How many on the board played football and at

calvin

I lettered in front yard football all five years before moving up to tackle with no pads on any of several local fields. There were some pretty tough HS and former HS players that played in those games. I quit at about age 23 after seeing a number of broken body parts and ER visits (never me thankfully). I've played a bit of flag fb along the way as well. Don't know why I never played organized fb. Guess it wasn't a priority for my parents.

7th and 8th grade Catholic school football. I was one mean, 135 pound pulling guard sumbitch! Hey, All-conference in the 8th grade. Decided to hang up the cleats until my Senior year in HS when I decided to join the team to make a difference. Started "getting in football shape" the summer of my senior year. Got really excited about the thought of playing for the Bishop Byrne Shamrocks (hey! don't laugh. The catholic girls were great fun!), equivilent to 2A ball. First scrimmage of the fall, I lined up against a 5ft, 260 pound hispanic guy for one-on-one blocking drills(I was bout 180# by then); big mistake! He proceeded to give me a forearm to the chin; kinda like a hard uppercut. He knocked the crap out of me. I was not much use for the team the rest of the season. blink.gif

Edited by DeepGreen

I played my whole life, and played 4 years of high school.  Tried the walk-on thing after graduating high school unfortunately it didnt work out for me.  Interested in what other people played.

Played thru high school, lucky to have been part of the 1972 KY State Championship team. Unlucky enough to get my tibia broken in practice thus ending my linebacking "career". I wasn't big enough or talented enough to have played D1 ball but I still like to indulge in "if only I didn't break the leg" day dreams...I miss the game, the comradarie and the excitement but a new generation of my family is carrying the torch now so I guess you could say I'm just the old "Athletic Supporter" now...

blink.gif

I played on varsity and started two seasons as a defensive tackle/tight end for a 5A team that went to the state quarter finals my senior year (We lost to Southlake Carrol in the 2002 playoffs). I had offers from SFA and Tarleton State, but turned them down becuase of chronic knee problems and the fact that i liked having a life outside of playing football.

What I don't get is that some of my teamates (one is a starter at OU and another a starter at Baylor) never even got offers from UNT, and I talked to a few and they said they would of seriously considered UNT if they had been approached.

Growing up in Plano and going to Plano East, I started on the 9th and 10th grade teams, missed my junior year with a knee injury, and then started as a senior defensive end and won all-district 1st team and was voted defensive player of the year for Plano East by my teammates.

I was 190 lbs defensive with a knee injury history. I was recruited to play at Austin College (Sherman, TX) but they don't have athletic scholarships (not that they would have offered me one) but I didn't go there as that is one expensive school. Therefore, I hung up my cleats for good after high school.

All in all, I was a good high school player but my body wouldn't have made it through four years of college. In retrospect I can't complain about my decision. I had a great experience at North Texas and made many good friends. Now 17 years after highschool my knee is shot but I'm sure it wouldn've gone much quicker if I had tried to play college ball.

Played thru high school, lucky to have been part of the 1972 KY State Championship team. Unlucky enough to get my tibia broken in practice thus ending my linebacking "career". I wasn't big enough or talented enough to have played D1 ball but I still like to indulge in "if only I didn't break the leg" day dreams...I miss the game, the comradarie and the excitement but a new generation of my family is carrying the torch now so I guess you could say I'm just the old "Athletic Supporter" now...

blink.gif

Did your boy sign on anywhere MoonDad?

What I don't get is that some of my teamates (one is a starter at OU and another a starter at Baylor) never even got offers from UNT, and I talked to a few and they said they would of seriously considered UNT if they had been approached.

they must have been in Ramon Flanigan's DFW recruiting area. mad.gif

Edited by LoveMG

Played from 5th grade on up through High School(RB and LB at Burleson), which at the time was in the Arlington/HEB 5A district. After being out of football for 3 years I tried out during the walkon session day at NT for the spring of '88 as a punter and did decent enough to be invited to participate that year. Unfortunately Bron Beal was coming off of his second All conference season and I would have ended up on the JV team. So I decided to get on with trying to get out of school. Still, I met a lot of great people that spring especially Corky, and working with Bron that semester truly taught me a lot, as well as how very little I actually knew about punting. My only regret was that I didn't meet him earlier in life. Coaching is really everything in most sports and this proved that to me more than any time in my life.

Rick

biggrin.gif Played little league, junior high, and all 4 years of high school in DeSoto. Played varsity 3 years, started 2. 1st team all district my senior year.

Considered a few Jr.Colleges, had some contact with Sam Houston St. & Tarleton St. I did not want to play college ball unless it was Division 1. I had no offers, but a Baylor recruiter called me once.

