Mississippi State (12/17/23)

CMJ

UNT is shooting 54%, MSU 41%, and UNT also has a better 3 pct. And yet UNT is down, and it speaks to who is the more physical team and who was better at hounding the other team. MSU has a 13-0 lead on points of turnovers. And MSU has given up only 1 turnover. UNT has to force them to make some mistakes if they want a shot at winning this.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

If you ask me the team will not be good as long as it has several players who do not at all contribute offensiveily. I thought Sissoko drawing some very tough assginments, played great defense today at times, Stone was also ok there.

However when you have two guys who combine for 39 minutes also combine for 2 points, and zero field goals that is a problem if it repeats. And this sure doesn't feel like a first.

If Sissoko gets some offensive mojo back and learns how to handle pressure from good centers when he is on offense, then i think this team contend in the AAC. Without that, I don't see enough folks capable of creating their own space for that to end well without someone up the middle scoring a bit.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

That was one of the worst losses I've seen by our guys in several years.  MSU has a good team, but NT made way too many turnovers.  Rubin is a good #2 guard, but he's not much of a point guard.  Anytime your top scorers are also leading the team in turnovers, that's a recipe for frustration. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This offense is terrible. We simply don’t have any offensive players aside from Jason Edwards. And the offensive sets are terrible. Hodge needs to change this style of offense coz it stinks and it does nothing for these guys. All I see are dribble handoffs and passing around the perimeter. No movement towards the lane from guys without the ball. It’s ugly to watch. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like we have a lot of good offensive pieces, but no one has stepped up as the guy that can be reliably leaned on whenever we need a bucket or free throws like Tylor. I thought Edwards was the top choice to be that guy, but I don't think he gets enough opportunities. I'm not a fan of subbing 2-3 guys out at every other dead ball, so I think some of it is on the coaching decisions. I always believe to coach accordingly to the game, not on the substitution patterns you practiced. If we've got a hot hand, leave him in there!!

Also I agree with @NTXDJ. Rubin is not a PG.

13 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I feel like we have a lot of good offensive pieces…

I thought that also, but 10 games in, Edward’s is the only one who is aggressive offensively and looks for his shot. Aaron was good the first couple of games, Ruben showed for a couple more, but that’s it. Very disappointed in Buggs and Noland. I thought those two would be more dynamic offensively for us, but they’re not. 

Where was Walker? I thought he could play?

• Upvote 1