The current state of the University of North Texas

BonfireBrian

--- Sometimes the middle of nowhere can be good.... there isn't a whole lot of other things to do (unlike in the metroplex). That is one reason HS games in West Texas is such a big deal.... 10,000-15,000 at a game is normal and the area is football crazy. What else is there to do in College station that is not university related.

---Playing schools from Texas helps a lot as well, their alums work with the alums of the schools they play against which really creates interest and they really don't want to hear about getting defeated the rest of the year either. That doesn't happen to us if we lose to Troy or whoever. I don't think CUSA is all that great BUT those members would really increase interest and media attention for us. To heck with the WAC, the situation would be no better but travel expenses would really increase.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

With some of the pessimistic posts around here, maybe we should change our name to something like the University of Denton, DFW State University, or American Central University? Seriously, it does seem like the regional "North" designation is still affecting ours and others perceptions in many ways. Although I'm still a bit bitter about losing the Texas State name which I believe was ours for the taking, I really don't think that our image is that bad nationally. I'm a CPA who has worked for a multinational corporation for several years and I've never been laughed at or treated with disdain because of my alma mater. I've generally found quite a bit of respect for the business program etc. at North Texas. That being said, I do think that inferiority complexes still run rampant in Denton. There are a variety of reasons for that phenomena, but I think that it can eventually be overcome with both academic and athletic success. Getting that law school pushed through the legislature next year in addition to a near-term stadium groundbreaking wouldn't hurt us a bit.

North Texas is a geographical designation. It doesn't mean much any more as now Metroplex is usually used instead of north Texas. NT has campuses in Dallas and Fort Worth. We are truely the "University of the Texas Metroplex". In the standings and the sports headlines we would be "Texas Metro". It has a big, impressive sound. If some other school doesn't like the name-let them sue.

Edited by Buford_Julep

---The Law school was passed wasn't it??? Perry and the current Legislature who are very education unfriendly did not fund it. UTEP has a completed Pharmacy School but they failed to provide funds to operate it as well. The 2003 Perry/Craddock Legislature cut university funding by nearly $700,000,000 then let each university set it own tuition (to make up for the budget cuts). This explains the rapid increase of tuition in Texas. In 2005 they passed no budget at all.

---Enough politics but people need to know what is really happening to our schools and univeristies. We get what we pay for, we are 49th in state taxes per capita.

--No more name changes... people would just think it is some newly established place!!!!

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I understand that some of the folks on this board are a probably in their early 20's just starting out, but here's an issue I have. We (we meaning UNT grads) need to stop worrying about who's going to hire us and start worrying about who are WE GOING TO HIRE. Yes, I know it is a bizzare, probably scary statement but the more entrepreneurs and self starters out there we have the better off we are going to be as a university. Why do you think that aggies seeem to have such a good network of connections? Is it because they are better students than us? Better educated? Hell no- that is ridiculous. The reason is because they look out for each other. They hire one another.

Is there any reason UNT grads could not do that? No. But what we need to do is to break out of this mind game of inferiority complexes and to filp the table. Hire other UNT grads. Network. Start your own company. Save your pennies. Don't buy a BMW when you could invest it in a revenue generating asset. Yes there is some truth to who you know is more than what you know, but the only way to turn the tables on that is to start out on your own. UNT has a great Murphy Center for entrepreneurship. Use it.

ASK NOT WHO WILL HIRE ME BUT WHO WILL I HIRE!!!!!!

queue marching music.

Edited by Stan R

Don't buy a BMW when you could invest it in a revenue generating asset.

And who in Dallas "buys" a BMW? Didnt you know you can LEASE a 3 series, live in uptown or Addison and make everyone THINK you have arrived- for half the cost? rolleyes.gif

But seriously, you DO make good points.

Edited by Eagle1855

As for any company that has a policy of only hiring from the "name" universities "UT, aTm, and TT", that's one of the most idiotic hiring policies any company could have.  They are just limiting themselves and their ability to truely find all the best employees they can.

That's quite the stupid hiring policy; it's a fast-track to limited talent and limited diversity. Might as well hire applicants that only drive Acuras or something like that.

I'm doing my best to promote UNT outside of the USA.