I was all set to go to Syracuse University as a normal college student -> accepted there, etc. When my head coach talked me into playing football to pay for my education. Ended up playing at - TAKE A BREATH- Trinity University, for academic reasons. They paid for all classes and books, I had to pay for housing & food. Played one year and hated it. Transferred to a Dallas CC, then UNT.

My OL coach in High School told me and a good friend of mine that I would hate small time football, coming from a Texas 5A school, boy was he right. He insisted I try to walk on at UNT before I decided to head to San Antonio.

Well, my good friend ended up going to Eastrn New Mexico St., where he played for one season as well. He then took my coaches advice and walked on at UNT. You guys might know him, Randall Harris.

Anyway, I REGRET not attempting to walk on. Oh well. So is life. I now "live my dreams" with a PS2 and NCAA football 2003, 4, 5, & 6. tongue.gif

Did I mention my wife HATES my PS2? laugh.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

Played 8th grade. One mean DB/QB/WR. Had a coach recognize my talent as a 5' 100 pound white defensive back and suggested I be a manager/trainer in high school. Most people might have thought that was dumb. But I did it, got a scholarship at NT in 93 as a trainer/switched to manager in 94(more money). Paid attention to the coaches and what they were teaching. Became a coach myself and love every minute of it.

I did once have an 86 yard touchdown run in my final B team game at the Tomatoe bowl in Jacksonville. I went out on top.

Edited by Maverick

Played 8th grade. One mean DB/QB/WR. Had a coach recognize my talent as a 5' 100 pound white defensive back and suggested I be a manager/trainer in high school. Most people might have thought that was dumb.

I had a similar but much shorter-lived time as a 4'11", 100 lb (maybe) DB/QB/WR in junior high. They started me out as a WR until they realized I played like a safety. I was a B-team QB only because I was small and squirmy and had the rare ability to throw with either hand, but I was too short to see over the O-line so they could only call roll-outs (but in either direction). I was not terribly motivated on the offensive end, however. And since I had not been physically blessed in size or strength, I wouldn't have made it far, but my above-average rage issues made me a favorite of the defense.

My mother, worried for my safety, pulled me out of football, which was fine.

She put me back in soccer, which I'd played since I was four and arguably better suited for, but was much rougher on me physically than football was.

I have managed or coached football, basketball, and soccer at various levels, and was once a UIL referee in basketball.

Started playing young in pee-wee, kept with it all through middle school and high school. Played 4 years of O-line at Lewisville for the Fighting Farmers. No state titles for me though, best we ever did was quarter-finals. Had a couple of offers from a couple of small colleges that I didn't want to go to. And just like Got5onit, I had been told I would hate small time football after playing high school at the 5A level. Besides it was time for my knees to leave football behind. I liked walking too much.

After football I decided to go in the opposite direction...I had debated in high school and had an offer to join one of the top college debate programs in the nation at North Texas, so I took them up on that and did the debate thing for a couple of years.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Played 6 years, Jr. and Sr. years as a varsity 2 way starter for Northwest at LB, and *gulp* C. Lack of bulk hampered me--(dammit!!)--as a 6'2" 170lb center has limitations. But if you were a DL in a 4-3, I was on you before you knew what hit you, brother. laugh.gif

Main contribution was as a deep snapper/C, and pretty fair special teams player as a kick-blocker. A couple of all-district/all-area selections as a senior, and some interest from Pittsburg St. at LB. Too bad they probably don't want 42 year olds, but hey, I'm at a playing weight of 230 now.

Accepted at UT and UNT, and tried walking on the baseball team in Austin in 1983. HAHAH!! Yeah, right. rolleyes.gif

God bless intramural sports.

Edited by LongJim

2 years Jr. High and 4 years high school - Class B (now Class A). 150 lb. guard/tackle going both ways. We won our District 7 years in a row. Captain my senior year and All District junior and senior years. Offer from McMUrray. Final game was for Regional tirtle (as far as you could go in cool.gif. Opposed by 260 pound tackkle with scholarship to A&M. We lost. Thought about waqlking on at NT but was way too small for even back then. Wish I had the weight I do now. Our only workout with weights was lifting bales of hay.

I played guard and linebacker in Indiana, grades 9-12. We ran that old Green Bay offense where I pulled and took on whomever was in my running back's way on the corner.

It was fun but at 170 lbs I was not going to play at the next level. Besides, I was not that great...bounced back and forth between 1st and 2nd string.

I DO LOVE THE GAME!

7th grade 3A junior high. Wide receiver. Started as 3rd string but made my way up to being semi-first. Me and another guy would switch out every down to run in the plays. Didn't play afterwards as I was always too small for football. Stepdad was my coach and still coaches 2A high school ball.