Unt Vs Navy T-shirts

NT1978

The North Texas Exes, Denton Chapter, have created a special shirt for the North Texas vs. Navy game and the shirts are for sale to the public. Beginning April 16th the shirts will be available for purchase at the Exes Center for $12 each. Shirts must be purchased in person. There will be no mail order for this project. Proceeds from the shirt sales go to student scholarships. Questions? Call the Exes at 1-800-UNT-1153 or locally at 940-565-2834.

SinkNavy02.JPG

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that is appropriate. We are in a time of war. I realize this is about a football game and that a football game is trivial compared to a war, but the notion and the graphic of sinking a (U.S. I presume) Navy ship seems over the line. "Kick the goat" or "Give Navy the blues" but don't sink Navy. Sorry. Just my opinion.

Edited by greenjoe

I don't think that is appropriate. We are in a time of war. I realize this is about a football game and that a football game is trivial compared to a war, but the notion and the graphic of sinking a (U.S. I presume) Navy ship seems over the line. "Kick the mule" or "Give Navy the blues" but don't sink Navy. Sorry. Just my opinion.

Boy GreenJoe, do we think alike. As I type this from my hotel room in Kauai, Hawaii, preparing to fly to Honolulu, enroute to home, we'll pass over the Battleship Arizona Monument. I don't think the T-shirt theme is appropriate. We should come up with a different theme that is more respective of our men and women in uniform.

watch out for the PC police

Its not a comment on the War.

Should we not play the game as well since men and womens lives are at stake overseas. Its a shirt in good clean fun and obviously references a football game

If you dont like it dont buy it

Who is it on here that says people on here would complain about there dollar being crinkled if they got afree one

To he best of my knowledge, no Naval Academy ship is in harm's way and you can bet that they sure will be trying to sink us. Lighten up and give the Exes some credit for trying to contribute to school spirit.

I hate the PC police and our obsession with PC as much as anyone but my initial reaction upon seeing the sinking battleship was that someone would almost certainly be offended. If it is offensive to ANY of our servicemen, I would reconsider it. That is entirely up to the exes.

And the exes can still get "credit" for doing something without having a shirt depicting a sinking US Battleship... not really the same as the wrinkled dollar bill argument.

That being said, many sportswriters use the term "sink Navy" in headlines when writing about a game the Navy lost... Ive never heard anyone up in arms over that. I guess for me its the ship, not the saying that causes me to pause.

The more I think about it, the less I like the ship sinking...

Edited by Eagle1855

I think what bothers me about the shirt is the picture of the ship...same t-shirt, same slogan, no ship, I could handle. Not sure why, just one of those things I guess. For the record, I am a Exes member, and am not knocking what they are trying to accomplish by selling the shirts.

Just my $.02

Edited by Greenblood94

Believe me, I'm as anti-PC as anyone, but there are some lines you do not cross. It is inappropriate when you use an image of a sinking destroyer (that looks like a destroyer, not a battleship) at a time when the nation is at war with the same thugs who blew a hole in the destroyer USS Cole.

Edited by Smitty

It's a freakin' football game.

No one cried when they made Battleship, the board game that lights up when you strike the right square on a grid.

Heaven forbid one of the service academies lose a football game; those old vets would have a heart attack because they can't distinguish between the outcome on the field and a battle fought by the armed forces.

...I hated losing at Battleship.

Let me put it like this - does Navy produce t-shirts for their games against Air Force with exploding F-16s "Beat Air Force"? Or how about showing an army GI lying dead on the ground and "Beat Army" ? Yeah, this is along the same lines. Please, please don't do this.

To he best of my knowledge, no Naval Academy ship is in harm's way and you can bet that they sure will be trying to sink us. Lighten up and give the Exes some credit for trying to contribute to school spirit.

Huh? There are aircraft carriers and battleships in the perisan gulf. They are in harm's way.

You guys know me...I'm about as far from PC as just about anyone.

However, even I am uncomfortable with this one. While I appreciate the idea and the fact that the Exes got off their butts to make a shirt...it just doesn't feel right. Not because it is a "time of war" or anything like that...it just doesn't feel respectful towards those who have served.

If it was anyone but a service academy, I'd be all about this one. But it IS a service academy...let's show a little respect and try another graphic.

Maybe we recycle the graphic for the SMUt game and have a sinking Mustang? :-D

You guys know me...I'm about as far from PC as just about anyone.

However, even I am uncomfortable with this one. While I appreciate the idea and the fact that the Exes got off their butts to make a shirt...it just doesn't feel right. Not because it is a "time of war" or anything like that...it just doesn't feel respectful towards those who have served.

If it was anyone but a service academy, I'd be all about this one. But it IS a service academy...let's show a little respect and try another graphic.

Maybe we recycle the graphic for the SMUt game and have a sinking Mustang? :-D

Perhaps we could recycle the SMU shirt from last year and substitute a goat for the Mustang.

How bout we replace the battle ship with a..... wait for it..... wait for it.....

ROW BOAT!!!

That would be the ultimate insult to Navy!!! :lol:

OK OK how about a Navy joke

You know why the Navy allows Marines on their ships?????

Because goats would be to obvious....... :lol:

It is a destroyer looks like the DDG-11 USS Sellers the tell tale signs are blocked by the Y in NAVY.

It is a game and we all need to step back and realize this, have fun with the Navy they are our opponent and I hope we do Sink them, more to the fact that they went 9-4 last year and they will have 13 senior starters from that team last year and if we beat them it will be a quality win.

Having been in the Army I do not like the shirt and will not buy one, however, I do also recognize the right of any person to purchase and wear this shirt. That is what we fight for.

I also support your freedom of speech to burn the flag of my country so long as you respect my freedom of expression to rearrange your face and internal organs. :angry:

dude, it's a shirt...that's all it is....my father was in the navy for 30 years and i forwarded this thread to him to see if he wanted one....he has no issue with it and wants one....he'll be at the game with me....it's a stupid shirt!!!!! it means nothing more...i hate the pc crap in this world!!!

sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt!!!!

Edited by radiogreen