Ready For Some Magic?

meangreenbob

This has got to have been, as someone has already suggested, one off the worst off-seasons for UNT FOOTBALL in a long, long, long time.(long long long time, added by me)

Saturdays cookout was first class! Well planned and orchestrated. Every tent or booth was strategically located. In other words it wasn't happenstance. Every detail was considered. Everyone one of you should be busting with PRIDE! It's coming. The Train is coming, I can hear the whistle...it's not far off.

It is critical, vitally important that each and everyone one of us learns the words to the Fight Song, The Alma Mater and every cheer we have! And while you're at it learn the words to the Star Spangled Banner and sing ALL songs "together" at all UNT games and functions.

The time is now, not tomorrow! LEARN the WORDS!!!!

NEVER EVER leave a game or function UNTIL after the Alma Mater has been sung!!!

There is a group of young men, with their coaches practicing in incredilbe heat for the Glory of the Green.

In my heart I believe that these young men are going to teach each and everyone of us what PRIDE is really all about....BE READY THIS TIME!! Please Learn the words and sing....sing with everything you have so the whole state of Texas WILL HEAR YOU! B)

Edited by meangreenbob

Are you saying the light at the end of the tunnel is really a train?

:lol:

Hey Flyer, will you do me a favor and move off to the side of the stage, you're causing a distraction and I feel in my heart it's intentional on your part.

Last Saturday night at the Cookout, Rick Villarreal drew attention(ONCE AGAIN) to one of the major flaws we have at UNT. The North Texas fight song was playing, the UNT dancers were clapping their hands, singing and well...dancing. The cheerleaders as well. I was walking back from the autograph tables and looked out to the crowd standing in front off the stage. Keep in mind that one might believe that the 600 or so fans standing there were the most staunch of all! I mean really, how loyal must you be to brave the 100 plus degree heat? As I looked out at the crowd, only a hand full of fans were clapping and I don't think anyone was singing. Who are we? Do we believe that it is the job of others to entertain us? Do we believe that there is some unwritten law that we are not allowed to participate? THE TRUTH! WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE WORDS TO OUR "OWN" FIGHT SONG AND ALMA MATER! But damn, we demand a new Stadium? Yeah right!

Coach Villarreal grabbed a mike and jumped up onto the stage. He stopped the music, explained to everyone the importance of participating, clapping our hands and singing the words. We did it again, but obviously few people really know the words.

Singing the words of our Alam Mater and Fight Song together is the very essence of school spirit and pride. This is where it all begins. It's the very foundation that everything else is built on.

Stop for one moment and listen to the 25,000 plus in Fouts singing the UNT fight song while clapping their hands. Or look around the stadium at the hands held high in the air, claws swaying as the Alma Mater is being played and sung by tens of thousands of UNT fanatics! This is what attracts new fans! This is what keeps fans coming back even when the team might be struggling on the field. This is what attracts donations from supporters and corporations. It's the SPIRIT that can only be found when singing our school songs together.

Learn the WORDS! Practice! Get a CD of the Green Brigade to help you practice.

I thank my son Matt, who while still in grade school, hounded me for years to learn the words to our school songs. I thank him for writing down the words and giving my wife and I a CD of the Green Brigade.

There is no greater feeling of school spirit and pride than being able to sing our schools songs, all because you know the words.

I also thank Coach Villarreal for never giving up, always teaching and setting an example for all of us to follow.

Learn the words and teach others.

OK Flyer, the stage is yours.

I dunno... Maybe you shouldn't combine Jolt Cola AND Red Bull. Just a thought.

But yes - learning the words would be a good thing. Participation is most important though. If people would just get up at the right times, make an attemp to clap and yell when they should - we would be doing OK.

Edited by Stan R

If you are going to want everyone to learn them... perhaps you should provide the words for them to study.

Most of us on this board already know both and DO participate, but for those who don't, I've taken the liberty to post them here.

Fight Song played by the Green Brigade

Let's give a cheer for the U of NT

Cheer for the Green and White.

Victory's in store whatever the score

Our team will ever fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Shoulder to shoulder they march along

Striving for victory...

Playing the game for the honor and fame

And the glory of UNT!

U...N...T...EAGLES

UNT EAGLES FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Can't find a link to the music... but here are the lyrics to "Glory to the Green"

Singing glory to the green,

Singing glory to the white,

For we know our university is

striving for the right,

Down the corridor of years,

We'll forget the joys and tears,

But North Texas, North Texas,

We love!

But yes - learning the words would be a good thing. Participation is most important though. If people would just get up at the right times, make an attemp to clap and yell when they should - we would be doing OK.

WHAT? You make no sense! Maybe its you who needs to stay away from the JC and Red Bull. Whats so sad and frustrating friend is that people who think like you are the majority. You don't get it, period.

If you are going to want everyone to learn them... perhaps you should provide the words for them to study.