I travel to Hong Kong about twice a year, sometimes more, and I always wear one of my North Texas shirts.  I fly United, so I always have a US layover from Dallas, usually in San Francisco, LA, Seattle or Chicago.  The layover greatly dilutes the number of Dallas residents traveling on the same international flight as me.  On one such trip, another American noticed my dark green shirt as we were going through Hong Kong customs.  He yelled to me, "Hey, you in the North Texas shirt, are you from Dallas?"  I looked up, acknowledged his question and replied that I was indeed from Dallas.  He told me that he was from Plano and another couple, overhearing our conversation, chimed in to say that they were from Ft. Worth.

My last trip this past April, a similar incident occurred when I was in the Hong Kong airport waiting in the security line to enter the airport gates.  An elderly woman noticed the block NORTH TEXAS (from Steve and Barry's) printed on my green shirt and asked if I was flying to Narita (Japan).  A little confused by her question, I just shook my head and said, "No."  Then she asked, "Oh, you're NOT from the North Texas area?" as she motioned at my shirt with her head.  After a short conversation, I learned that she was from Richardson but I don't think she had a clue that my shirt was promoting the University of North Texas and not the geographical location of the DFW metroplex.

I've also proudly displayed North Texas apparel in Brazil, the Bahamas, Canada, Japan, China and the Philippines.

Never gone overseas like that, but here in LA over the last nearly 5 years - nary a monthgoes by where someone doesn't take notice of something NT that i wear and strike up a conversation. Met NT, UT, A&M and TCU grads that way. Also met a few music people, and folks just from the DFW area.

Imo, some of these posts are just more examples of NT students having a inferiority complex for no known reason. No, a degree from NT is not going to be met with shouts of glee from recruiters nationwide; but neither are any of the other schools being mentioned.

My experience in the business world is that the school were someone received a degree is a very minor factor in hiring decisions. There are exceptions such as consulting firms that sell the pedigrees of their employees; but in the vast majority of companies, general factors such as interview skills, contacts, and experience are much more important.

My experience in the business world is that the school were someone received a degree is a very minor factor in hiring decisions.  There are exceptions such as consulting firms that sell the pedigrees of their employees; but in the vast majority of companies, general factors such as interview skills, contacts, and experience are much more important.

Agreed. This is my experience as well. I hardly even notice where someone went to school and even what degree they hold. Do you sound like you have a clue during an interview? Are you remotely familiar with the concepts that are discussed in the interview? Answer "yes" to these questions and you're in.

---During the MVC days we were probably better known outside the state than inside. We were in a conference with Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, and a lot of Mid-West Universities (a great basketball conference) Meanwhile inside of Texas we were mostly ignored.... because we were not a SWC member and they would not play us either partially because we had gone through integration and they hadn't so the rumors went. [note who they played then, mostly SEC and ACC teams] We had a lot of out of state students in that era partly because of our low out-of-state tuition then and also so many out-ot-state students I knew had families members in the DFW area who had moved here from up North.

---It bothers me that some posters consider us 2ed class. We have a lot of great programs which are better than most other universities in the state. Football is important but it is not the only thing to be considered. It just gets us recognition. For example Ivy leagues schools aren't so great at sports but they are considered good universities. I like sports but it is not the ultimate or only item to consider.

---Nice post from the now Californian. I ran into the same thing in San Fran a couple of summers ago when I had a NT shirt or sweatshirt on. Most assumed I was from Dallas area.

Imo, some of these posts are just more examples of NT students having a inferiority complex for no known reason.  No, a degree from NT is not going to be met with shouts of glee from recruiters nationwide; but neither are any of the other schools being mentioned. 

My experience in the business world is that the school were someone received a degree is a very minor factor in hiring decisions.  There are exceptions such as consulting firms that sell the pedigrees of their employees; but in the vast majority of companies, general factors such as interview skills, contacts, and experience are much more important.

Good post. I retired from a large corporation that judged by performance and results. Degrees, schools, etc were for water cooler talk and/or rolleyes.gif friendly wagers on sporting events laugh.gif

It is the perception that the general public has of UNT due to its feeble athletic programs.  Few alumni are interested in athletics given the fact that we play on such a small stage compared to the other large state universities.  To conclude, UNT needs to invest as heavily in athletics as it does in music, engineering, business, etc.

