...

Since you asked: My thinking is that students who care about campus life at UNT are large enough that if you reach them and they remember to get out and vote, the proposal wins. If you don't, the naysayers crowd can win a vote with low participation.

While at UNT, I helped get a protest candidate elected student body president. We won by doing lots of guerrilla advertising and talking to every single group on campus that would hear us out.

In general, though, I'm tired of being told to do nothing and let others take care of things at UNT athletics. Where has that ever gotten us? When I see what USF and UCF have done here in Florida -- UCF with a new on-campus stadium no less -- I want that for my alma mater.

Don't underestimate how much students dislike old people.

Where we are today, they will soon be. Passion now will be increased with knowledge later. Students today will be alumni tomorrow. This vote is far reaching and it is pretty scarey (and intersting that we must) to stand by and do nothing. But, if that's what we need to do, let's do it. I agree with ShopMeanGreen about voting in Austin. If/when the students pass the vote, we can support their interest for a new stadium in an arena that we may be pretty connected. I think I heard that the vote in Austin may be just a formality but I would leave nothing to chance. There are plenty schools in Texas that understand how important a new stadium would be for the future of our univiersity. They could easily influence the vote against us having a new era start for UNT, I know, I've seen it done.

Go students! Vote yes and help the university now and in the future. You'll be one of us soon and you will understand a little more about what it takes to keep your university alive and well!!

Edited by GreenAlums