Most of us on this board already know both and DO participate, but for those who don't, I've taken the liberty to post them here.

Fight Song played by the Green Brigade

Let's give a cheer for the U of NT

Cheer for the Green and White.

Victory's in store whatever the score

Our team will ever fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Shoulder to shoulder they march along

Striving for victory...

Playing the game for the honor and fame

And the glory of UNT!

U...N...T...EAGLES

UNT EAGLES FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Can't find a link to the music... but here are the lyrics to "Glory to the Green"

Singing glory to the green,

Singing glory to the white,

For we know our university is

striving for the right,

Down the corridor of years,

We'll forget the joys and tears,

But North Texas, North Texas,

We love!

Thank you!

Gonna have to totally disagree on this one. "Learning the words would be a good thing" makes it sound like it's something to do if it's convenient and one can find the time. How long will be expect the bare minimum of ourselves and then demand excellence from the AD's office?

Meangreenbob, did you mention a North Texas yell? What North Texas yell.. :huh:

You mean when the cheerleaders come over and stand in front of the reserved section (and these are the 2nd team cheerleaders) and yell "GO NORTH TEXAS, GO NORTH TEXAS, GO! GO! .............Generic drivel.

I've told this story many times (and here it is once more), but when I was invited to participate in a focus group (Led by Dr. Lane) after the 1990 season, my main input to the group was that North Texas doesn't have any traditions to speak of. I pointed out that TCU has their own yell*. It sounds stupid, but it's their stupid yell and they put the words up on their field house for everyone to see. I went on to say that North Texas doesn't even have a stupid yell, just generic yells with North Texas inserted in the appropriate places. I furthur stated that North Texas games looked like generic football games that someone contracted to put on, because they were required to have a certain number of 'football events" at Fouts each year. There was a football team that showed up, a band that showed up, and some spirit and/or fraternal organizations that showed up. BUT NONE OF THEM SEEMED TO BE CONNECTED TO ONE ANOTHER. They all did their "thing" during the game, and seemed oblivious to one another.

So MGB, you are not telling me anything that I haven't already noticed (and pointed out to officials) years ago. The people running that focus group were so impressed with my feedback that I've never been invited to any sort of focus group again.

* The TCU stupid yell

Rif Ram:

Riff, Ram, Bah Zoo

Lickety, Lickety, Zoo, Zoo

Who, Wah, Wah, Who

Give ‘em hell, TCU

Don't know the words? Just have a kid! My 4 yr old daughter has known the entire song since she was 2!---and I fall into the category of people who don't sing in public! :) I'll clap, mind you...but singing isn't my thing.

Instead of making everyone sing all the time---how about a compromise? Just get everyone to YELL the last part of the song:

U-N-T EAGLES! UNT EAGLES, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

* The TCU stupid yell

Rif Ram:

Riff, Ram, Bah Zoo

Lickety, Lickety, Zoo, Zoo

Who, Wah, Wah, Who

Give ‘em hell, TCU

We used to have one back in the 20's or something. Chris Latham(Talons President in Fall 1999 thru Spring 2000) found it in an old Yucca. It went something like this....

Boom a lacka Boom a lacka,

Bow wow wow

Ching a lacka Ching a lacka,

Chow chow chow

Boom a lack Ching a lacka,

Who are we?

We are the students of NTSC

Gonna have to totally disagree on this one. "Learning the words would be a good thing" makes it sound like it's something to do if it's convenient and one can find the time. How long will be expect the bare minimum of ourselves and then demand excellence from the AD's office?

I could be totally misreading it here, but I think the 'Learning the words would be a good thing' statement was some understated sarcasm. I think Stan makes a great point: It's not just enough to learn the words - you also have to participate. We're still beating a dead horse with this one, but even if you teach the students/alumni the words to the fight song and the alma mater, it doesn't mean a thing if they never sing along. Personally, I think what's more important is getting the students/alumni to feel the words. It shouldn't just be about singing empty words, but about believing in them and being passionate about them. Although I know many on this board have spent considerable time, money, and energy dedicated to instilling that passion into the student body, realize that it takes time. I think the work is good, and there is definitely progress, but you don't convert 30,000+ people to fanatics overnight. Given that school pride wasn't the focus of this school for many years, remember that it takes a long time to brainwash people to that level. I mean, how else but time and lots of effort could you explain 80,000+ Aggies actually saying 'Hullabaloo caneck caneck' with a straight face?

I'm not as concerned about the 7,000 alumni who are on the alumni side not signing along with the correct words as I am the other 80,000 alumni sitting at home on their asses. Call me crazy!

Amen brother, but hopefully the alumni are singing and not signing. ;)

In high school we were hazed and forced to randomly sing the fight song on the spot. We all knew the words to avoid embarrassment and further hazing.

If RV has the courage to do what's right to FIX THE PROBLEM, he'll let the football team haze the rest of the student body!