Wright Waters Interviews For Big?12 Commish Position

NT80

Sources: At least four vie for Big 12 post

11:55 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

chipbrown@dallasnews.com

At least four candidates to replace Kevin Weiberg as Big 12 commissioner have interviewed this week with the executive committee charged with cutting the list down to two finalists, according to several sources close to the situation.

Those candidates include Rick Chryst, commissioner of the Mid-American Conference; Britton Banowsky, commissioner of Conference USA; Wright Waters, commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference; and interim Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, according to the sources.

Two sources said the committee also interviewed a candidate from outside of college athletics.

Banowsky, 47, who interviewed Tuesday, said he has withdrawn his name from consideration.

"I advised the committee that I appreciated the opportunity to visit with them, but I don't have interest in the job," said Banowsky, who served as associate commissioner of the Big 12 before taking over Conference USA six years ago. "I love working with Conference USA."

Chryst, 46, who worked in the Southwest Conference in the early 1990s, has been commissioner of the MAC for nine years. Waters, 58, the Sun Belt commissioner since 1998, served as commissioner of the Southern Conference for seven years (1991-97).

Beebe, 50, who was named interim Big 12 commissioner after serving as associate commissioner since 2003, is considered a front-runner. Beebe was commissioner of the Ohio Valley Conference for 14 years (1989-2003) before moving to the Big 12. He is also former director of enforcement at the NCAA (1987-89).

Sources said the two finalists would interview next week with the full Big 12 board of directors, made up of presidents and chancellors from all twelve schools.

The executive committee heading up the search includes Texas Tech president John Whitmore, Texas president William Powers, Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, Iowa State president Greg Geoffrey and Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman, chairman of the Big 12 board of directors.

congrats to Waters on making the final 4, but it would be a huge blow for the conference to lose him, of course do we want some running the league that wants to leave?

Can not blame him as most of us would do it also.

If Waters makes the cut and the Big 12 has a school leave or wants to expand down the line does having Wright as commish help UNT's chances of getting in?

Laugh all you want but of the two schools, NT and ASU, who do you honestly see being a bigger player in college athletics 10 years from now?

Call me when you figure out how to get some of the 3.5 million cars that drive past Fouts every day to stop. Then you can start calling around to get fitted for bigger britches.

Call me when you figure out how to get some of the 3.5 million cars that drive past Fouts every day to stop. Then you can start calling around to get fitted for bigger britches.

What's your number? I think Rick V figured that out late last December.

Get realistic.

The Big 12 has 4 programs that draw 70,000+ per game and 2 more at 50,000+. Baylor is the only sub-40,000 program in the league and they still average 37,000.

Them boys ain't splitting the money any more ways and any school they bring in is going to bring a new television market.

Get realistic.

The Big 12 has 4 programs that draw 70,000+ per game and 2 more at 50,000+. Baylor is the only sub-40,000 program in the league and they still average 37,000.

Them boys ain't splitting the money any more ways and any school they bring in is going to bring a new television market.

He who laughs last, laughs best!

I guess we shall see. ;)

Get realistic.

Although I completly agree that the Big XII wouldn't split the pie any more ways, I think that if NT was to ever identify with the DFW metorplex and become their team as Dodge says he expects, and if Baylor coninues its subpar performances in all areas, the Big XII could at least entertain the thought of subbing NT for Baylor. As far another media market, the last time I checked the DFW market was a top 5 market in the country, and as of now, there is no true connection to the Big XII except that it is in the center of the South Division.

if Baylor coninues its subpar performances in all areas, the Big XII could at least entertain the thought of subbing NT for Baylor.

Huh? Baylor won the national championship in Women's Basketball a few years ago, and as a Baylor grad told me today "We are competitive in everthing but football and that is not likely to change."

Get realistic.

Exactly. UTEP has by far the largest fan base and the best athletic facilities of any of the non-bcs schools in Texas and even they don't have a prayer of getting into the Big-12. UNT at this point isn't even CUSA material so talking about the Big 12 is beyond ridiculous.

Huh? Baylor won the national championship in Women's Basketball a few years ago, and as a Baylor grad told me today "We are competitive in everthing but football and that is not likely to change."

Dont forget one of the best Tennis programs, a couple of olympic gold medalists in track and mens basketball will be there very soon. To use an SAT comparison...Baylor is to Big XII as Duke is to ACC...they will never compete in football, but are solid or at times exceptional in most other sports...ohh...and unlike UNT...they offer most other sports

Exactly. UTEP has by far the largest fan base and the best athletic facilities of any of the non-bcs schools in Texas and even they don't have a prayer of getting into the Big-12. UNT at this point isn't even CUSA material so talking about the Big 12 is beyond ridiculous.

The only advantage UNT has on UTEP is market size and recognition...and to this point we've done nothing with it. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...everyone on here get the Big XII out of your plans...I know EA sports loves to give you hopes and dreams after a successful season and say you've got an invitation to the Big XII to replace TT or OSU...but no...it won't happen and you look like an idiot when you bring it up.

Dont forget one of the best Tennis programs, a couple of olympic gold medalists in track and mens basketball will be there very soon. To use an SAT comparison...Baylor is to Big XII as Duke is to ACC...they will never compete in football, but are solid or at times exceptional in most other sports...ohh...and unlike UNT...they offer most other sports

The only advantage UNT has on UTEP is market size and recognition...and to this point we've done nothing with it. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...everyone on here get the Big XII out of your plans...I know EA sports loves to give you hopes and dreams after a successful season and say you've got an invitation to the Big XII to replace TT or OSU...but no...it won't happen and you look like an idiot when you bring it up.

No - we all look like idiots when it is brought up.

Although I completly agree that the Big XII wouldn't split the pie any more ways, I think that if NT was to ever identify with the DFW metorplex and become their team as Dodge says he expects, and if Baylor coninues its subpar performances in all areas, the Big XII could at least entertain the thought of subbing NT for Baylor. As far another media market, the last time I checked the DFW market was a top 5 market in the country, and as of now, there is no true connection to the Big XII except that it is in the center of the South Division.

You're talking about a massive change in viewing habits to make that work.

When ABC was talking to the SWC and Big 8 they noted that OU and Nebraska drew more viewers in the DFW market than any SWC game that didn't involve UT or TAMU. The Big 12 isn't having any trouble drawing eyeballs in the DFW market.

I'm not saying UNT doesn't have room to build a good program but talking Big 12 is to ignore the basic economic fact that UNT is unlikely to ever offer the Big 12 what it would be looking for as long as OU, UT, TAMU and Nebraska are in the conference.