Amateur Athletics in College Are Officially Over - NCAA Proposes Rule Changes

TreeFiddy

5 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

What does this mean for us now?  It seems like this is goodbye for us now and I wasn't yet ready to give up something that I treasure so much. 

Its not goodbye at all.  It might be goodbye in terms of competing at a Top 40-50 level but honestly that was already in existence for virtually all of the G5.  

I also wouldn't say that what is being proposed is what will actually happen.  Will there be a split?  No question about it.  But it doesn't mean that G5 schools will disband football.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

The NCAA is spineless.  They don't know what to do, so they will just do nothing, and let the free market run it's course.

This just shows how out of control the blatant buying of players really is.

The NCAA had no choice.  It was this or they risk a total breakaway.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This will simply kill most college sports; how many schools can even afford to pay for that? 

"He wrote that the new policy would help gender equity by demanding that schools provide equal NIL investments for their men's and women's teams. The proposed new model would require schools in the top tier to set aside at least $30,000 per athlete every year for at least half of their athletes in "an enhanced educational trust fund."

I guess a college education is completely worthless now.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The only way the NCAA saves FBS football is by splitting all TV money equally amongst all FBS football programs and instilling a salary cap. Otherwise, the sport will die and thousands of kids will lose their opportunity to earn a college scholarship amongst which hundreds will never even get the chance to make it to the NFL. Paying players isn't the problem, it's the greed amongst the top 10-20 programs that is doing this. The original issue is players wanted a piece of the pie. Fast-forward several years and the players still aren't getting a piece of the pie. Instead, wealthy fanbases have baked their own pies to distribute to their players. It's worst than what it should have been. Not impossible to go back and correct mistakes but this certainly feels like the point of no return if these new rules pass.

If schools start dropping football, not just those teams go away. There are a lot of teams on campuses to comply with Title 9, and many of those will also have to go away. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

This will simply kill most college sports; how many schools can even afford to pay for that? 

"He wrote that the new policy would help gender equity by demanding that schools provide equal NIL investments for their men's and women's teams. The proposed new model would require schools in the top tier to set aside at least $30,000 per athlete every year for at least half of their athletes in "an enhanced educational trust fund."

I guess a college education is completely worthless now.

Worthless how?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

If schools start dropping football, not just those teams go away. There are a lot of teams on campuses to comply with Title 9, and many of those will also have to go away. 

Yes great point I didn't think about. We're talking tens of thousands of young athletes losing their opportunities to compete at the next level and finance their educations with their skills. This only benefits the top high school athletes who will be offered scholarships by the wealthiest schools.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I would say $30,000 per year is probably what they are already receiving in a public college scholarship.  It doesn't say $30,000 cash per athlete.

I am unsure about that; I read this as having nothing to do with scholarships. 

• Upvote 2

Should just convert to MLB minor league or Armed Forces GI bill approach.  No school while you are working/playing.  School pays your room and board and a salary while playing sports. Schools put money in a fund and the players can access their funds after their playing time is over for school or whatever.

This is about to go nuclear.

• Upvote 1

Who is paying for all of this? Especially on our level, who is going to fork over their money year after year so some 18 year old can drive a nicer car than they do? Most athletic departments aren't exactly rolling in free cash. I don't see how this ends well.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The only way the NCAA saves FBS football is by splitting all TV money equally amongst all FBS football programs and instilling a salary cap. Otherwise, the sport will die and thousands of kids will lose their opportunity to earn a college scholarship amongst which hundreds will never even get the chance to make it to the NFL. Paying players isn't the problem, it's the greed amongst the top 10-20 programs that is doing this. The original issue is players wanted a piece of the pie. Fast-forward several years and the players still aren't getting a piece of the pie. Instead, wealthy fanbases have baked their own pies to distribute to their players. It's worst than what it should have been. Not impossible to go back and correct mistakes but this certainly feels like the point of no return if these new rules pass.

I see a massive lawsuit coming.

• Upvote 2