Exactly!

In my oppinion the university needs an enima! That is why I say Go Gretchen Go! I hope she cleans house. One of these days soon, and I hope Dr. Battaille knows this from the many years of past experiences she has at other major universities, is that there is ONE set of events on campus that brings back the most MONEY GIVERS(the alumni) and that is ATHLETICS.

Along the same lines we might also start out as a collective alumni to demand that our Exes association separate a bit from the unviversity and think for itself, rather than doing every thing the university wants it to do. Remember the contract that Green Stock had with the Exes to sell the hat that so many people here wanted? The university didn't like that and forced the Exes hand. Instead of building relationships with that venture, which would have done nothing but helped their cause, the Exes elected to take the low road and threatened to turn one alumn into an enemy, although that didn't happen as I'm still here! Same thing happened with this years SMU shirt. Rather than stepping up and promoting some rival spirit for the growth of this alumni base, the Exes took the ill advised oppinions of some on campus and politely said NO to it, thus forcing one of our alumns to finance that shirt on his own dime. That's not culitivating our alumni, that's pissing them off and turning them away. I know these two are tiny, small bits of examples how the Exes have operated in the past, but eventually they collect into one big nothing.

You won't see many of the previously mentioned schools doing that too often.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It is the perception that the general public has of UNT due to its feeble athletic programs.  Few alumni are interested in athletics given the fact that we play on such a small stage compared to the other large state universities.  To conclude, UNT needs to invest as heavily in athletics as it does in music, engineering, business, etc.

They do, that's the problem. Until very, very recently that has been a glaring academic weakness in or university. School administrators only wanted to be an art school, and did not want to invest in things like engineering. I hope that has changed, with the creation of a college of engineering...but that will take some serious capital.

Stop and take a look at what school spend on engineering departments; its a lot of cash.

I understand that some of the folks on this board are a probably in their early 20's just starting out, but here's an issue I have.  We (we meaning UNT grads) need to stop worrying about who's going to hire us and start worrying about who are WE GOING TO HIRE.  Yes, I know it is a bizzare, probably scary statement but the more entrepreneurs and self starters out there we have the better off we are going to be as a university.  Why do you think that aggies seeem to have such a good network of connections?  Is it because they are better students than us?  Better educated?  Hell no- that is ridiculous.  The reason is because they look out for each other.  They hire one another. 

Is there any reason UNT grads could not do that? No.  But what we need to do is to break out of this mind game of inferiority complexes and to filp the table.  Hire other UNT grads.  Network.  Start your own company.  Save your pennies.  Don't buy a BMW when you could invest it in a revenue generating asset.  Yes there is some truth to who you know is more than what you know, but the only way to turn the tables on that is to start out on your own.  UNT has a great Murphy Center for entrepreneurship.  Use it.

ASK NOT WHO WILL HIRE ME BUT WHO WILL I HIRE!!!!!!

queue marching music.

What a great thought Stan. I just graduated with an entrepreneurship degree this May and I definately plan to hire North Texas grads when I start my own business. At my current job, I always try to hire current North Texas students.

Your thought couldn't help but make me think. What if North Texas alumni gathered together to start a business, taking investments from local alumni, such as members on this board. Everyone could receive stock in the company for their investment, giving North Texas alumni and even current students the ability to invest in a North Texas alumni-run company. We could even donate a percentage of the company to the athletic department as well as the University in general. Maybe the athletic department and the University would openly support the venture considering it actually owned a part of the company.

I'm just throwing ideas around? What does everyone think?

What a great thought Stan.  I just graduated with an entrepreneurship degree this May and I definately plan to hire North Texas grads when I start my own business.  At my current job, I always try to hire current North Texas students.

Your thought couldn't help but make me think.  What if North Texas alumni gathered together to start a business, taking investments from local alumni, such as members on this board.  Everyone could receive stock in the company for their investment, giving North Texas alumni and even current students the ability to invest in a North Texas alumni-run company.  We could even donate a percentage of the company to the athletic department as well as the University in general.  Maybe the athletic department and the University would openly support the venture considering it actually owned a part of the company. 

I'm just throwing ideas around?  What does everyone think?

