Big Advantage For Us (smu Game)

SUMG

To be on national TV, the Ponies are playing TTech on ESPN on Labor Day (Sept. 3) at 3 p.m.

Then, just five days later.....they play us. So, we'll have 7 days between games....they'll just have five.

That's a big advantage for us (even though we probably didn't need it).

Well, I'll be honest with you guys. Since we are playing SMU........I'll be pulling for them to beat TTech.

That'll make our victory over them....that much sweeter.

--- I won't --- I would not cheer for SMU against anyone... not even some Yankee or West-Coast team. I hope Tech drills them and demoralizes them so we we can just pulverize them.... As you can tell... I have no love for those cheating, disrespectful arrogant slimeballs.

--I would say worse but the board's obscenity rules prevent me from stating it....LOL

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I propose we get tickets to their game and wear our Mean Green gear. Maybe bring a sign that says "You're halfway to 0-2"

Haha... that would be funny. Two years ago the SMU students had shirts that read "Keep Phil Bennett. Our team sucks, but the Nachos are much better"

I dropped to the floor laughing at that one. Chris wanted that shirt, but we couldnt get a student to sell us one. Tulane won that game hands down 31-10, but the nachos really were pretty good.

GMG!!!

Well, I'll be honest with you guys. Since we are playing SMU........I'll be pulling for them to beat TTech.

That'll make our victory over them....that much sweeter.

I understand your thinking, but considering I would have a difficult time pulling SMU, here's the scenario I would like to see play out.

We surprising play OU close, not expecting a win, but let's say the final is in the range of 24-10. Tech barely beats SMU in a slugfest, say 35-34. We then hammer SMU by 21+, finish with a winning record and win the Sun Belt, OU is surprisingly strong and finishes in the Top 10, Tech is a Top 20 and SMU is successful, but less than us.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I am pulling for the SMU stadium to turn into a giant toilet bowl and suck the entire campus down into the abyss sometime before our game. If their players are not caught in the vortex of doom, then it can be changed to an NT home game.

To be on national TV, the Ponies are playing TTech on ESPN on Labor Day (Sept. 3) at 3 p.m.

Then, just five days later.....they play us. So, we'll have 7 days between games....they'll just have five.

That's a big advantage for us (even though we probably didn't need it).

Everybody, please remember this one fact:

The Mustangs will be ready. The North Texas game is SMU's Superbowl.

I am glad that SMU decided to play us again. The game will be one of the hardest of the year. Even with Dodge Ball it is very hard in collegete sports and come back with back to back wins in big rivaliry games. SMU will pull everything out to win the game against the Green.

Don't get me wrong...I believe the Mean Green will prevail...but, it will be an old fashioned "shoot out".

ParksAndRecRick

I agree, we need to tap the brakes on the overconfidence. We cost SMUt a bowl bid last year. They are going to be foaming at the mouth waiting for us.

In Todd we Trust. Go mean green

Really???? I have spent a good deal of time lurking on their website. Truly it took me a while to decide which University that I wanted to adopt and support while living here. I live in Denton and have friends that went to school at both Universities. But ultimately I decided to support UNT. But (as an outsider looking in) I think what is true is that we want it to be their superbowl. In fact, I just went over to their site and found a post about their schedule. UNT is rarely mentioned. And they certainly do not have an entire thread dedicated to us. Atleast not right now.

I got bead up last time I mentioned SMU. But we really do look bad when we have entire threads didicated to them. It makes it look like it is our Superbowl.

BLAST AWAY.... But it is true.

Really???? I have spent a good deal of time lurking on their website. Truly it took me a while to decide which University that I wanted to adopt and support while living here. I live in Denton and have friends that went to school at both Universities. But ultimately I decided to support UNT. But (as an outsider looking in) I think what is true is that we want it to be their superbowl. In fact, I just went over to their site and found a post about their schedule. UNT is rarely mentioned. And they certainly do not have an entire thread dedicated to us. Atleast not right now.

I got bead up last time I mentioned SMU. But we really do look bad when we have entire threads didicated to them. It makes it look like it is our Superbowl.

BLAST AWAY.... But it is true.

Have to agree (as much as I'd like to see someone disagree). If they're truly as arrogant as some of you elders make them out to be, then we are a simple speck to them, an insignificant institution up the road that will never truly be able to call themselves on the same level of competition as SMU (should) be. Is there a smiley for :puke:?! Because that would apply after that last statement. You know and I know that they aren't at the level they used to be, but that is not their perception nor their goal. Just like we have goals of belittling them.

They had other losses, closer losses, last year outside of Denton and I doubt they are blaming UNT as THE reason they didn't go to a bowl. In fact, I'd bet they're pretty comfortable with the thought of a win against us with their starting QB playing (who they didn't have last year against us).

