Unt Vs Navy T-shirts

NT1978

watch out for the PC police

Its not a comment on the War.

Should we not play the game as well since men and womens lives are at stake overseas. Its a shirt in good clean fun and obviously references a football game

If you dont like it dont buy it

Who is it on here that says people on here would complain about there dollar being crinkled if they got afree one

T-shirt is NOT IN GOOD TASTE.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should make a shirt that has an alien wearing a mean green uniform standing in a helicopter, and in one hand he has gun, and the other a football and then have fire coming out of the back of the helicopter (to make it look fast).. then at the bottom have a dude wearing a navy uniform, and he just has his jaw dropped like whoa, and at the bottom it says "Beat Navy"

Original Lyrics to Anchors Aweigh

Stand Navy down the field, sails set to the sky.

We'll never change our course, so Army you steer shy-y-y-y.

Roll up the score, Navy, Anchors Aweigh.

Sail Navy down the field and sink the Army, sink the Army Grey.

Get underway, Navy, Decks cleared for the fray,

We'll hoist true Navy Blue So Army down your Grey-y-y-y.

Full speed ahead, Navy; Army heave to,

Furl Black and Grey and Gold and hoist the Navy, hoist the Navy Blue

Blue of the Seven Seas; Gold of God's great sun

Let these our colors be Till all of time be done-n-n-ne,

By Severn shore we learn Navy's stern call:

I don't personally see a problem with the shirt, I love the humor and I love the effort. With that said, though, I don't think it should be made and mass produced. Make no mistake, I don't think the shirt has ANY bearing on how anyone feels about the war or our servicemen WHATSOEVER but the possible interpretations are potentially damning. If even one naval serviceman or retiree looks at the shirt and feels slighted then I think it's a mistake. Furthermore I think the potential bad press is not what we need.

To me it's comparable to NT flying a confederate flag at Fouts. Sure, we may put it up to show our love for our southern heritage but it also screams loud and clear to African-American fans and players a different message. Even the possibility of negative interpretation should be avoided.

Agree with emmitt, one serviceman offended and it's wrong and we are trying to move to the next level w/o bad publicity. Show an eagle draggin a cartoon sailor away. Political correctness wears away at all of us, but when it comes to our servicemen the weekend of Veteran's Day, may show distaste.

Edited by runt96

I don't think that is appropriate. We are in a time of war. I realize this is about a football game and that a football game is trivial compared to a war, but the notion and the graphic of sinking a (U.S. I presume) Navy ship seems over the line. "Kick the mule" or "Give Navy the blues" but don't sink Navy. Sorry. Just my opinion.

I agree. It's in bad taste to show a Navy ship sinking while the country's at war.

Imagine how that shirt would make UNT look if we lost a ship the week of the game.

I dunno, I showed it to my brother, and he thought it was halarious... then again he is in the Army. I don't think its the PC police whos working here... I think its that good ole blind American patriotism, where no sense of humor is allowed.

Flame away at me if you want. My Brother, Uncle, and Grandfather are veterans of Iraq, Korea, and WWII respectively... but they never lost their sense of humor... especially when football was involved. I'm right there with them.

I don't have a problem with the text "Sink Navy" . Army uses it every year. But the image of a naval vessel going into the drink is in bad taste. I'd go with the suggestion of using a Goat (navy mascot) in a row boat. Nothing wrong with that image. Take away any connotation of the active duty Navy and replaces it with a cartoon depiction of their sports teams..

So how is a goat in a rowboat or no picture less disrespectful. It still implies sink navy

I think it comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Its not as if theres a map on the shirt showing a naval destroyer in gulf sinking. It references the football game at fouts

I can't see any people getting that up in arms about it.

Next thing you know we will have to get rid of out SMU shirts for animal rights.

I am absolutly anti PC but two points crossed my mine and one was the image displayed of dowing our on Navy. I would consider ships in the Iraqi waters to be in "harms way". Certainly those who think he Dixie Chicks should leave the country would be appalled.

Secondly I do not like the idea of making public this game is more important to us than any other - although it might be.

Lifetime member of the exes.

This is indeed inappropriate especially when we have servicemen dying everyday.

As a retired Air Force officer, I have been a bit surprised at all the suggestions to honor Staubach, etc. As far as I know, he never attended North Texas.

Let me suggest we honor the North Texas veterans on Veterans Day. The AFROTC unit at North Texas has commissioned many hundreds of officers who have served our country. Then there are those who served before coming to NT and those who served afterwards. With a bit of effort, I suspect we could get the word out easily.

I don't have a problem with the text "Sink Navy" . Army uses it every year. But the image of a naval vessel going into the drink is in bad taste. I'd go with the suggestion of using a Goat (navy mascot) in a row boat. Nothing wrong with that image. Take away any connotation of the active duty Navy and replaces it with a cartoon depiction of their sports teams..

believe me, someone would find a reason to bitch about a cartoon character as well.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This is indeed inappropriate especially when we have servicemen dying everyday.

As a retired Air Force officer, I have been a bit surprised at all the suggestions to honor Staubach, etc. As far as I know, he never attended North Texas.

Let me suggest we honor the North Texas veterans on Veterans Day. The AFROTC unit at North Texas has commissioned many hundreds of officers who have served our country. Then there are those who served before coming to NT and those who served afterwards. With a bit of effort, I suspect we could get the word out easily.

I believe that it is their intent to do just that, lgac. Each will stand as the song identifying their branch of the service is played.

I also think that there is enough ambiguity with the "sink Navy" slogan that I won't buy one but I won't condemn those that do. Besides, I'm a Navy veteran and wish them well (except for that game).

As to Staubach, he is arguably the greatest player from the Naval Academy. Further, he is in the NFL Hall of Fame and a resident of the area. As an ex-Cowboy great and CEO of one of the largest real estate development companies in the Metroplex, he has perhaps the highest "name recognition" of any person in the area. Frankly, I'm pleased that he is willing to do this. Who knows? Perhaps, some day, he may even direct a few dollars from the Stauback Company to North Texas athletics (or academics).

This is the stupidest thred. If you dont like the shirts DONT buy one, if you do like the shirts BUY one. People will always find something to complain about it. If we had a goat well then it wouldn't look right. Since we're having so much sympathy for the Navy why don't we let them beat us? I mean after all we don't want them to get discouraged while fighting the war.

This is the stupidest thred. If you dont like the shirts DONT buy one, if you do like the shirts BUY one. People will always find something to complain about it. If we had a goat well then it wouldn't look right. Since we're having so much sympathy for the Navy why don't we let them beat us? I mean after all we don't want them to get discouraged while fighting the war.

Best one I've read so far. Big deal, Sink Navy, Kill Navy...it's a football game. I guess if Navy made shirts with an Eagle (which by the way is an AMERICAN icon) that was dead or skinned everyone would complain too? I hope they do, it's just a little fun.

That's not the point folks are making. The concern is the possible bad publicity towards NT and the NT Exes through the sale of this shirt. Remove the ship, keep the term sink Navy and move on.

The only bad publicity is four pages of people stirring up crap for nothing

so simply taking the ship off solves the problem.

I love this board but this ranks up there with the most frustrating threads ever in 5 years.

When did we start playing politics and such.

So if we weren't actively at war. It would be ok? Ships are always in harms way.

Someone google "sink navy" and see the shirts for sale. Granted its Army but isnt that just as alledgely insensitive?

So the people who are against the shirt were also for all schools removing any indian references?

I doubt it