This isn't a pyramid scheme is it?....... rolleyes.gif

What a great thought Stan.  I just graduated with an entrepreneurship degree this May and I definately plan to hire North Texas grads when I start my own business.  At my current job, I always try to hire current North Texas students.

Your thought couldn't help but make me think.  What if North Texas alumni gathered together to start a business, taking investments from local alumni, such as members on this board.  Everyone could receive stock in the company for their investment, giving North Texas alumni and even current students the ability to invest in a North Texas alumni-run company.  We could even donate a percentage of the company to the athletic department as well as the University in general.   Maybe the athletic department and the University would openly support the venture considering it actually owned a part of the company. 

Sounds good.

Edited by Got5onIt

Texas Metro? Hmmm, I kind of like it. It sounds better than most of the other potential alternatives down the road because it's unique and starts with Texas. Texas State - Denton, or University of Texas at Denton (shoot me!!!!) don't sound to hot to me. I guess The University of Denton isn't too bad either. Similar small town names have seemed to work out pretty well for both Auburn and Clemson. Btw, not pushing for a name change but I just couldn't help myself. rolleyes.gif

North Texas is a geographical designation. It doesn't mean much any more as now Metroplex is usually used instead of north Texas. NT has campuses in Dallas and Fort Worth. We are truely the "University of the Texas Metroplex". In the standings and the sports headlines we would be "Texas Metro". It has a big, impressive sound. If some other school doesn't like the name-let them sue.

Well you are certainly enthusiastic about your general idea - not having a concept of what the "business" will be (or maybe you do - I don't know)- go create a business plan and let us know what you came up with. If it sounds like a solid plan then you might be surprised at those who would jump on board with either funding or their time and resources.

I'm a CPA who has worked for a multinational corporation for several years and I've never been laughed at or treated with disdain because of my alma mater. I've generally found quite a bit of respect for the business program etc. at North Texas. That being said, I do think that inferiority complexes still run rampant in Denton. There are a variety of reasons for that phenomena, but I think that it can eventually be overcome with both academic and athletic success. Getting that law school pushed through the legislature next year in addition to a near-term stadium groundbreaking wouldn't hurt us a bit.

I think thats a great quote. The place where I intern had a company dinner a few months back, and during the meal they started to talk about different universities. The president of the company went to both Vanderbilt and Stanford and started talking about the great programs these schools have. After about five minutes of other people talking about other universities, North Texas was mentioned. My bosses wife stated UNT had a great music program and they knew someone who was a national merit semi-finalist that was going to attend UNT. Another person asked me 'don't you attend UNT?' and asked me about other programs there. I told them about the experience with the business program I've had and how much the school is growing. Everyone there was impressed and I have never once felt looked down upon at work even though most of the people I work at have degrees from private universities.

We have a very bright future and we're going in the right direction thanks to individuals like RV and Dr. Pohl. We need to look at the big picture and be positive about it. I chose UNT over tech and A&M and there was a reason for it.

Lets be proud and loud and let other people know.

Maybe I was naive when it came to choosing a College but I never thought of UNT @ inferior to the other Big 3 (The 3:1 Female to Male ratio in Denton was my deciding factor - LOL).

But, it's not until one graduates that they truly appreciate the affect Athletic success has on perception.

I have never had anyone not be respectful regarding UNT academically - in fact it's the opposite.

I have to admit the only time I feel inferior (For a lack of a better word) is when my peers start talking about Fball and rivalries. ATM vs. TX or OU vs. TCU etc.

So, IMO academically UNT is a good school...

When we see all "Other" schools Flags, Tshirts etc - people where them because of athletic success not necessarily because of Academics.

UNT leadership must recognize that Athletic success against talented opponents is the key to Student/Alumni pride.

IMO if we would/could get a big NAME coach in here and pay the $3M salary it would change things quickly.

I am Financial Analyst for a very large Defense contractor and I have the same job as Baylor, TCU, KState, UT etc grads

Remember, the average college student retains 20% of what they learned in school.

I have met successful grads and less successful grads from all Universities.

Networking is key = It's not who you know or what you know - It's who you know AND what you know along with a little luck & hard work.

BE PROUD – after a few yrs in the work force no one really cares where you went to college, other than Sports talk!