Lets prove them wrong, and then after the win at least act like that's the way it was supposed to play out. If you want to add fuel to the "superbowl" fire and tear down the goal post, have at it. I'll be standing on the sideline treating it like an expected win. I want this to be a heated rivalry, but not an upset of a program 50 spots up in the rankings.

But Adler, we just can't go to sleep at night until you have patronized us. Please, please do it soon.

OK, only because you grovelled so eloquently. I will explain it for you.

Every time that North Texas plays anybody that matters, their fans always state how the game is insignificant to them, but how the game against them is North Texas' Superbowl.

If the day still hasn't dawned, I was making a smart aleck remark by stating about them what they state about us.

Have to agree (as much as I'd like to see someone disagree). If they're truly as arrogant as some of you elders make them out to be, then we are a simple speck to them, an insignificant institution up the road that will never truly be able to call themselves on the same level of competition as SMU (should) be. Is there a smiley for :puke:?! Because that would apply after that last statement. You know and I know that they aren't at the level they used to be, but that is not their perception nor their goal. Just like we have goals of belittling them.

They had other losses, closer losses, last year outside of Denton and I doubt they are blaming UNT as THE reason they didn't go to a bowl. In fact, I'd bet they're pretty comfortable with the thought of a win against us with their starting QB playing (who they didn't have last year against us).

Lets prove them wrong, and then after the win at least act like that's the way it was supposed to play out. If you want to add fuel to the "superbowl" fire and tear down the goal post, have at it. I'll be standing on the sideline treating it like an expected win. I want this to be a heated rivalry, but not an upset of a program 50 spots up in the rankings.

I agree to a point with a few corrections. First, their starting QB Justin Willis DID play against us last year. He had 1 pick and 1 TD. He looked so befuddled during the game that he was pulled temporarily. Do I think he got consistently better as the year went on and will be better this season? Yep. Do I think we'll still win? Yep. Now, as to us being their "super bowl" I have to agree with this. Not in the sense that we are the make/break game for their season...they have a conference title to chase just like us...but I think it's their "measuring stick" game. They are all WELL aware of the publicity that 4 conference titles (regardless of how impressive you think they were) and now the hiring of Dodge has brought lil' ol' NT. And they are painfully aware of how far below us they were for the last half decade in the Sagarins and national polls. Last season was, for them, the chance to put to bed the idea that we had a better program. They got handled and if you went to their message board it showed. They were predicting a loss to SFA the next week! :lol: Then they went on a mini tear and won 6 games for the season. Now, though you'd never hear them say it out loud, they all know that this year is put up of shut up time for them. Another loss to "NTSU" in THEIR house would be damning to their season and morale.

To them we are like the affair that you know your wife is having. If you don't talk about it or acknowledge it, it can't hurt you. Well, last season their wives said "Ohhhhhh North Texas" while in bed. By this time next season we'll be driving around in the car they bought for the wife. :D

I agree to a point with a few corrections. First, their starting QB Justin Willis DID play against us last year. He had 1 pick and 1 TD. He looked so befuddled during the game that he was pulled temporarily. Do I think he got consistently better as the year went on and will be better this season? Yep. Do I think we'll still win? Yep. Now, as to us being their "super bowl" I have to agree with this. Not in the sense that we are the make/break game for their season...they have a conference title to chase just like us...but I think it's their "measuring stick" game. They are all WELL aware of the publicity that 4 conference titles (regardless of how impressive you think they were) and now the hiring of Dodge has brought lil' ol' NT. And they are painfully aware of how far below us they were for the last half decade in the Sagarins and national polls. Last season was, for them, the chance to put to bed the idea that we had a better program. They got handled and if you went to their message board it showed. They were predicting a loss to SFA the next week! :lol: Then they went on a mini tear and won 6 games for the season. Now, though you'd never hear them say it out loud, they all know that this year is put up of shut up time for them. Another loss to "NTSU" in THEIR house would be damning to their season and morale.

To them we are like the affair that you know your wife is having. If you don't talk about it or acknowledge it, it can't hurt you. Well, last season their wives said "Ohhhhhh North Texas" while in bed. By this time next season we'll be driving around in the car they bought for the wife. :D

Well I will defer to those of you who have been around this area longer then I have. But it just seems like we talk about this game waaaaay more then they do.

That is true, NT fans always will talk about the other teams more than

than they talk about us--Unless we beat the crap out of them!

Then the game becomes a "fluke", or "NT is a lucky team"--

Have you noticed that anytime we have a game scheduled with

one of the big boys, their fans mark the NT game as a automatic

win, or view the game as a scrimage!

Just wait, all you big boys--NT is coming to town, and you

better be ready for some "Dodge Ball" !!