Quarterback

Cr1028

24 minutes ago, greenminer said:

@Cr1028 is correct: This is all right up the same alley as coach speak.

If you can find the post game interview from the UAB game, you can find another quote.  I don't recall what he said exactly, but he loves playing for Morris, loves this system and is focused on next year.

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

If you can find the post game interview from the UAB game, you can find another quote.  I don't recall what he said exactly, but he loves playing for Morris, loves this system and is focused on next year.

Conversely, if you watched Maclin in the post UAB presser, I knew he was gone.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Jamori Maclin has played four seasons of college football. He’s had one great season, one MEH season and two unproductive seasons. The great season was in Eric Morris’ offense. 
My money is on Eric Morris having another 1,000 receiver next season and Maclin reverting back to having a MEH or unproductive season. 

I agree with most of that, just pointing out people that were surprised Maclin was leaving clearly didn't watch the UAB post game presser where he showed up wearing zero UNT logo.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Jamori Maclin has played four seasons of college football. He’s had one great season, one MEH season and two unproductive seasons. The great season was in Eric Morris’ offense. 
My money is on Eric Morris having another 1,000 receiver next season and Maclin reverting back to having a MEH or unproductive season. 

This is what I don’t get. If your goal is the NFL, why leave a system where you put up numbers and we’re successful?  The NFL will find you if you put up numbers. Think Shorter is regretting his decision?

37 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I agree with most of that, just pointing out people that were surprised Maclin was leaving clearly didn't watch the UAB post game presser where he showed up wearing zero UNT logo.

That is what pisses me off. Our school gave you an opportunity and at the first sign of success you are gone. At least show some respect and gratitude towards the school that gave you that shot. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Ray 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

@Cr1028 is correct: This is all right up the same alley as coach speak.

"Coach speak" is prepared answers to anticipated questions. I am assuming that his comments were what the police call "excited utterances.", which are considered the most credible, and are exceptions to the "hear say" rule.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

"Coach speak" is prepared answers to anticipated questions.

That's not really how I think of it when I refer to coach speak.  You hear the same things/themes,  it is mostly because these guys (coaches and players) hear the same things uttered from their peers, and their peers' peers, when addressing the media.  The same ol' tired tropes keep reappearing.  Variations of "team first" "I love these guys", etc, work because they worked for the exact same question their peers answered.  There are more themes that get passed down, and you get the point.  I don't have it "prepared" myself, but I have a good idea of how these guys are going to finish their sentences.

It ends up being repetitive, and usually doesn't have much substance to it.  Sometimes, and this is hilarious, it doesn't even address the question at hand.

Unfortunately, sincerity takes a back seat.

Edited by greenminer

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

One catch for ten yards just to be on a SEC team vs staying put and potentially putting up 1,000 yards is poor decision making. 

An opportunity to play for an SEC title, and then at the end of the season do a demonstrative workout in front of the entire NFL.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're trying to keep it simple when it is not.  I think if it were so stupid-ly simple in our favor, it wouldn't be happening so much.

Edited by greenminer

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

An opportunity to play for an SEC title, and then at the end of the season do a demonstrative workout in front of the entire NFL.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're trying to keep it simple when it is not.  I think if it were so stupid-ly simple in our favor, it wouldn't be happening so much.

Don’t forget, the Auburn collective pays players $7400 per month just to be on the team. Shorter made the best decision for his situation. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Eagle-96 said:

Don’t forget, the Auburn collective pays players $7400 per month just to be on the team. Shorter made the best decision for his situation. 

Did he?  That is $29,600 for the year. He caught 1 pass. How much did he potentially lose in future earnings by having a poor year?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Did he?  That is $29,600 for the year. He caught 1 pass. How much did he potentially lose in future earnings by having a poor year?

Heard a rumor that he didn't want to leave, but the money was too good...way beyond the. figure suggested above.

I also wish I had more insight into what NFL scouts think.  Specifically, how much weight is put on college production and how they compare it to the pro day performance...whether the pro day was a pleasant surprise vs. a dissapointment.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Heard a rumor that he didn't want to leave, but the money was too good...way beyond the. figure suggested above.

I heard that was Nixon. That he wanted to stay but was a recent father and Auburn was offering $150,000. I believe that came straight from Morris. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Neither he or Nixon are NFL bound. They both cashed in on some pretty good seed money to start their professional lives. Easily a down payment on a house or better. Plus despite it not being a better school at all, Auburn still has better name recognition nationally (and especially in the South) than UNT - in addition to their alumni network helping you out. We have none of that. I hate it, but it is the gospel truth. We simply cannot offer that kind of money and we do not matter to most of the country. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

If you go look at his stats here, he wasn't *truly* the world beater everyone here likes to think. He is like Maclin, had a good season. Yes, I think he should have stayed here, but IMO it doesn't hurt his potential earnings since Auburn has more WRs in the league and has more opportunity to get in front of scout eyes. 

• Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

If you go look at his stats here, he wasn't *truly* the world beater everyone here likes to think. He is like Maclin, had a good season. Yes, I think he should have stayed here, but IMO it doesn't hurt his potential earnings since Auburn has more WRs in the league and has more opportunity to get in front of scout eyes. 

Yeah especially when Shorter could've improved on his best season and still not been drafted. He has more of a NFL build, but our best WR recently in Darden put up about twice his yards and TDs and nearly won the award for best college WR in the country and he only went in the 4th round. Our players rarely get drafted, it took those insane stats just to get seen.

1000 yards and 15 touchdowns (a generous assumption) here would've never been a magic pill for Shorter to suddenly get drafted into the NFL. Hate the game not the players, they're just trying to do what is best for themselves. We don't need to do victory laps when players that played well for us don't have success at their next stop like jealous exes. Just root for the guys we have here on the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I went to Frisco Emerson / Collyville Heritage game Friday night. Frisco won 59 to 47 . Their quarterback passed for 3 touchdowns, ran for 3 more, and is committed to OU. The Collyville quarterback also passed for 3 touchdowns,ran for 2, and according to DMN has an offer from UNT.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Coltonw83 said:

Yeah especially when Shorter could've improved on his best season and still not been drafted. He has more of a NFL build, but our best WR recently in Darden put up about twice his yards and TDs and nearly won the award for best college WR in the country and he only went in the 4th round. Our players rarely get drafted, it took those insane stats just to get seen.

1000 yards and 15 touchdowns (a generous assumption) here would've never been a magic pill for Shorter to suddenly get drafted into the NFL. Hate the game not the players, they're just trying to do what is best for themselves. We don't need to do victory laps when players that played well for us don't have success at their next stop like jealous exes. Just root for the guys we have here on the team.

playing devils advocate here....If darden had the size of shorter he would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick at worst.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1