LSU (11/17/2023) - Charleston Classic

GMG_Dallas

28 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The last two games there were countless times we got in the paint and had the ball knocked away from us.  Our ball security down there is lacking so far.

Especially true for a team that is really 4 guards and half center.  Ball security has been really bad for the amount of guards on the floor.  Not to mention... make lay-ups.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I still thought this LSU game was a W.

Honestly both games were very winnable. I do think if we lose out next game it will be a disappointment. Have to close out games. Have to be better in the paint. Have to find the guy who is taking those clutch shots. 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I still thought this LSU game was a W.

We played two games against solid power conference opponents on neutral territory--teams that are expected to finish in the bottom half of their respective conferences, but respectable opponents nonetheless.  They were both pretty close to being toss-ups, going into them, so losing both really, really sucks.  I still am generally optimistic about the season, but this was a massive swing and a miss.  The rest of our schedule is filled with teams that either are going to be extremely difficult to beat or teams that won't really move the needle much, win or lose.

Disclaimer: I'm probably placing too much psychic weight on each basketball game, due to our football program being in disarray...

• Upvote 5

Season is not over. Let's reevaluate our strengths and focus on making good shot selections. We're fighting with legitimate competition and have a great chance to win tomorrow.

Live to see another day, let's get back over .500

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

This. Please elaborate. 

He's saying that he isn't good enough to earn any meaningful minutes. He a good kid the plays hard in practice and doesn't complain. If he could help at all, he would have played today in the first half when our bigs both had 3 fouls. I've wanted to see him play because he looks like a player but obviously the coaches don't think he would help. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shark84 said:

He's saying that he isn't good enough to earn any meaningful minutes. He a good kid the plays hard in practice and doesn't complain. If he could help at all, he would have played today in the first half when our bigs both had 3 fouls. I've wanted to see him play because he looks like a player but obviously the coaches don't think he would help. 

I’m more interested why Dixon doesn’t get minutes. He and Cotton (since Walker seems to be out the year) would make a good 9/10 off the bench when needed. 8 man rotation can wear down and doesn’t hurt to have a couple guys who could give you a 2-3 minute run. 

• Upvote 1

The past two games were very winnable. Although we lack the size and interior presence as the other two, we hung with them. What lost us the games was our knack for missing layups, turnovers and loose handles. Last year, I know they didn’t initiate the offense until the shot clock has run down, but TP would bail us out or Kai hitting an open jumper. This time, we don’t have a guy who can create his own shot or create for others. Too much passing the ball deep into the shot clock which then forces bad shots against the shot clock. These guys aren’t iso players. I don’t see anyone able to beat their guy off the dribble. PnR easily gets stalled. Maybe more motion on offense or setting off-ball screens to get our shooters open shots. Would’ve been great to at least win one of the two games to show we’re an up and coming G5 program the nation could pay attention to. We still can be, but the national exposure truly would’ve carried the momentum from the NIT

Edited by 3_n_out
  • Upvote 3